Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By nikolai
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By lugnut
  • 3 Post By nikolai

Thread: Front tire choice for upcoming rally

Front tire choice for upcoming rally

Hi All,
    First off I got to say this is a fantastic forum.
    I live in Alaska and my steed in the garage up here is a decked out 2008 650 Suzuki Vstrom, a great adventure touring bike.
    Two years ago I purchased a used TW200 and it lives in my buddies garage in Southern Utah. I keep my sanity by escaping in the early and late winter by riding in the desert. We have done numerous hard core camping trips on them, including a trip to Inuvik, way above the Arctic Circle in the Northwest Territories. A fantastic little bike.
    So we are going to sign up for the 2017 LA to Barsto to Vegas rally. Its a 400 mile ride thru the desert mostly in sand. So I need help on choosing my new front tire. After reading the fantastic 33 page thread on front tires I have narrowed it down to two and am looking for your input. Either
    the Shinko 241 or Pirelli MT43. What ever tire I purchase will be the narrowest I can fit on the rim to help stop the plowing the original fat tire does. I am unable to get them up here, so pretty much going on your recommendations. Any thoughts on any tire appreciated. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!!

You have indeed done your research, I think those are the best 2 tires also. You might consider joining one of the group rides that go on all the time around here. Great folks here. There's a few folks here with V-Strom's too. Great bike. I used to have one and loved it. I'd go with the MT43 personally. I think it may be a bit better built and last a bit longer.

Again, welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolai View Post
    Hi All,
    First off I got to say this is a fantastic forum.
    I live in Alaska and my steed in the garage up here is a decked out 2008 650 Suzuki Vstrom, a great adventure touring bike.
    Two years ago I purchased a used TW200 and it lives in my buddies garage in Southern Utah. I keep my sanity by escaping in the early and late winter by riding in the desert. We have done numerous hard core camping trips on them, including a trip to Inuvik, way above the Arctic Circle in the Northwest Territories. A fantastic little bike.
    So we are going to sign up for the 2017 LA to Barsto to Vegas rally. Its a 400 mile ride thru the desert mostly in sand. So I need help on choosing my new front tire. After reading the fantastic 33 page thread on front tires I have narrowed it down to two and am looking for your input. Either
    the Shinko 241 or Pirelli MT43. What ever tire I purchase will be the narrowest I can fit on the rim to help stop the plowing the original fat tire does. I am unable to get them up here, so pretty much going on your recommendations. Any thoughts on any tire appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Bobo413 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum from northeast Ohio! I can't help you on tires for sand being that we have none around here.
    littletommy and Bobo413 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks littletommy. The MT43 was my first choice also. Unless someone changes my mind, I will get it ordered thru Rocky Mountain ATV and put it on when I get to Utah.

Sponosred Links