Exhaust & Airfilter
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Exhaust & Airfilter

Hi Guys,

please assist: i have a 2008 tw and wish to change the standard exhaust as well as air filter! will it make a difference in Performance!

wentzel

You're not looking at a large gain. You'd still have to rejet the carb to really match the adjustments. Most folks will tell you to change gearing or get a different bike. Start with different sprockets and see how that does for you.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    You're not looking at a large gain. You'd still have to rejet the carb to really match the adjustments. Most folks will tell you to change gearing or get a different bike. Start with different sprockets and see how that does for you.

I will do that! i travel about 30km max every day!

i must admit its is bonding! i like my Tw more every day!

thanks hey!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The only benefit I've seen form those upgrades is more sound (you may or may not like) and a more relaxed 55mph cruise. I also changed gearing, but the increased airflow in and out did make for a more

relaxed sounding cruise speed from 50-60. But, it's nothing drastic.

For the time and $$, it was worth it for me. But I'm only about $50 into the intake and exhaust mods.

I was also going for looks over performance. I wanted a different look with the same (or better if possible) performance.

The best part about putting a new exhaust on the TW is the louder the bike the better those idiotic drivers will hear you. I put a FMF Powercore 4 Muffler/Exhaust/Pipe (I bought the muffler only) and it is MUCH louder. The performance is not that noticeable. But because I ride on the streets of the idiotic I ride a gear lower to make sure those that I share the road with hear me...and in a very immature way, I think it sounds cooler.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

You basically contradicted your own statement. You get more power if you do put a muffler and better air filter no matter what anyone says. Your only limited to a certain speed cause of the transmission.

Less noise more land

Loud pipes are not a safety thing. Modern vehicles are mostly so well soundproofed nothing is heard until after the motorcycle passes. How much land must be closed and how many harrassment stops must the rest of us endure before the attention whores learn that?

There are plenty of good reasons for aftermarket exhaust and air filter on a stock TW, but performance and noise aren't.

More power?

I'd figure out how to adapt a rebuilt XT or TT-R 225 or 230 or similar carb before spending even more money on anything else. Jetting the stock carb will provide a lot better driveability, but 4 to 6 more millimeters of carb throat diameter is really necessary to flow more air.

Then I'd do a cam and springs, and while the head was off, clean up the ports. Maybe chase a little more compression with a new piston.

With the above mods, the engine just might benefit from a well-designed intake and exhaust. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any well-designed intake or exhaust for a TW on the market today, at least not any better than the stock parts.

Exhaust cans are merely silencers for multi-cylinder bikes that use header design to make power. Singles are not able to use the same exhaust tricks to make power, so pipe and muffler design is critical to take advantage of echo and pressure reversions. The shapes necessary simply cannot be replicated with a straight pipe. Yes, a straight pipe and can may, in rare circumstances make more peak horsepower, but at the expense of powerband. It is quite common for a "less powerful" motorcycle to out-accelerate a "more powerful" motorcycle due to the width of the powerband. This is especially true with transmissions with wide ratios, such as that of a TW. There is much more to driveability and performance than peak horsepower.

r80rt likes this.

I'm not exactly thrilled when someone rides past me on deafening piece of butt jewelry. However, I don't think people who ride Tw200's are worried about what people think. I'm certainly not- or I'd be riding a shiny new harley. I love motorcycling, but I don't do it to impress people. I do it because it makes me happy, the people who do it are generally good folks, and it keeps me out of the bell tower.... If having an aftermarket pipe makes someone happy, then great. All I can do is like it- or not.

I agree that noise doesn't help keep public lands open to riding, but neither does littering, leaving designated areas, leaking fluids, people riding dangerously, tearing up land/destroying habitats, or being noisy/drunken idiots. If all bikes were electric with natural wood tires and emitted unicorn farts, someone would still find a reason to legislate them into oblivion.

All the public riding areas near me require a certified spark arrestor- so it has to be relatively quiet. If you're riding public off road areas, yes, tread lightly. If you're riding on the street, who cares as long as you're bike is legal? You could run an open header on this little bike and barely be as loud as a lot of harelys. If you're riding on land that is privately owned and you are paying to ride there (like 99% of the places I can ride offroad in the Houston area without being arrested) noise level is up to the land owner and will be based on how tolerant his closest neighbors are, I'm sure. The biggest problem I see in those areas, I listed above.

There's no such thing as unicorn farts.

craig0ry likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links