Like Tree19Likes
  • 8 Post By MrSandman818
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 3 Post By MrSandman818
  • 4 Post By TW-Brian
  • 3 Post By MrSandman818

Thread: Fat front tire mod

Fat front tire mod

So I was trying to true the stock front rim the other day while enjoying a few beers and was struggling to get it even close. After a few more beers I got frustrated and pulled everything apart. That's when I remembered I had a spare rear hoop for my KTM 950 Adventure. It's an 18" tall aluminum rim that's 5 inches wide. It took a bit of work but I was able to lace the stock tw200 front spokes, hub, and install the stock tw200 front tube and tire onto the KTM hoop. The KTM rear rim runs a 130mm wide tire from the factory and can easily go up to a 150mm wide tire. So the stock tw tire fit perfectly.

So this can be done without having to get the triples and forks off a bw200 and a second rear tire assy off a tw200.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Sandman,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this tip! This provides an easy solution to fit a fat tire up front and gets around the problem of differing spoke counts between the front and rear wheel on the TW. The fact that the KTM rim is aluminum is an added bonus!

Thanks again,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks, Yeah it was decently straight forward considering how many beers I had consumed by that point and that I've never laced a wheel before. Both the TW front hub and the KTM rear hoop have 36 spokes so that part was great. The nipple holes for the KTM are slightly larger than on the TW. But it didn't seem to matter since the nipples are able to seat and mostly center themselves. The one problem that I did run into and that is kind of sketch is the spoke lengths. Since the nipple points were moved out slightly more on the KTM rim it meant that some of the spokes were slightly too long. I had to slightly trim and sand the end of about 9 spokes so they wouldn't pop the inner tube . Also I need to get the wheel back on the truing stand and center it a little more. The bike rides just fine, it just bothers me when I stare at it for too long.

All and all I'm pretty happy with it. I'm sure you can do this with any 18" hoop that has 36 spokes. I just happen to have a KTM 950 Adventure for my other bike. So I have some extra KTM parts around the shop. I was able to get the rear hoop off a guy for $20. So honestly this mod cost me $20 for the KTM hoop, probably about $12 in beer, then a few dremel cut off wheels (had a few explode in my face when I was trimming spokes.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrSandman818; 06-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    nobade, littletommy and TW-Brian like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hahaha, I like your solution to a problem - drink more beer !

That's how I figure out problems when I'm building something. I started home brewing so I can fix problems for less money.

Sponosred Links