What's wrong with my 14/47 ?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    I put a 47 sprocket yesterday and I'm really disappointed by my first ride.

After reading many positive posts about that setup for highway use I decided to give it a try.

The results are nowhere near my expectations.

It surely lower the rpm on the highway, but it's sooooo difficult to just hit 60mph! I don't know if I can talk of acceleration. I get the bike to 55mph in 4th, but as soon as I put it in 5th, it seems like all the power is gone.

What's wrong with my bike?

Tires are at 21 psi, chain got the right slack, brakes don't drag, the fuel is the same, in other words nothing have changed since the sprocket swap.

Am I too fat with my 200lbs for a 47 sprocket?

Could it be the weather? Temp was 20 degrees (F) less than average (50 instead of 70) with 100% humidity (was raining a bit). Not much wind...

I've search the forum to know if the TW was bike likely to react to weather changes, but the only info I found was related to altitude variations.

Your opinions and help are welcome!

Big thank ;-)

Seems typical. I thought of going to 14/47 originally but as soon as I heard that you can pretty much ride at redline with no engine problems I decided to stick with the stock. I may even do a dual sprocket 55/50 on there one day if I can find an old chain guard I dont mind hacking up.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I dont have any problems with me and the wife on the bike with the 14/47. I have 14/47 on the 07 and 14/50 on the 98 and i like both ratio's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your help guys.

I went for another ride this morning in the same weather conditions and got the same results. 1st to 4th are useful but 5th seems to do nothing but hold the speed on flat ground.

Warmer days are predicted for the weekend. I'll test the setup again. If it doesn't get any better, watch the trade section of the forum next week for a good deal on a 47T sprocket.

Maybe you might want to try a 44t.

It would just worsen the scenario .... I'll get back to the stock 50 if it doesn't get any better with the 47.

I think I'd add more pounds in the tires for the road.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

I forget how many psi I ran, but it was at the high end of what you should run on the tires. Maybe 29? Don't quote me on that.

Also, my bike never liked temps below the upper-60's. I never rejetted below that temp because I don't like fooling with any bike that much and when I used it for commuting it was cool mornings and hot afternoons (it was setup for the afternoon riding...I'd rather have a faster bike on the way home than the way to work ).

The 47 usually provides the better first gear, but doesn't grab much upper speed, just lowers the rpm's...which can result in it struggling. But the speed at which yours is struggling seems low...I will say it's because of the lower temps.

Drive it for a week in different temps and different air pressures to get a more confident feel of its performance.

I had always wanted to try 15/52. It was lower than 14/47 to help the little 200cc's in 5th but would help keep 1st usable on the street (at least more so than the stock 14/50).
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm 300 lbs and my 14-45 set up pulls me around just fine. Actually pretty impressive if I crank on it. The carb was jetted before I got the bike so I don't know whats in there. Just that my plug looks a shade rich and I like it at that. Very consistant 73 MPG's

At your 200 lbs that bike should be working better than what you describe. Just my 2c.

Keep us posted.

Went back with the 50T this afternoon.

Even with my girlfriend on the back (300lbs total) the bike was pulling stronger in 5th than with the 47T. Could get it to 60mph easily, and even more!

What a waste of time and money was that 47T.

I guess that setup was not suited for the weather/temp up here.

Is there anyone looking for an almost new (about 100 miles on it) JT 47T sprocket?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links