Storage Tube / Fuel Bottle
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Retrofit
  • 1 Post By joedirt1970

Thread: Storage Tube / Fuel Bottle

  1. #1
    Senior Member Retrofit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Simi Valley So Calif.
    Posts
    395
    Im sure this has been posted before, AND i stole the idea off another website almost a year ago(that i dont remember so i cant take credit). just got around to it today and liked it enough to share. Know its not a huge about of fuel, but thinking that if I was outback on a trail someplace and i had to switch to reserve, id sure like an extra 1/4 gallon of fuel to make is someplace than pushing wishing I had just a tad more.



    MSR 30oz / 1 liter backpack camp fuel bottle







    Tight fit into Storage tube. there is NO wiggle room at all (maybe at top but not along sides.)







    seems custom fit as if made for this







    put on cap and read to go



    overheat likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member peruano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lower Rio Grande, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,702
    Retro, See sticky #2 in this section of the forum. This seems a good time to suggest to empty that liter of fuel in the tank as soon as you have the space, rather than waiting until you are on reserve. Its far safer to carry in the main tank than in an aluminum bottle attached to the back of the bike, even if protected by a plastic tube. Caps vibrate loose and leak, sand vibrates against soft metals and cause punctures, heating gas in a small container without adequate airspace can cause pressure buildups etc. etc. etc. We all carry extra gas once in awhile, but the watch word is dump it into the tank as soon as possible where its safest to carry it. Just a safety perspective. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

    Hidden Content

    Central New Mexico

  3. #3
    Member bend42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    ... suggest to empty that liter of fuel in the tank as soon as you have the space, ... Tom


    Echo Tom's recommendation above!! Plus, it looks like you are using R-clamps to secure the 'Famous tube' to the bike. I have found that even aviation grade R-clamps break very quickly when exposed to hard, off road riding. I've broken 4 so far in the last year. So check them often to be sure they aren't developing cracks. John

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Retrofit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Simi Valley So Calif.
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by bend42 View Post
    Echo Tom's recommendation above!! Plus, it looks like you are using R-clamps to secure the 'Famous tube' to the bike. I have found that even aviation grade R-clamps break very quickly when exposed to hard, off road riding. I've broken 4 so far in the last year. So check them often to be sure they aren't developing cracks. John


    Orginally this was to carry a light first aid kit so I wasnt worried about weight that much. Now that plans might changed, im going back and looking at building a bracket or stronger mount instead of it just hanging. Thanks for the concern.

  6. #5
    Junior Member JoseARuiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hay! I do appreciated you, post, I am going to explore the posibility, and set up my trail spear full or TSF TANK. Thanks

  7. #6
    Senior Member joedirt1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cardiff by the Sea, CA
    Posts
    1,345
    I concur with the comments above. I carry two MS canisters. Both times the cap has come off the storage tube and I lost my canister. Luckily each time someone was behind me and saw the canisters on the trail AND the tube cap. I am thinking of attaching some sort of lock system, but I haven't found anything yet.



    Another member has this great looking concept too.



    3" Quick Fists - these are transportation grade rubber clamps that were originally designed to hold fire hose nozzles to the side of a fire truck. I bought mine on ebay. They hold a 1 liter fuel bottle very securely. I mounted the Quick Fists to pieces of flat aluminum stock 1.5" wide by 1/8" thick by 5" long. These were then mounted to the forks using the lower triple clamp bolts. This mounting provides clearance for the turn signals and also for the gas tank during full lock turns. See pics below:













    overheat likes this.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

    2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

    Hidden Content

  8. #7
    Member Matthew Rowland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ouchita Mountains, Arkansas
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    I concur with the comments above. I carry two MS canisters. Both times the cap has come off the storage tube and I lost my canister. Luckily each time someone was behind me and saw the canisters on the trail AND the tube cap. I am thinking of attaching some sort of lock system, but I haven't found anything yet.



    Another member has this great looking concept too.



    3" Quick Fists - these are transportation grade rubber clamps that were originally designed to hold fire hose nozzles to the side of a fire truck. I bought mine on ebay. They hold a 1 liter fuel bottle very securely. I mounted the Quick Fists to pieces of flat aluminum stock 1.5" wide by 1/8" thick by 5" long. These were then mounted to the forks using the lower triple clamp bolts. This mounting provides clearance for the turn signals and also for the gas tank during full lock turns. See pics below:















    And he lights them all off for an extra few MPG's!
    Hidden Content



    2007 TW200, Moose Racing Contour handgaurds, Tool Tube, 12 volt socket, H4 bulb, gel grips.

  9. #8
    Senior Member TuggerHiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    362




    they havent dropped off yet...I have two MSR bottles if I need them, but I think the expanded tool set should be in one of these
    Hidden Content



    2007 T'dub

    Cyclerack/Dual Northern Tool Boxes/AVG Miglia Helmet/Infamous Tubes/Fanny Pack/ATV Tank bag

  10. #9
    Senior Member joedirt1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cardiff by the Sea, CA
    Posts
    1,345
    Don't you ever bottom out the rear end? Will the tire clear if you do?
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

    2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

    Hidden Content

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. The Famous Storage Tube
    By rm_hm in forum Sticky threads
    Replies: 193
    Last Post: 08-06-2018, 06:16 PM
  2. Storage Options
    By [email protected] in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 12:49 AM
  3. Out of storage
    By Ssokzon in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 10:20 AM
  4. How to carry a water bottle With a cyclerack
    By small's in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM
  5. Stainless water bottle for fuel?
    By Tirebiter in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Search tags for this page

ebay plastic storge box for quad bike
,
fender mount fuel bottle
,
fuel tank bottle youtube
,

motorcycle fuel bottle

,

msr fuel bottle holder

,
tw200 forum tube for msr bottle
,

tw200 fuel storage

,

tw200 fuel storage tube

,

tw200 fuel storge

,
tw200 lower triple clamp
,
tw200 storage tube
,
tw200 tool tube
Click on a term to search for related topics.