Rear shock, trying to decide best bang for the buck
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Rear shock, trying to decide best bang for the buck

Rear shock, trying to decide best bang for the buck

I could not stay away guys......dr650, drz400, husaberg fe390, and I had to come back to the TW, just such a damn good, fun bike as you all know. I promise ill keep this one now....wife forbids me to sell it, haha.

So i did all of my "usual" mods, and got the fork all setup proper with spacers and the oil level, but as we all know, the shock is kinda lacking, doing a climb up one of our fireroad hills and jumping the water bars, the front end is great, and the rear just smacks. I am ready to drop some coin for something to make the rear end better.

The 3 options I narrowed it down to are this:

Keep the stock shock, and buy the procycle spring......costs $139, plus ill have to buy a spring compressor at $25 from Rocky Mountain with my discount. I weigh in at 192lbs, so with gear a bit more, I do like to ride aggressive, so I am on the border between the white or red spring, I dont think i would mind having it a bit stiffer, so for $140 i would rather be safe than sorry, so I would probably opt for the 19kg spring unless you guys suggest the 15kg one. So that puts me in at $164 plus shipping for the spring and tool, plus the install time.

The second option is the popular Banshee or Blaster shock. I would like to think they have touch better valving, but realize they are sprung way light for our TW's, however they can be had pretty cheap between $30-60, and I am sure there are plenty of good used springs out there fairly cheap too, it would just be a matter of trying to find the right spring weight. I realize it will raise the rear end up the bike up a bit, and I am not opposed to that. I would like to eventually get the YZ80 fork tubes and raise the front too, but that project is ways away if it ever happens.

Anyone know what springs to look for on the ATV shocks? Whats your thoughts on going one way vs the other performance wise?
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    -13 TW200
    -08 DRZ400s
    -08 Roadstar warrior
    -15 Sherco ST 3.0
    -08 Aprilia Tuono
    -Missing my DR650 a little bit

I went with the Baron 8523RD spring on a stock TW2000 shock.

As far as I can tell it's the same as the heavy Pro-Cycle spring, but half the price ($70 shipped on ebay).

https://baronscustom.com/catalog/display/570/index.html

I used Pro-Cycle's hydraulic press method to compress the spring, and it was pretty easy.

I'm 260lbs, but I do not ride aggressively. This spring (along with Pro-Cycles heavy duty front springs) makes my TW feel just right to me.

Have fun!
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 06-11-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Have you first tried using the adjustment on the shock and/or putting in a spacer before going and spending $$$?
    scotti158, Ken and centralwarider like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tell us more LittleTommy
    littletommy and Jusride7 like this.
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

The stock shock can be adjusted. It has 3 grooves cut into it and a circlip in one of them. (if you get down and look closely at the shock on the bike, you will see a empty groove below the circlip, you won't be able to see the top groove until you take it apart) It comes stock with the circlip in the middle one. It can be adjusted one step softer or one step stiffer. Try it on the next stiffer groove and then if that isn't enough, you can put a 3/8 inch spacer or so under it and reassemble it granting you an even stiffer option. If this isn't enough, buy a new heavier spring from Procycle. I think Admiral has a pic of a shock with a spacer installed... Admiral?

Quote Originally Posted by centralwarider View Post
    Tell us more LittleTommy
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

It is hard to understand for stoners like us, Can you post a picture? Sleepless ...

LT is speaking of increasing the pre-load on the stock spring.
    Stock spring supposedly has a progressive spring rate but the transition from tight to loose spring coils seems abrupt and thus so does the ride. Abrupt is no good, like bottoming out prematurely. Soft low pressure balloon tires help absorb this abrupt transition since Yamaha only gives us a bit over 6" of travel to absorb all the energy.
    Banshee shock body with a stiffer linear spring like from a Raptor can work. Shock throw needs a limiter added ( ~2.4 inches ) otherwise tire on full compression hits underside of seat pan and/or cross members depending on any swing arm extension.
    Places like AutoZone offer a variety of free tool loans including spring compressors.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The pre-2015 bikes came as LT says, three grooves decided by a washer/spacer – you have to compress the spring to adjust. Harder makes the bike a little taller, but it’s hardly noticeable. Post 2015/2016 Yamaha changed the design of the rear shock, this time with a more conventional adjuster, but again, to make adjustments, you need to compress the spring

There is little or no difference between the two styles of shock, so don’t go getting your hopes up – they’re still cheap and ineffective, and you still need to compress the spring in both cases - (the later style adjusts with a C spanner, the old style you need to withdraw the washer/spacer, and re-insert it into a new position)

We could probably find pics of both types, but they would add nothing to the discussion – one look at your own shock will tell you everything you need to know

If you are on an older bike, check the welds between the shock itself, and the top and bottom mounts (on the shock). In some cases these were tack welded, and prone to failure – the correct ones were seam welded all round – again, the difference will be obvious at first glance …..
    Fred, Sthrnromr and Darth like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Many of us have had good luck with OE shocks, fitted with a ProCycle spring.
    Two spring rates available, depending weight of rider/with gear.
    Lighter & stiffer than OE spring, better quality steel.
    ProCycle sale this week end...$10 off.
    Regular price $139.95.

http://https://procycle.us/bikepages...tml#suspension

"Lighter and stiffer than stock, these high quality straight rate springs are custom made specifically for the TW200. No adapter is needed! A proper rear spring will give a smoother more controlled ride. No more bottoming and better traction and confidence off-road. If you (with all your gear on!) weigh up to 220 lbs, you want the 15 kg/mm spring. 225 lbs and up will want the 19 kg/mm spring. ! Not for 2017 or newer models. Installation guide with photos."
    Sthrnromr and Fred like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

What are peeps with 2017 and newer TW's options?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links