Mods for big guys
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Mods for big guys

Mods for big guys

I purchased my 2007 TW200 in June and love to take it down dirt roads and just explore or scout for good hunting spots. I am 6' 3" and "right now" around 260 lbs. and this bike is perfect for how & where I ride. Was just wondering if any of you in the 250+ club had some suggestions to help get a little more comfortable ride. Was thinking of a few changes that might help would be: handlebar raiser, bigger foot pegs, stiffer rear suspension, thicker seat or pad & maybe longer shifter/back break pedal. Also was wondering if a 15t front sprocket would help with a little more speed in 1st and 5th gear or would it bog down in the wind or hills at my weight. Any suggestions for products on these or any other ideas would be appreciated.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
    2007 Yamaha TW200

Handlebar riser was the single best mod for me (6' 260). Your height and reach would probably benefit from a pivot "Rox" type riser. If I ever redo my seat cover, I would love to add an inch of seat height. Sitting with my knees slightly above my hips is not the optimum set up. Lots of guys like bigger footpegs, for me, it seems cramped already with my size 12 boots, so I have not tried that mod yet.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

I did the handlebar risers, stiffer front springs with emulators , bigger foot pegs and 54 tooth rear sprocket. They've all been big improvements over stock for a fat kid like me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I'm nowhere near your height, but near or over your weight at times. You are on the right track. Bigger foot pegs are great. Seat Concepts is a must. Call them, they might be able to do a "tall". They do for other bikes, but I'm not sure if anyone has convinced them to make a tall mold, but they might. I personally prefer going for a little more torque than speed as far as gearing on the TW. Wind it out, you won't hurt it. Springs/pre-load to set proper rider sag really helps. Investing in the gold emulators in the front really, REALLY helps. Welcome, and happy riding!
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

I stand about 6' and weight in around 280 with riding gear.

I have my TW set up with heaviest pro cycle springs front and rear. ATV High bars, larger foot pegs, seat concepts seat, and 14/47 gearing which is great on the street and trail but there's no fixing the fact that the poor 200 mill is taxed by my weight on hills.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

TWinning,

I've done pretty much what Tinybear has done. What others have mentioned above that Tinybear didn't cover are good as well.

I have the handlebar risers (2") and much more comfortable than the stock position. However, couple weeks ago I rode ejfranz's TW and he has ATV High Bars like Tinybear and bar risers. Riding in the sitting position felt the same but when I stood up, being 6"1 ish, the bars were in a much more comfortable position as I didn't have to lean over. This is only if you're gonna ride off-road and want to stand up.

Tinybear uses 14/47 gearing which is pretty good in everything but some of the steeper trails. I've used 14/55, 13/60 and currently 13/54 and I can scoot up the hills with my lard butt just fine, though I will agree with Tinybear that I wish the 200 mill would have a little more at times to make me pucker less on the trails. On street, well it just doesn't seem to matter what my gearing is as eventually I'll have to downshift.

Great advice by all the others and I'm just adding my confirmation to what they are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinybear View Post
    I stand about 6' and weight in around 280 with riding gear.

I have my TW set up with heaviest pro cycle springs front and rear. ATV High bars, larger foot pegs, seat concepts seat, and 14/47 gearing which is great on the street and trail but there's no fixing the fact that the poor 200 mill is taxed by my weight on hills.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Every mod you mentioned will help. I've done almost all of them (chain gearing different).
    But maybe you don't need all of them so start with the easiest and least costly in time and $$$.

Risers.
    admiral and TWinning like this.

This fourum and members are amazing! Thanks for sharing and appreciate all the great ideas.
    As most of you mentioned I think I will start with the 2" risers and take the advise of stagewex & go slow on the $$$.
    admiral likes this.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
    2007 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by TWinning View Post
    This fourum and members are amazing! Thanks for sharing and appreciate all the great ideas.
    As most of you mentioned I think I will start with the 2" risers and take the advise of stagewex & go slow on the $$$.

Good start. If you ride off-road or at least on bumpy roads and your feet keep falling off, I'd suggest wider footpegs next. The bar risers do help with the posture/neck pain I'd get after a while with the bars in the stock position. ...and you can find them cheap too saving the wallet from losing weight too fast.
    TWinning likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I'm 6'4" and heavy as well. I've done most of what has been mentioned already, and I'm very happy with the results (see my thread: https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...-day-mods.html )

The heavy duty shock and fork springs are the most critical upgrades for a heavy rider, in my opinion.

Oversized foot pegs are a must-do for almost everybody.

As a heavier rider, I was surprised to find that raising the gear ratio (by replacing the 14 tooth front sprocket with a 15 tooth) actually improved performance across the board! Somehow, the horsepower/torque/momentum combination just seems to work better.

That said... I'd sure like this same bike in a 350!
    Mattwings and TWinning like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links