• 1 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Adventerious Dutchman
  • 1 Post By Adventerious Dutchman
  • 1 Post By ronnydog

Thread: Any suggestions?

Junior Member Adventerious Dutchman's Avatar

Any suggestions?

Hi everyone! New to the forum (although I've been a reader for a while). I've recently acquired a 2007 TW200 (3rd owner, 12880 miles, originally purchased by my Dad and second owner was close to the family). I'm currently dealing with the base gasket problem and will be installing new rings on reassembly. Chain and sprockets are also worn out and I'll be replacing those with a 15/50 combo. New OEM tires. Other than the leak the little beastie seams to happily accept anything I challenge it to and the only reason I'm changing the final gear ratio is to hopefully gain a little top end speed on the pavement. Can anyone think of anything important I need to know? Are there any suggestions about what I've mentioned or maybe things not mentioned? All input is appreciated! Thanks ahead of time and happy trails!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cowboyjeff and Ken like this.

Look at a new front tire and handgaurds. I use Tusk handgaurds and they have been great, others may have different suggestions. The Shinko 241 front tire seems universally accepted as excelent on road and off, I don' t have it, so I can't comment with any authority other than what I have read here. Those two items will reduce the likelihood of crashing and the likelihood of getting stuck withoit a clutch or front brake out in the boonies.
    Last edited by Mattwings; 05-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    cowboyjeff, Ken, Fred and 1 others like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

shinko 244 or 241 are both better options than the stock tire.

you can check out the links below in my signature for other modification options, but mostly ride it and enjoy.

welcome!
    cowboyjeff and Ken like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would leave the front sprocket alone and change the back one. Less to go wrong and easier to do.
    JerseyJeeper and cowboyjeff like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Ken
    Welcome to the forum. The base gasket was the only thing ever wrong with mine. Other than that normal maintenance until 42000 miles. I changed the base gasket and didn't change piston or rings the cylinders still measured in spec and looked great. Enjoy the ride.
    Mattwings likes this.

Unless maintaining a stock configuration is important to you I would recommend not buying a new stock TrailWing tire for the front. Something like the Shinko 241 will likely yield a safer, better handling TW experience.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately the new tires were already on by the time I started reading your replies and doing the extra research - Shinko's front & back next time. Base gasket got kind of mangled getting the piston & rings back into their home and she leaked just a little right away. With less than 100 miles into the new set (plenty of time to get it hot and cold a couple of times) I went ahead and did the no-no. I untorqued the head/cylinder assembly, carefully lifted it about 1/16" and used a pair of teeezers to gently ease the base gasket a wee bit farther under the cylinder (it appeared to be pooched out just a smidge) and re-torqued everything going 1 pound o er spec (reason being is everything had already been squished to spec once). I'm here to tell you it hasn't leaked one single drop ever since. I'm not new to engine rebuilds and machine shop work so I know you're never supposed to do this, but I took the chance and prevailed. The sprocket change makes it a whole new bike! In my opinion Yamadog should have done this in the first place! I now can use 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd is a powerhouse and on the pavement I can cruise at around 67 same rpm (feels like it to me anyway) that 50 was before. I can't complain about 74 mpg either. Field day coming up for us ham radio operators in June, I look forward to loading it to the gills and camping out. Keep the suggestions coming, I'm all ears!
    LuvNot likes this.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that was all about 700 miles and 3 oil changes ago. She feels spry as a teenager ready to play now and it's hard to keep it reasonable in our 50 zone :-)
    LuvNot likes this.

Build it to a 230 , 6 speed!
    ronnydog
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

Sponosred Links