Dual Sprocket How-To?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dual Sprocket How-To?

Dual Sprocket How-To?

I have two Tee-Dubs that I picked up several months ago, both 2003s in near perfect shape, and each had only 250 miles on them. I bought two so I could take another person with me and teach my wife and 13 year-old boy how to ride. I decided to go to the dark side by putting a 52 tooth rear sprocket on one and a 55 tooth on the other (for those learning). Since I do some in-town street riding, I'd like to try doing a dual sprocket using my TW with the 52 tooth and add a 48 tooth. It seems like a simple job, but just wanted to get some tips from the experts in this forum, such as what to use for proper spacing for the chain, whether a recessed sprocket is required, safety concerns, and whether or not I need to get new hardware (nuts & bolts). I've seen several posts on dual sprockets with pics, but haven't seen a step-by-step guide. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    cowboyjeff and Ken like this.

Review "Similar Threads” listed at bottom of this web page to find all your answers.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-27-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    cowboyjeff and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by TewDub View Post
    I have two Tee-Dubs that I picked up several months ago, both 2003s in near perfect shape, and each had only 250 miles on them. I bought two so I could take another person with me and teach my wife and 13 year-old boy how to ride. I decided to go to the dark side by putting a 52 tooth rear sprocket on one and a 55 tooth on the other (for those learning). Since I do some in-town street riding, I'd like to try doing a dual sprocket using my TW with the 52 tooth and add a 48 tooth. It seems like a simple job, but just wanted to get some tips from the experts in this forum, such as what to use for proper spacing for the chain, whether a recessed sprocket is required, safety concerns, and whether or not I need to get new hardware (nuts & bolts). I've seen several posts on dual sprockets with pics, but haven't seen a step-by-step guide. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

When I did mine...

There will be some trial and error no matter what so expect that.

I used 1 non-recessed and 1 recessed sprocket. I placed the recessed sprocket went over the hub inward if you will. The non-recessed sprocket was my outboard sprocket.

I used nuts as spacers between the sprockets. As far as bolts go, I just went to the hardware store and bought some long enough to go all the way through with a washer & lock washer +nut. You'll see I changed the direction of the bolts in the pictures below with the nut on the inside. This was for clearance with the swingarm and chain guard.

At first, I used an o-ring chain but my clearance between sprockets wasn't enough and the chain rubbed on the larger sprocket when mounted on the smaller sprocket. I changed to a standard chain (non-o-ring).

My outer sprocket rubbed the chain guard so I removed it and bent in the guard mount. Figured I could always bend the and remount the chain guard if needed.

Pictures below will explain some more things.

In the end, I stopped using a dual sprocket for a few different reasons.

1. I only ever changed to a different sprocket one (1) time while out on a ride from 50T to 55T.

2. Pre-mature sprocket wear. Both rear sprockets will be off-center of the front sprocket slightly. I notice a little more wear from the front sprocket. (I never checked or don't remember the chain itself having any pre-mature wear but it would be wise to watch it).

3. I found that I liked the 14/55T sprocket for my overall compromise. I could ride out on the highway at 55-60 with the 55T and it was much better on the trails than 14/50.

I had no safety concerns other than the sprocket wear I mentioned above.

Started with an o-ring chain but changed it due to rubbing. Picture is mostly for reference.

Last edited by admiral; 08-28-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Solid post, Admiral.

Question: How quick is it to switch chain to another sprocket? I'm assuming one has to loosen back wheel and adjust chain tension?
    admiral, Ken and cowboyjeff like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by CS1983 View Post
    Solid post, Admiral.

Question: How quick is it to switch chain to another sprocket? I'm assuming one has to loosen back wheel and adjust chain tension?
    Took me about 5 minutes and yes loosen and adjust-retighten. I used the tools from the onboard tool kit (and nearby rock) to move the adjusters. I was using the 50T and we went down a very steep road to a river. I was worried that I would stall on our way out in a couple really steep rocky sections which is why I changed it.
    Ken, Fred, CS1983 and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

In your estimation, would this setup work w/ stock and a 60T for the Duro?

I would imagine I'd have to remove/add chain links at that point?

How do you feel a 55t would work for Duro vs 60?
    Ken likes this.

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

Forgot to include this in my first post. This is what the sprocket looked like when I replaced it. All of my sprockets have had similar "wear marks" as seen but this one the marks from the chain went deeper. I believe this was because of the offset rear sprockets and the chain not lining up exactly.

Tweaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Took me about 5 minutes and yes loosen and adjust-retighten. I used the tools from the onboard tool kit (and nearby rock) to move the adjusters. I was using the 50T and we went down a very steep road to a river. I was worried that I would stall on our way out in a couple really steep rocky sections which is why I changed it.
    Do you have a small torque wrench? Just tighten really tight and then torque to spec later?

No, I don't torque the axle nut. Just cinch it tight.
    CS1983 likes this.

Admiral, your post was the most helpful of any I have seen! Thank you so much for taking the time to go through all the detail. I am thinking about doing a 14T front with 47T and 52T dual rear on one of my Tee dubs. 52T is awesome, but have been doing a lot of road riding and wouldn't mind lower RPMs at 50mph. I am leaving the 14T/55T on my other one. Just curious how many miles you had on your front sprocket with that wear on it.

Thanks!

-TewDub
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links