Black widow gets a new ricochet engine shield.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Changed my oil (trying mobil 1 4t racing oil) and filter (filter was really quite clean) and installed my new engine shield. OEM original plate does have to come off and needed to cut off that metal loop that the oem plate hangs on at rear. Nice solid feel to new plate and torx head rear/bottom bolts are nice so won't get hung up on a log. Folding shifter is next. Ready to go back to hunter lake trail near reno and tackle those big rocks and find that lake!

Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

That is a good looking shield. It looks just like the one I purchase from Happy Trails here in Boise. Mine is not painted though. I think mine was made by a company near Reno.

Your choice of oil should serve you well. During the recent upside down adventure of mine, the engine reved up for at least a half min. while I was trying to extracate myself from under the bike. The TW was inverted and I am sure the oil was not going where the designers had planned. Even though I ended up with another problem, the oil seemed to stay coated where it was supposed to be. When the Yamaha shop finished putting the valve adjustment nut back where it was supposed to be, it ran as good as new.

The added bonus of that oil is that the TW shifts very precisely now and I have not missed a shift in some very trying circumstances.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Looks good import, did you order it powder coated or did you do the color after delivery? Just curious because mine is shockingly simalar to stop sign red right now. . . .

"Great material to use though . . . ."

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

They offered it anodized in several colors for extra $20. Being the black widow has a red frame the choice was easy.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    Being the black widow A black Hour Glass on the red bash plate would look cool!!

Fixed it fer ya!

Bag

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

or some black widow spider decals/stickers on front flaps of bash plate that stick out. LOL. I'll ponder on it.....

I was to cheap to buy one so I just welded one up from scrap in the shop, 3/16 steel. I sprayed it with box liner which seems to hold up pretty well. Total cost about 10 bucks. The shield has taken some pretty hard hits and

has saved some injury.

Great looking sheild GS, and the route I'm taking. I tell myself I just like the feeling of self satisfaction and I'm not really a tightwad!

Been playing with aluminum, but looking at the steel now. . . just tougher and I'm trying to fab up better guards and need the strength of the steel to support 'em.

Nice idea on the box liner!

Bag

Hidden Content

Gun ship, that does look nice and cool to make something instead of just buying it. I always factor in weight when adding things to the TW. The ricochet is less then 5 lbs. Did you weigh your shield before putting it on? When putting on headlight screen I went with cheap dick cepek screen over nice $45 TCI shield and bracket because of weight. when picking up your bike after falling over, loading it up in pickup, heading up steep hill, those pounds add up.

Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    Gun ship, that does look nice and cool to make something instead of just buying it. I always factor in weight when adding things to the TW. The ricochet is less then 5 lbs. Did you weigh your shield before putting it on? When putting on headlight screen I went with cheap dick cepek screen over nice $45 TCI shield and bracket because of weight. when picking up your bike after falling over, loading it up in pickup, heading up steep hill, those pounds add up.
    I hear you on the weight adding up. I work mostly with steel and don't even have aluminum scraps laying around. I do know the plate is substantially heavier than the original and if I had to guess I'd say it probably weighs around seven pounds. Can't say I saw any difference in handling but I'm kind of a slow poke on the trails, she still climbs like a goat.

Posted Today, 08:22 AMGreat looking sheild GS, and the route I'm taking. I tell myself I just like the feeling of self satisfaction and I'm not really a tightwad!

Been playing with aluminum, but looking at the steel now. . . just tougher and I'm trying to fab up better guards and need the strength of the steel to support 'em.

Nice idea on the box liner!

Bag

I probably would have ordered aluminum but I get kind of tired paying Canadian taxes and border fees on items ordered from the States. Added almost 90 dollars to the cost of my Clarke tank. The steel is tough and has saved the engine case twice so far. The box liner stands up real well and is easy to touch up. I look forward to seeing yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links