Pirelli tire
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pirelli tire

Pirelli tire

Hello all,
    Getting ready to buy a tire to replace the front and am looking at the Pirelli MT43 in 4.00x18. RMATV-MC has the best price. I have tons of loose gravel up here, wet grass in the meadows, and mud like tar or Georgia clay when it rains. Is this a good choice? Not really interested in the Chinese tires, haven't had good luck with their quality, but never had a Pirelli. Thanks for the thoughts.

Richard
    littletommy likes this.
    Dick in the Aspens
    2017 TW200 1995 KLR650
    1978 DT175E 1974 GT80A
    1971 AT1C(SOLD!)
    1981 Honda CB750 Custom(enroute)

Did you know that Pirelli, even though based in Milan, is owned by the Chinese company ChemChina?
    That their tires sold here typically are manufactured in either Mexico or Russia?
    Globalization tends to negate historical biases.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Did you know that Pirelli, even though based in Milan, is owned by the Chinese company ChemChina?
    That their tires sold here typically are manufactured in either Mexico or Russia?
    my pirelli has "made in Brazil" stamped on the side wall. it also developes a small amount of wobble. balancing stopped most of it. i have never had trouble with the shinko, which has the same tread pattern. my pirelli is far superior to the stock tire and would recomment that tread for most conditions, except mud. plus it is rated as a rear tire, not a front tire
    Last edited by grewen; 08-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    littletommy likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Great, an orange is not an orange, figures. So quality-wise (roundness, balancing, dry rot), how do the Pirellis compare? On my Spyder everyone ditched the Kendas because of quality, balancing issues and short tread life. How is it with these or the Shinkos? I have Shinkos on my DT175 and they've been okay.
    littletommy likes this.
    Dick in the Aspens
    2017 TW200 1995 KLR650
    1978 DT175E 1974 GT80A
    1971 AT1C(SOLD!)

There are Pirellis and then there are Pirellis, different grades for different markets. The Pirelli automotive tires I bought in Brazil for a Fiat wore out in less than 20,000 Kilometers and only a bit longer on a RWD Brazillian manufactured Chevy. Terrible quality even though they were priced comparable to high mileage tires vended in the USA.
    Lyterx and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have Pirellis on my Street bike - like them a lot and getting good wear on them.
    The 241 Shinko I installed on the front has been a huge improvement over stock - I had it balanced by a local shop and it only took one small weight to get it balanced - the shop owner said the quality seems to be getting better with Shinko - he said years ago he would have to add a few weights to balance them - so there's that.
    Any tire you get will make a solid improvement - why Yami continues to put that tire on is beyond me. There's no way they have not heard the negative feedback on them...
    littletommy likes this.

Pirelli isn't what it used to be - but then again, the TW is hardly likely to push the envelope .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I think I push the MT43 the hardest out this group and will say it is a great tire. I have had them on the back of my play trials bike (Beta TR32), on the back of the WR250r, and currently on the back of my DT200 and front of the TW. The tire works ok in mud on the front if you have the pressure low enough. It needs to be run around 8 psi off road. On pavement you may want a bit more pressure for cornering.
    The MT43 sticks where you point it.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    I think I push the MT43 the hardest out this group and will say it is a great tire. I have had them on the back of my play trials bike (Beta TR32), on the back of the WR250r, and currently on the back of my DT200 and front of the TW. The tire works ok in mud on the front if you have the pressure low enough. It needs to be run around 8 psi off road. On pavement you may want a bit more pressure for cornering.
    The MT43 sticks where you point it.
    Good info, basically what I was looking for. I'll decide here shortly on the Shinko or the Pirelli and get one ordered before I do any serious thrashing out there.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Dick in the Aspens
    2017 TW200 1995 KLR650
    1978 DT175E 1974 GT80A
    1971 AT1C(SOLD!)

A 10+ for the new Shinko 241. I can say without a doubt it is a pleasure to ride again. I did not know just how bad my maxxis 6006 was. I can say this tire sticks like glue on the tar and on the gravel/dirt. Just finished my yearly birthday weekend ride(200+ miles) with my son and new too riding offroad BIL.( that's a story by itself) soon to come.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links