Painting rims..?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Painting rims..?

Painting rims..?

I have been thinking about painting my rims black and was wondering if anyone has painted their rims. Just wondering about the adhesion to front aluminum rim. Would I need an aluminum primer or something? My rear is not aluminum.
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.

I feel powder coating will hold up much better
    I've had rims powder coated in Satin Black and have been holding up great
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.

Maxpower - can you give a rough estimate of how much it would cost to have the front and rear rims powder coated? Also, did you have any other parts or plastics powder coated?

I was thinking of using a bedliner type coating on my rims. Has anyone here done something like that. I think it even comes in rattle cans. Seems like it would be durable and easy to clean but it might make adjusting spokes problematic. Was wondering if anyone has any experience.

From what I've seen and heard, it's hard to beat powder coating, but I've always heard it's quite expensive.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you want the best contact Sumax for powder coating. They are not cheap but they have done some fantastic work for me.
    Badgerflorida likes this.

Yea powder coat is out of my price range. That would be great but can't afford that.
    Badgerflorida likes this.

Isn't Bedliner have kind of a bumpy surface even when dry? I don't think it has a smooth surface. I've used bedliner on my hand guards but they get banged up and I don't care what the surface texture is like or that I have to keep painting them over and over. Part of the price I pay for riding dangerously.

I used rattle can paint to paint the trailer rim I used for my wife's TW trailer/ATV tire mod. The paint is holding up pretty well so far (3-4 months) except where I used the spoons to put on the tire. I kind of roughed up that part and haven't taken the time to touch it up yet.

My son used to work as a powder coater at a small shop. I'd ask him what the prices are but he's gone to paramedic school in Texas. Plus, he wouldn't remember anyway. My point, call and ask for prices at the small shops for powder-coating as they may be cheaper. If I was inclined to repaint my rims (and if I'd quit riding long enough) I'd get mine powder-coated due to the durability. Heck, even my stock black rims have scratches so unless ridden mostly on pavement maybe not worth the cost.

Rattlecan. (Say to yourself over and over, "I love Pink", you get used to it)!

Badgerflorida and Xracer like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Mrs. Admiral is a lucky lady. Good to hear your thoughts Admiral, because I know your stuff gets lots of use in tough conditions.
    admiral likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)

After riding my Ural in the snow and ice the first 3 Winters the plating on the spokes started to degenerate. I was never a fan of shiny stuff like chrome on this rig in the first place so I disassembled the wheel and sent the hub and rim out to a local powder coated for (first) media blasting and then powder coating. It is not expensive at all... about $40 per wheel. What you don't want to do is NOT go to a guy that "specializes in motorcycles". These guys have inflated the prices similar to buying anything called "Marine Grade" for a boat. My guys does wrought-iron railing, industrial machines, patio furniture. So little pieces (I've had him do any and all chrome) are no big deal. He just adds it to his regular production schedule. And gloss black is very popular.

I did have some linkage pieces done in John Deere Yellow so had to wait for a bigger customer to come along and request that.

Powder coat is durable but it you "nick" it you have to make sure you seal right away or you could be inviting rust to form underneath the coating. I change all the tires on my bikes and use 4 rim protectors mounting and un-mounting tires so I don't damage the coating with tire spoons.

Wasn't about the crappy Russian coatings rather it was about all the salt they use around where I live for snow control.
    GS2081909969_165448144_61633_640_480_SD2.jpg

The expensive part was sending my newly powder coated rims and hubs (one at a time) out to Buchanon's in California for custom stainless-steel spokes and lacing. Between the new spokes which are much more heavy-duty and the powdercoating I can ride through a Margarita's worth of salt and just spray off with water. Nothing bothers it.
    11-8-10 038.JPG

11-8-10 039.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    admiral, Xracer, jbfla and 1 others like this.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond but the original question was DIY PAINTING ALUMINUM rims? Anyone have experience with that? This has turned into a P-Coat thread. Lol. Share your thoughts on painting aluminum rims please. Thanks
    Last edited by dwil4; 07-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Clean them up well. Light sanding and rewash. Then use Krylon BBQ grill paint. I've been well pleased on how tough a finish it is.
    admiral and jbfla like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links