• 1 Post By Ian43ktm
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 3 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Plastics

Plastics

Hi all. I need the plastic side covers for an 88 TW. I've found some expensive one's in Japan but don't want to spend that much. Any clues as to where I can find some cheap reproduction side covers? Used ones would be ok as long as they don't have silly shipping cost's. Thanks for any help............Ian
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

01 Yamaha TW200 TW 200 Trailway right side cover panel plastic
    01 Yamaha TW200 TW 200 Trailway left side cover plastic panel

Never heard of reproduction plastics for the Trailway. Look for used examples like those above, or place want add, or search motorcycle dismantlers near you or via a national search engine. Plastic is same molding for all model years, color and graphics vary by year though.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Ian43ktm View Post
    Hi all. I need the plastic side covers for an 88 TW. I've found some expensive one's in Japan but don't want to spend that much. Any clues as to where I can find some cheap reproduction side covers? Used ones would be ok as long as they don't have silly shipping cost's. Thanks for any help............Ian
    Silly shipping costs is a good way of saying it but knowing where the shipment is going to may have a large affect on those costs. When ever I sell stuff, TW related or other, I try real hard to charge as close to actual shipping as it costs. East coast to the west gets pretty costly and I refuse to even ship out of this country because of the outrageous costs coupled with all the BS paperwork for customs.

You may want to tell us where you are Ian and you might find you have close by members that just might have what you are looking for.

GaryL
    Dryden-Tdub, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    Some of the newer members have stripped their bikes down to a naked bike. You may want to PM them and see if the plastics are available.

Thanks for the suggestions. If all year models are the same new genuine seem to be cheaper than some used on ebay. Ta............................Ian
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian43ktm View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. If all year models are the same new genuine seem to be cheaper than some used on ebay. Ta............................Ian
    As far as I know all years have the same fitment so the question becomes, do you want the exact year decals, color scheme and must they be in near perfect condition.

Now that we know you are down under the silly shipping cost is in fact a major concern. I tried to purchase various parts from sellers in your country but the expense of shipping was highly prohibitive.

Go back to Fred's post because there are many dismantle rs in your country and plenty of older TWs on the chopping blocks. You do have to be careful because there are differences between the Japan/EU models and those sold in the US but I don't believe the differences extend to plastic fitment.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Good observation Ian that used e-bay items may be more expensive than new.

As far as shipping costs go some side panels from US can fit into an international flat rate envelope or box for a semi-reasonable ~$24 US if shipped by a private party not wishing to gouge you.

Priority Mail International Flat Rate Products
    Free Supplies Shipping Price From* Dimensions
    Small Flat Rate Envelope $22.75 commercial base $23.95 at Post Office (retail & online) 10" x 6"
    Padded Flat Rate Envelope $22.75 commercial base $23.95 at Post Office (retail & online) 12 1/2" x 9 1/2"

Last edited by Fred; 09-28-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Shipping to Canada costs too. I sold some stuff to a fellow forum member and split the shipping with him. When he went to pick it up there was an additional "$25 duty or VAT" charge. What started out as a decent deal became not so good. I offered to split the $25 with him but he refused.

Next time I ship something north of the border it is getting a declared value of $10 and I am putting a birthday card in with the parts and calling it all a gift -- not that any of that will do any good but I will try.
    admiral, Fred and littletommy like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Shipping to Canada costs too. I sold some stuff to a fellow forum member and split the shipping with him. When he went to pick it up there was an additional "$25 duty or VAT" charge. What started out as a decent deal became not so good. I offered to split the $25 with him but he refused.

Next time I ship something north of the border it is getting a declared value of $10 and I am putting a birthday card in with the parts and calling it all a gift -- not that any of that will do any good but I will try.

Canadian Border Guard to forum member ejfranz upon his return to Canada from the U.S.

CBG: "Is that a motorcycle inner you're trying to smuggle into the country?" he said with a very intimidating voice and facial expression.

ejfranz: "Nope, it's a belated birthday gift...I swear"!
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I am still trying to figure out all of this On Line buying and selling. Sure it is easy to find what you want and just have it shipped to your door but more and more I am finding most companies are both charging state sales taxes as well as exorbitant shipping and handling charges bringing the price of the item higher than it might have been if you found it locally. An item hawked on the TV for $19.99 by the time it gets to you ends up right around $34 and no big savings at all. How many times have all of us needed a few tiny carb parts that cost a grand total of $8.00 and after the shipping it is over $17.

Really the only places I am finding any On Line deals are in the big box stores that have catalogs and offer free shipping to the store for In Store pick up.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links