Shinko 244 Front Tire
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Shinko 244 Front Tire

Finally got a chance to try out the new Shinko 244 on the front. N2O2 Diver said that it would take a few days to get used to it, but that it is a great tire.

He was right. At first it felt weird at low speeds on pavement. That lasted about ten minutes.

My test route starts with a little over 30 miles of winding two lane pavement and an elevation increase of about 4000 feet. From there I take a mostly easy two-track which has

some moderately rough sections and which connects to some OMIGOD! stuff. It runs from Pine Valley through Corral Hollow around Lake Morena.

I ran at about 45-50mph on the way up there, wanting to get some pavement miles on that new tire before pushing it. I gradually began trusting it.

Once off-road it only took about 1/4 mile to realize that the Shinko is light years better than the old stocker.

Where the old tire would sometimes slip or slide sideways over loose rocks, this tire simply rolled over them without being deflected at all. The stocker was not bad on deep sand,

but the Shinko treated it almost as if it did not exist. I was running 18/18 pressures, probably a bit high for the dirt, but it still soaked up the bigger hits. I ran some of the

moderately rough stuff in 2nd and 3rd gears at 10-25 mph and it was good there as well.

On the way home I ran it a bit faster and it tracked very well. N2O2 Diver was right. It is a very good tire.

This bike is now ready for the Sierras. I can't wait.

LuvNot likes this.

Heard alot about this tire.....keep TW'ers posted as the miles roll on!.

Thanks for the info! Good to hear from folks about items and real world thoughts.

I am looking at this tire for my Wife's bike, seems like it would improve her offroad traction without being tough to handle on road.

Thanks again!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What size tire did you use?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

We need to keep quiet about this tire or they'll jack up the price . I just bought my second set for the KLR and they both cost me less than one D606.

I changed speedometers and didn't note the mileage when I did it, but I'm guessing I have 5-6,000 miles on the 5.10 SR244.

I'll post a pic later, but if you look at the main central tread pattern you'll see that it alternates 1-2-1-2. When used as a front tire the single center lugs tend not to wear at all wheras the rows of two lugs will tend "slope" or feather under over time. If you catch this at the first sign of a visible angle you can just reverse them on the rim and run them a few more thousand miles until it appears again, then flip them again.

I've flipped mine twice and it's coming due for it again. I expect to get as much as 10,000 miles out of it, and that's really saying something when it comes to a dualsport tire.

This also apllies to the Kendas, which will wear similarly, but any non-directional knobby can be reversed for better wear.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Tony, I got the 5.10X18. Stock size is 130 and I wanted to stay as close to that as possible.

5.10"

X 25.4 mm per inch

--------------

129.54 mm which rounds to 130 mm.
    Byron likes this.

I'm fairly new to this forum and had not really paid much attention to the TW until recently. I ran across a test of a TW in a copy of Motorcycle Consumer News from a couple of years ago. I have been riding for a long time; I'll be 79 next spring. As many of you know, conventional dirt bikes do not operate well at low speeds. Rough sections are best tackled at a higher speed while standing on the pegs.

Once my joints prevented me from comfortably standing on the pegs I reluctantly gave up riding dirt about ten years ago. A couple of years after that my 10 y.o. grandson begged me to teach him to ride dirt, so I bought bikes for both of us and we rode together until last year. I could no longer ride well, but he didn't care; we were riding.

When he went into the army I gave it up again and sold my dirt bike. Then this year I ran across a magazine article touting a dirt bike which actually works very well with the rider just sitting in the seat and going slow. I started looking for a TW.

The members of this forum have helped me get my TW set up as it should be, and I'm extremely grateful. I'm still a good, fast street rider but really missed the dirt. The TW has given me the ability to once again ride into some of my favorite places in the Sierras. The members of this forum have been very helpful in making that possible. Thank you.

I think a lot of us hope to be you somewhere down the road. Thanks for the background info.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Kind of new to riding, and the TW is my first bike. I noticed right away that the front tire seems loose on gravel, like it wants to slide back and forth a bit on the loose rock. Is this a normal function of riding a motorcycle on gravel, or does it come from the stock tire? I will change it if I need to, but only if it will make it ride better. This post sounds a little like what I am describing, and possibly offers a solution. Where does everyone get your tires? Motorcycle dealers, and do you have them mount them? Do they balance them? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom99 View Post
    Tony, I got the 5.10X18. Stock size is 130 and I wanted to stay as close to that as possible.

5.10"

X 25.4 mm per inch

--------------

129.54 mm which rounds to 130 mm.
    I measured my stock Bridgestone 130/80-18 tire and it measure 115 mm. Figures. I was thinking of a 120/90-18 Heidenau tire for the front and it measures a true 120. Cost is about $110, or a 140/80-18 for $140, but when compared to the Shinko for around $55 it makes me pause, and Shinko looks more like a dirt tire. I still haven't decided but I bet the Heidenau on the front of a TW would last a long time on pavement and give OK performance off road.

What kind of mileage can be expected on the Shinko when used primarily on the street? Lizrdbrth says he expects 10K miles but I am betting about half that or more is in the dirt.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links