Trailer Wheel Mod - Tires
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By BkCntryCrwlr
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By admiral

Thread: Trailer Wheel Mod - Tires

Trailer Wheel Mod - Tires

Okay, after having some time to enjoy a year + effort in an absolute, yet enjoyable, waste of money, but so worth every penny! A rebuild of a '94 TW that got away from reality. Oh, yeah, spend, enjoy and appreciate the creativity and expertise of what the forum provides. So here are my thoughts after putting some hours on this bike pre and post rebuild. For those that don't know, I dropped this off of a trailer on a dirt road. One of the tie down straps broke and it walked off the trailer, I tore the crap out of the front end, dented the tank and tore up the plastics by dragging it 30+ yards down the road. After 6 months of sitting in the back yard, I finally decided what to do. Here's what happened:

IMG_6709.JPG

Biggest impact, in my opinion, is the trailer wheel mod (thanks TW Brian for the inspiration, wrench-puller and Admiral for the tire advice), then tires (absolutely change from the death wings), larger XT350 Clarke tank. Many other miscellaneous add on's as the bigger mod's took place. I really like the way this bike looks, however, I would do a couple of things different. I built this to go anywhere I had the courage to ride it, I succeeded. Side bar - as I get older, I find I become more cautious, I have developed a better sense of self-preservation - I realize a stock TW will go more places than I have the courage to ride it!

Key thing - keep weight in mind, go with the slightly smaller tire sizes to save some weight. This is the one key difference I have noticed since I have gotten this far, my bike is a lot heavier and not as easy to throw around. I can't claim it is done, since I'm not sure a TW (with a nut job owner) is ever done!

After riding the same trails with the new tires, I can say that the bike tracks so much better. When the tires do begin to slip, they find traction quickly and the bike corrects itself, stabilizes and begins to track true again. I'm very impressed with this aspect. My suggestions, when tweaking your TW, keep weight in mind. This is the one thing that stands out to me after spending some time on trails.

Advice; spend what you can afford, tweak, personalize, enjoy and build what your imagination can envision. Most of all - turn gas into noise, ride and enjoy!

More tweaks to come!
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

Your bike looks great, nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by BkCntryCrwlr View Post
    Okay, after having some time to enjoy a year + effort in an absolute, yet enjoyable, waste of money, but so worth every penny! A rebuild of a '94 TW that got away from reality. Oh, yeah, spend, enjoy and appreciate the creativity and expertise of what the forum provides. So here are my thoughts after putting some hours on this bike pre and post rebuild. For those that don't know, I dropped this off of a trailer on a dirt road. One of the tie down straps broke and it walked off the trailer, I tore the crap out of the front end, dented the tank and tore up the plastics by dragging it 30+ yards down the road. After 6 months of sitting in the back yard, I finally decided what to do. Here's what happened:

Biggest impact, in my opinion, is the trailer wheel mod (thanks TW Brian for the inspiration, wrench-puller and Admiral for the tire advice), then tires (absolutely change from the death wings), larger XT350 Clarke tank. Many other miscellaneous add on's as the bigger mod's took place. I really like the way this bike looks, however, I would do a couple of things different. I built this to go anywhere I had the courage to ride it, I succeeded. Side bar - as I get older, I find I become more cautious, I have developed a better sense of self-preservation - I realize a stock TW will go more places than I have the courage to ride it!

Key thing - keep weight in mind, go with the slightly smaller tire sizes to save some weight. This is the one key difference I have noticed since I have gotten this far, my bike is a lot heavier and not as easy to throw around. I can't claim it is done, since I'm not sure a TW (with a nut job owner) is ever done!

After riding the same trails with the new tires, I can say that the bike tracks so much better. When the tires do begin to slip, they find traction quickly and the bike corrects itself, stabilizes and begins to track true again. I'm very impressed with this aspect. My suggestions, when tweaking your TW, keep weight in mind. This is the one thing that stands out to me after spending some time on trails.

Advice; spend what you can afford, tweak, personalize, enjoy and build what your imagination can envision. Most of all - turn gas into noise, ride and enjoy!

More tweaks to come!
    For some reason, I didn't realize or remember this happening to your TW. Rebuilding the TW now makes sense to me. Really glad it's worked out for you in the end. I try to watch out and not ride above or in a place/trail which is above my riding abilities. Yet, I still scare myself sometimes. I don't write or show pictures where I've crapped my pants but came out smelling like a rose. It's happened for sure.

Getting ready for Moab I took off the 4 gal XT350 tank to save weight and put back on the slightly larger XT250 steel tank 2.3 gals I think. My thought was to reduce weight so I could pop the tire over some of the stepped rocks. In one instance this worked too good as I went up and over. I love the miles I can put on with the XT350 tank but I've yet to put in back on for this summer. I will put the big tank back on if I know I'm gonna do a long distance ride out in the desert or woods where there won't be any technical riding.

...and yours is lookin good.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links