• 4 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By cowboyjeff
  • 2 Post By Toecutter
  • 4 Post By CS1983
  • 1 Post By rbm
  • 5 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By CS1983
  • 2 Post By Fred

Thread: Quick question on something on CL...

Quick question on something on CL...

I'm buying this after work:
    https://cosprings.craigslist.org/mpo...255828987.html

I asked if the rim was prepped for tubeless operation a la putty, and he said he thinks there's a tube in the tire (!?). I was under the impression that tubeless tire != tube? (per this thread: https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...y-not-tws.html)

Either way, gonna get it. Just curious was to what all I might need to do with this to make it safe for off road use. It's non-DOT approved, so it will either go on for hauling to riding area, or will be placed on another tw200 at some point.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

First, that is a good good deal.

I can't speak directly about the Duro as I use a Ceros instead but I'm betting there is a tube in there. The tires themselves are tubeless but unless some past owner sealed the rim for tubeless use, it's probably got a tube. Most if not all are using tubes when using an ATV tire on the TW rim.

Now, I have a Ceros mounted on a modified TW hub (the trailer wheel mod) and this setup is tubeless.

Even though the tire may not be DOT approved (I don't have personal knowledge of that with a Duro) many ride on the highway/streets with the Duro. Forum member Fred is a good example. He rides his all over the place, highways, logging roads, single track trails, hardware store aisles, ok maybe not hardware stores. However, there is nothing wrong with using this as an off-road package only is not a big deal either.

Depending on the size of the tire, you may want to use a larger than stock sprocket if riding off-road steep trails. The larger tire size I have to use (26x9x14) is a dog off-road with my Ceros. I use a 13/54T combo on street and normal off-road use which isn't too rough, i.e. any steep spots. On my last ride with the forum group in the Sweetwater Mtns. I changed to my 60T rear sprocket as I knew we were riding in steep terrain and I was gonna need some oomph for the hills.

I agree with the owner about not worrying about the swing arm. The one you're getting is 8 inches wide. Mine is 9 inches wide (only size I can get in the Ceros) and I do have to set the tire back in the swingarm for clearance with limited future chain adjustments. I think your lucky, this is a good deal.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Ya! you better snag that up fast, its a great deal.
    admiral, littletommy and CS1983 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Freaking deal!!
    CS1983 and littletommy like this.

Got it. $100. Thing is in great shape. IMG_0772.JPG
    admiral, Fred, Dryden-Tdub and 1 others like this.

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

rbm
    Score!
    CS1983 likes this.

I’ll give you $110 for it and then you could turn a quick 10% profit.

Seriously you got a great deal on some good equipment.

A threaded valve stem will indicate the presence of a tube, tubeless valve stems do not have provisions for a locknut.

Adjusting to the Duro’s squarish cross section takes a little time, your turn-in initiating a cornering maneuver will seem very odd at first. Also at very low speeds on rutted trails it seems to want to make the rear of TW dart back and forth. But all is forgiven once you experience powering through soft sand, mud or snow that would previously have the TrailWing spinning and digging down while you lose needed momentum.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I’ll give you $110 for it and then you could turn a quick 10% profit.

Seriously you got a great deal on some good equipment.

A threaded valve stem will indicate the presence of a tube, tubeless valve stems do not have provisions for a locknut.

Adjusting to the Duro’s squarish cross section takes a little time, your turn-in initiating a cornering maneuver will seem very odd at first. Also at very low speeds on rutted trails it seems to want to make the rear of TW dart back and forth. But all is forgiven once you experience powering through soft sand, mud or snow that would previously have the TrailWing spinning and digging down while you lose needed momentum.
    Yep, there is a valve stem, so it's a tubed tubeless.

Combined w/ a 244 or 241 on the front, I think it will make the tw shine off road. I'm looking at getting an older tw for it to wear, though it will be in the more distant future. xt250 is in front of the "buy it" line. I also might just use this one on current t2 once I get a motojack rack again.
    Fred and littletommy like this.

Great plans CS1983...Motojack, Duro, and either 241 or 244 all sounds ideal.
    They say the best indicator of someone’s intelligence is how much they agree with you. You must thus be pretty smart.
    Since Duro is a bit taller, and the Duro effect shines in the steep rough stuff may I suggest gearing changes as Admiral explained. I have 13x55 sprockets mated to my Duro and a 60 tooth rear would be a pleasant improvement at times.
    littletommy and Howsbentley like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links