bar swap
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: bar swap

I will be posting how to pictures when I get my pro taper high bars in. If anyone is interested. Mostly it will be on assembling the assemblies on to the new bars.

here is the set I ordered.

here it is unboxed at the house

stock setup

removing clutch

removing brake and kill switch

disassemble throttle to reroute

throttle innards

complete

to reroute throttle cable to right of forks, remove this bolt

Looking forward to it. Thanks for posting!

Those bars are great. They give you a good riding stance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
    Those bars are great. They give you a good riding stance.
    You'll like the taller bars. If you have a compressor, you can actually move everything including the grips from the stock bars onto the new bar without much trouble at all. Use compressed air under the inside edge of the left grip and it will slide right off. Loosen the controls enough to let them move freely, work the old bar left and right and simply slide the controls off, and then reverse the process to slide the controls onto the new bars. Use the compressed air to "float" the left grip onto the new bar. Easy to do and quicker than completely taking everything off and re-installing. There are some nubs on the brake reservior that need to be removed if you don't drill holes in the new bar. Nub removal gives you the most flexibilty in positioning the controls. Worked for me.
    jwashkau likes this.
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

Wd-40 sprayed under the grips will make it easy to remove the old grips. Hairspray can be used as grip glue but takes a few hours to dry. Grip glue works great but you have to work very fast.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

A word to the wise...

BuddyMc has "NUBS" copyrighted so every time any of us uses that term, we owe him money...Just a heads up as you show us the step by step photos.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyMc View Post
    You'll like the taller bars. If you have a compressor, you can actually move everything including the grips from the stock bars onto the new bar without much trouble at all. Use compressed air under the inside edge of the left grip and it will slide right off. Loosen the controls enough to let them move freely, work the old bar left and right and simply slide the controls off, and then reverse the process to slide the controls onto the new bars. Use the compressed air to "float" the left grip onto the new bar. Easy to do and quicker than completely taking everything off and re-installing. There are some nubs on the brake reservior that need to be removed if you don't drill holes in the new bar. Nub removal gives you the most flexibilty in positioning the controls. Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    Wd-40 sprayed under the grips will make it easy to remove the old grips. Hairspray can be used as grip glue but takes a few hours to dry. Grip glue works great but you have to work very fast.

i agree with these guys...as far as removal goes, compressed air if you have a compressor is the way to go so you don't have wd40 on your throttle tube but wd40 works as well...i wouldn't use wd40 if you plan on reusing your grips though, pain to wipe out...as far installation, spray on the hairspray and just slide them on and like PalmStateCrawler said just give them plenty of time to dry...do it on a hot sunny day if you can and just let it sit in the sun...i put on all my mountain bike grips with hairspray and they have never moved

going to start this when I get off work. one question. is it possible to change these without rerouting cables? or are they long enough to accommodate the extra 2 inches of height?

Throttle cables have to be re-routed for left turns. If you don't ever turn left, you could get away with not re-routing Everything else should be fine.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    Throttle cables have to be re-routed for left turns. If you don't ever turn left, you could get away with not re-routing Everything else should be fine.

ok, cool. Throttle cables im not worried about. I was worried about the clutch cable. it has lots of small parts

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links