Shinko 244 vs Kenda k270 vs IRC GP1 whos the winner?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Shinko 244 vs Kenda k270 vs IRC GP1 whos the winner?

Ok so I have mulled over the boards for the best option dirt and street front tire. I know these all have the same tread pattern but the compounds differ. Sounds like the kenda is softer than the shinko has any one tried both and preferred one over the other? looks like most are going with the shinko here. Has anyone tried the IRC GP1? What were your thoughts on that tire? I notice it cost more than the other two. I recently bought Mark in Washington bike. He changed the front to a tw302 it's good on the street not great in the gravel. I will be riding mostly hard pack dirt but some gravel forest service and blm roads and street.

When I am just out for a quick ride it will be street. When I go with a group of guys it's street to get to the off road camping so 60/40 street off road. Any input is appreciated. I have learned a lot scouring these boards some great info and sharp members here. Thanks Sly

It's virgin territory, more or less.

Not a lot of people have used these tires for long enough to get wear comparisons. Even fewer have tried more than one.

I've used all three in the REAR of larger, heavier dualsports with gobs more horsepower and have very definite opinions about them in their "normal" intended use.

The same goes for their skinny 21" counterparts up front. But that's's comparing apples to oranges.

We'll see how they all shake out as REAR tires on the FRONT of a TW.

Try the IRC and let us know how it works/wears.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yeah I might give it the old college try

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Do us a favor and take measurements and weights if you can.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I've run a 270 and currently have a 244, both in 5.10-18. Barely a wink of difference between the two. Best i can tell is that at extreme lean angles and the associated insanely high cornering speeds, the 270 gets squirrely, then lets go, and the 244 hangs in there longer before letting go, but gives no warning. Shop for price and don't worry about it, because unless you're a peg-dragging lunatic, you won't be able to tell them apart.

Thanks Guys looks like no one has tried the IRC GP1 probably due to the extra cost for the same tire... I am still debating on going with the tried and proven 244. Or taking one for the team and trying the IRC out.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Thanks Guys looks like no one has tried the IRC GP1 probably due to the extra cost for the same tire... I am still debating on going with the tried and proven 244. Or taking one for the team and trying the IRC out.

I have the IRC GP1 in my shed. Will be mounting it soon. The shinko was sold out in 5.10 last fall when I bought this tire. Read good reviews from other bikes (supermoto conversions to knobbies) using this tire. When I have it mounted and in use I will post up.

Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by dustyg View Post
    I have the IRC GP1 in my shed. Will be mounting it soon. The shinko was sold out in 5.10 last fall when I bought this tire. Read good reviews from other bikes (supermoto conversions to knobbies) using this tire. When I have it mounted and in use I will post up.

Dusty

Is it heavier than the shinko? Thanks let me know what you think of it still on the fence here

I am not sure about the overall performance of the Shinko,as I just had one installed this week and tested it offroad today,but it beats the stocker hands down.It feels way more planted and inspires a whole lot more confidence than the stock tire did in loose gravel and mud.Even had it on some slushy ice without any major drama.Next time out I will head for some sand.

It feels ok on the pavement also.Apparently it was a bear to balance and took 13 weights.I went with the 5.10-18.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Interesting these 3 tires have similar tread pattern. I suspect all three of these are much better than the stock. I've yet to hear someone say the stock tires are better than any of these.

Only comments I could add to Dubster', which I agree with, are when off-road riding, even on trails, I have much more confidence with the tire aired down to around 10-12 psi. I don't feel the same confidence riding off-road with the tires at near highway tire pressures.

I'll probably never feel real comfortable in sand, especially deeper sand. But I'll keep doing it anyway, just not comfortably. I treat sand as the enemy waiting to ambush me! ha ha.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links