TW 225cc six speed and up club. How many of us out there.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: TW 225cc six speed and up club. How many of us out there.

TW 225cc six speed and up club. How many of us out there.

20170512_123623_resized_1.jpgTW 225+ CLUB!!!! How many any of us are out there running a TW 225cc six speed and larger motor? How do you like your torque and HP? What is your mpg? Any problems that you haveing? What are the down sides if any? Would you recommend the 225 six speed to others?

Ronnydog

I am running a TW226 6-speed with a 6-plate clutch. The engine started out as a 2000 TTR225 that was bored out from 223cc to 226cc and fitted with a high compression Wiseco piston. A modified TW output shaft was fitted to allow the use of the TTR six speed transmission. I am using using the TW left side engine cover/flywheel/stator and CDI. I am also using the TW right side cover which was modified to fit the larger clutch pack. Carburetion is the stock TW carb.

Power and acceleration is noticeably improved and engine pulls strongly through all gears including sixth gear. The thing that I like the most is the clutch which engages much more gradually and positively than the stocker. Engine starts easily and warms up quickly. I have experienced no problems and never bother checking my mpg. This engine makes me smile every time I take it out.

This was my first complete small engine teardown and rebuild and I was a little apprehensive about whether I could do it successfully. It is really a pretty simple job. Just take your time, label and organize parts as they come apart, take good notes and lots of pictures. It can only go back together one way. A special shoutout goes to Vagabond for his guidance, assistance and encouragement - thanks Roy!

100_5423.JPG

100_5419.JPG

TW Brian Very nice clean build no oil leaks, successful. The 225 motor build really helps with the large rear tire mod and gives great response from the throttle compared to stock. I'm running a 2002 TTR225 clutch basket assembly with heavy duty springs and spring spacers. Before that I ran the stock TW clutch assembly with Barnett clutches with great success for several years . The crankshaft out of the XT 225 a certain year, fits the TW clutch assembly.

ronnydog
    Ken and Toecutter like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This is something I'm HIGHLY interested in doing. Once I get the xt250, the tw will become my frankenbike. Next mod is the tt600 tank.

What's cruising speed with this setup compared to stock?

Is there a tutorial somewhere? parts list?
    Ken and Toecutter like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

i'm following as well. very interested in the xt225 swap
    Ken likes this.

Stroked crank for the TW 250.

ronnydog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    Stroked crank for the TW 250.

ronnydog

Are you using the stock camshaft?

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...six-speed.html
    Last edited by elime; 07-30-2017 at 02:58 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Yes I'm using the stock camshaft. I think it may help to use a use a custom cam to move torque from the low end to the top end. This 250cc has lots of low end torque.

ronnydog
    elime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CS1983 View Post
    This is something I'm HIGHLY interested in doing. Once I get the xt250, the tw will become my frankenbike. Next mod is the tt600 tank.

What's cruising speed with this setup compared to stock?

Is there a tutorial somewhere? parts list?

Cruising speed is determined by sprockets. My TW is used for mostly off road and not maintaining 70 on the highway. That said I could maintain 70mph easily with the right sprockets. The TW 250 halls ass!

ronnydog
    Tweaker likes this.

Not sure if I qualify as having a right to post on this thread — as I am fortunate enough to have to have a stock TW225, but with a five speed box

Nice relaxed ride, plenty of torque (unlike my 200), and with speed limits typically being between 50 mph and 60 mph, enough top end performance to get the job done

But I do have a valid question for the 6 speed conversion (and all the things that necessarily come with it) — is all that fuss worth it ?

I’m talking primarily about the 5 speed box, as compared to the 6 speed box here — the five speed gets the job done, but at what point does that 6th gear really count ?

Is the torque curve less ? — is 6th “over drive” ?

I appreciate that you “do what you have to do” over the pond to achieve this, and that as such, a 6 speed option would appear to be the way to go, but has anyone ever compared the 225cc 5 speed against the 225 6 speed boxes (having done the conversion of course)

The 5 speed seems to be a lot more relaxed about this, and given the ratio (stock TW225), this is hardly surprising — but my question is, does having that extra gear make things more “frantic” ?

At the end of the day, both the stock TW225 and the converted 225 are putting out around the same number of horses, same top end rpm, so theoretically, the same top speed

And if you start messing with sprocket ratios, isn’t that just an extension of what you can do with the 200 ?
    elime likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links