New to Me
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: New to Me

New to Me

As you may know, Mrs Trip and I picked up 2 new (used) TWs in mid August when we got back from Ireland. I have a set list of things that we change to make them to our liking.
    The bikes looked like this when we got them...except for the racks, they are pretty much stock. We bought them both the same day from 2 different craigslist sellers about 50 miles apart.
    There was nothing available for a long time, and then all of a sudden, a bunch.

I will get the one on the left. It is a 2009 with 1400 miles on it.
    Mrs Trip will get the bike on the right. It is a 2008 with about 2200 miles on the clock. However, it is in immaculate condition, where as the 2009 has been crashed at least once (the bars are tweaked) and it has some light surface rust in a few spots.

Today, the one on the left looks like this:

I'll detail the changes here in my next post tomorrow.
    Dryden-Tdub, Mel, grewen and 14 others like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

AWESOME job on that bike!!!! What did you do to the seat? It looks different to me.

Tom
    Rhodetrip and jtomelliott49 like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Handguards look desirable too with good wind protection. Brand?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    That looks nice. Ready for the trails.

I was inspired by the Admiral's bike that is painted in a Desert Tan color. I figured here in the northeast, though, a green drab color made more sense. I want a low profile when the zombie apocalypse happens.
    I took GaryL's advice in another thread, and I used the older plastics off a different bike, and saved the newer plastics originally on this bike.
    I used Rustoleum Camoflage paint from Walmart in Dark Forest green. Prepped with a scothbrite wheel on a polishing jack to minimize the scratches on the old plastics. They came out very nice with the matte finish non-reflective paint. It actually is kind of a grey/green color. Very stealth.

Starting at the top is a Jimbo shield in Dark Grey.
    Oxford heated grips wired direct to the battery with the controller mounted on the risers.
    SE ATV low bars - aluminum
    Rox 2 inch risers... between the risers and the new bars, I had to re-route the throttle cables and the kill switch/ start wiring. I was afraid it wasn't going to fit at first, but eventually it worked out.
    It tugged enough at full lock to separate the kill switch wire at the connection plug under the tank, leaving me with a WTF why won't it start problem for a while until I removed the tank and traced the wire back.
    Sae plug from the battery to the cockpit area for charging and powering the Garmin locking mount for the Montana GPS or cell phone.
    D-Flex handguards with the optional "spoilers" that I painted to match the other plastics. The inner guards I left black.
    Custom switchmount for the SuperbrightLeds.com auxillary lights, which I mounted to the existing reflector brackets. 900 lumens each.
    Also installed a Cyclops LED headlight from RockyMtnAtv. 3800 lumens.

Next up, The Clarke tank (2.8 gal) in black.
    I sent the seat to Fisher Upholstery in Idaho for a modification. They raised it and widened the seat and put a pigskin and carbon fiber cover on it.
    The original horn I replaced with a Denali Soundbomb that is plug and play. DENALI SoundBomb Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Motorcycle Horn | TwistedThrottle.com
    New cast steel footpegs.
    Richochet skidplate.

Cyclerack installed.

To do list:
    I am replacing the stock spring with the red Procycle shock spring.

Forks are going to get the heaviest Procycle springs and cartridge emulators, as well as new fork oil and new seals.

I have not installed the mesh headlight guard on this bike yet.

Needs the chain and/or sprockets upgraded to x-ring.

Needs some reflective tape applied to compensate for removing the reflectors from the forks.
    Elvesus, Mel, admiral and 9 others like this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodetrip View Post
    I sent the seat to Fisher Upholstery in Idaho for a modification. They raised it and widened the seat and put a pigskin and carbon fiber cover on it.

To do list:
    I am replacing the stock spring with the red Procycle shock spring.

I was hoping the Seat Concepts seat would have been built up enough in the front to keep me from sliding forward like your Fischer Seat. Some of my problem is the Ceros ATV Tire is taller and raises the ass end of the TW up. Like you with the heaviest Procycle shock, I may drop to the lowest groove and see how that works. Too late to do it now for Fred's Carson Pass Ride this weekend as I'm already loaded up. (I kind of hate fighting with compressing the spring so I'm procrastinating). If I got a good spring compressor instead of the floor jack/ratchet strap compressor, it would probably be much easier not to mention safer. But I like living on the edge...not really.

Just before RoninBoise passed away he had a Fischer Seat made for his TW. I sat on it in his garage but that was it. Unfortunately, he passed away before he got to ride it much. I also put a Seat Concepts Seat on Mrs. Admiral's TW and even on her TW she slides forward towards the gas tank. The actual comfort of our seats isn't a problem other than sliding forward.

I like the way the front of the seat is built up. Also, helps with the knee position as your not in a seated squat position quite as much. Even though I've painted my more of a desert tan to match our environment, I do like the green like yours much better.

Looks Good!

Rhodetrip, Tweaker, Ken and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

So, has anyone ever suffered a broken headlight lens that they feel a mesh stone guard would have prevented?
    grewen, Rhodetrip, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I was hoping the Seat Concepts seat would have been built up enough in the front to keep me from sliding forward like your Fischer Seat. Some of my problem is the Ceros ATV Tire is taller and raises the ass end of the TW up. Like you with the heaviest Procycle shock, I may drop to the lowest groove and see how that works. Too late to do it now for Fred's Carson Pass Ride this weekend as I'm already loaded up. (I kind of hate fighting with compressing the spring so I'm procrastinating). If I got a good spring compressor instead of the floor jack/ratchet strap compressor, it would probably be much easier not to mention safer. But I like living on the edge...not really.

Just before RoninBoise passed away he had a Fischer Seat made for his TW. I sat on it in his garage but that was it. Unfortunately, he passed away before he got to ride it much. I also put a Seat Concepts Seat on Mrs. Admiral's TW and even on her TW she slides forward towards the gas tank. The actual comfort of our seats isn't a problem other than sliding forward.

I like the way the front of the seat is built up. Also, helps with the knee position as your not in a seated squat position quite as much. Even though I've painted my more of a desert tan to match our environment, I do like the green like yours much better.

Looks Good!

Kris, make your own compressor, it's fairly easly and get your pops in law to weld it up for you15.JPG14.JPG
    Last edited by grewen; 10-05-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    admiral, Rhodetrip, Ken and 2 others like this.
    Greg
    2020 yamaha TW200
    2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom

Jim, did you guys wear out 2 more bikes on the Isle? i haven't seen any links to your blogs, so i guess i'm missing out on your adventures
    Rhodetrip, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Greg
    2020 yamaha TW200
    2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post

I checked with Seat Concepts a few years ago if they would make a high seat for the TW200, but they said no. I had been stuffing extra foam under a Walmart seat pad so I knew the profile I wanted, and Fisher will make it. It is kind of steep, though, especially when you ship the seat both ways. Its worth it to me, though. I hate the numb nuts from the stock seat and can't ride all day like I can with the better seat. And that's funny...I like the desert tan of your bike better, but I wanted to be different.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links