New sprocket 45 or 47?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New sprocket 45 or 47?

New sprocket 45 or 47?

Getting ready to order new sprockets, currently have a 47 rear on(what was on when I bought it). just wanted some thoughts on 45 vs 47 for 50/50 riding. Not too many hills here in S. Florida
    littletommy likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

I got a 45 and 47 and ended up using the 45 14 combo. I have a 47brand new if you want it. It is a JT sprocket.
    Last edited by lugnut; 08-09-2017 at 03:44 AM.
    littletommy and Peterb like this.

mine started out 14/47. keep the 47. PO gave me a lightly used 45 too so don't think that really works very good unless your only on pavement.
    littletommy likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My riding is mostly in the city. I just changed from stock 14/50 to 14/45 and the difference is more significant than I was expecting. I am 165# and the only real sizable hill near me is a 30 mph speed limit so not much downshifting for me just yet. I have a 15 tooth front that will be going on as soon as my X-Ring chain arrives. These little bikes are never going to be freeway cruisers, but the biggest difference that I've noticed is that I no longer feel like I'll be freight-trained by the horrible drivers around here. The TW203 and 204 tires also made a HUGE difference over stock. I don't miss the knobby rumble and the old front Deathwing had given me a few "pants-filler" moments.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition

If you can get a good deal on the 45 (check lugnut above), you should give it a try. If you are putting on a new chain with the new sprockets; use the old chain to test the 45 before you size the new chain.
    If 47 worked fine for your off-roading conditions, then hopefully the 45 would too, and give you slightly less vibration and smoother ride on road.
    littletommy and Howsbentley like this.

Tried them both. 45 14 gets my money. When I do go off road it is never technically an issue that the gearbox can't solve.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Cornelis, lugnut and Peterb like this.
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

Went from stock 14-50 to 14-47.
    Barely noticeable feel but according to my tach is does help the engine rev lower on commuting days. In retrospect it probably is not worth going from 50 to 47 though I'm glad I did it. But the bike is pretty perfect for what you call 50-50 the way it is.

The real mod here was the upgrade to the X-Ring chain and the JT Sprocket. Much, much better quality, especially the chain.
    Even if you were not interested in changing the gearing at all the upgraded chain is so apparently better than the stock "no-ring" lowest quality one that comes on the bike.

IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6259.JPG

DID 428VX
    IMG_6330.JPG

JRD
    I've been reading these posts and others like them because I'd like to run my TDub on state highways at 60-65 without over revving the engine. I'm doing very little off road and most of that is mild here in SW Ohio.

Changing the rear sprocket and possibly the chain seems straightforward enough. I'd probably leave the front sprocket alone. Can someone direct me to information on the forum that explains the process step-by-step? And recommendations on brands and where to buy the new sprocket?

While I'm asking, please point me to tire recommendations on the forum as well.

I ended up going with what was on it, 14/47 and a JT x-ring chain. JT sprockets also. I wanted little less buzzyness but didn't want to lose off road gearing toooo.. much. Got my sportster for the road anyhow. But agree the 45 would prolly be a better road gearing imo.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    I've been reading these posts and others like them because I'd like to run my TDub on state highways at 60-65 without over revving the engine. I'm doing very little off road and most of that is mild here in SW Ohio.

Changing the rear sprocket and possibly the chain seems straightforward enough. I'd probably leave the front sprocket alone. Can someone direct me to information on the forum that explains the process step-by-step? And recommendations on brands and where to buy the new sprocket?

While I'm asking, please point me to tire recommendations on the forum as well.
    JRD; going to higher gearing can lower your rpms slightly to significantly noticeable. However it will not improve performance ability at those speeds because you just don't have the horsepower.
    Usually most would recommend a larger bike for that speed range. I'm 200lbs and my speedo reads 4mph high in the 60s. So to do 65 the speedo has to read 69. When you get the bike up there; with higher gearing the engine may not be as wound out - but it will still not have anything left. Zero acceleration for any needed movement; and no ability to hold that speed on an incline.

All of that aside; the highest gearing I have seen posted here that works seems to be 14-39 (or the equivalent 15-42) on bikes the owners have done performance mods.
    In testing my stock bike 14-39 equivalent 15-42 bogged to much on take-off to be acceptable.
    14-42 equivalent 15-45 works fine on pavement (had not tried it off-road).
    Borrowing a sprocket from Admiral to test; 14-41 and equivalent 15-44, was the highest gearing that worked without bogging - and lowered rpms the most (again not tried off-road).
    That only leaves 14-40 or 15-43 as a possible higher gearing if it does not bog.

I used the 14-45 when riding with Admiral on his Three Fingers Gulch ride (easy off-road i would say) and it was fine for that.

As for street tires; go to the ProCycle website and look under TW's. You will find the two brands of street oriented dual sport tires for the bike.

As to the front sprocket: you've been on the forum 5 years this month; so if the bike is that old or older and depending on the miles - it may need to be replaced. Once you change the rear sprocket with whatever size you try; then if you want it to be even higher - you could go to a 15 tooth front (unless you went all the way to a 42 on the back - which the 15 would then make bog on takeoff).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links