Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Drapes
  • 2 Post By Xaman
  • 3 Post By joeband
  • 3 Post By Drapes
  • 1 Post By Miaugi
  • 1 Post By Drapes

Thread: 1989 Tw200 Full tear-down and rebuild!

1989 Tw200 Full tear-down and rebuild!

20170219_135525.jpg

Winter is approaching and the TW is patiently sitting in the garage next to it's friend the 1991 organ donor. The plan is to tear down the 1989, rebuild engine and paint the frame and swingarm. Fork seals, steering head bearings and whatever else becomes needy as the parts begin to expose themselves.

I bought the '89 about a year ago, for 1000 canadian sheckles. It runs ok, looks like crap and hasn't stopped working in the year I've owned it. The speedo works, the ODO does not. Mileage is unknown.

I want to rebuild the top end, make it shiny and have it ready to go by March 2018. If it was just for me, I'd touch up the paint and replace the odo and ride it till she pops... but since it's for my lady, and the plan is to do some exploring with it (chasing me on the wr250r :P) I want it to be reliable as a fresh TW.

My first order of business is to begin removing parts, labelling bags and taking pictures as I go. There's no way I'll be able to remember how it came apart once the weeks pass and it's time for re-assembly.

I'm gathering supplies, and have already purchased a full set of stainless hardware for the engine. I'll be ordering new valves soon. Also playing with the idea of going with a wiseco piston and possibly boring out the head. I'm on my 4th TW, and don't mind the displacement... but the idea of having a few more ponies on that little donkey is tantalizing :P

I'll be posting more and updating this thread as the progress continues. For now, I'm looking into paint options for the frame and swingarm.

I had a local shop quote me 250 dollars for sandblast and powdercoat. As a professional painter, I feel like this is overkill and money wasted. It's not a show bike, it's a mountain goat. I have enough experience painting steel and aluminum to do a good job with the frame using wire wheel/die grinder and a small sprayer or even rattlecans.

I'd be happy to hear suggestions or recommendations from others who have undergone a full teardown and rebuild. I have a pretty good idea of what to do, but it's my first time and welcome the wisdom of my fellow TW restorers.
    littletommy, LuvNot and Tweaker like this.
    1989 Tw200
    1991 Tw200
    2008 WR250R
    2004 Ford Ranger FXR Lvl II

I just completed a complete rebuild. You’ve got the right idea with taking lots of pictures, and a service manual is also helpful for rebuild. Beyond that, just figure on spending much more than you think, it all adds up. Bearings, gaskets, bolts, etc... I had a huge pile of parts for powdercoating, and the bill came to $500, yikes. But it’s fun and you’ll learn a lot.
    littletommy and 2scoops like this.

hey drapes,

your bike is an example of why i first put together the year by year picture list... swapped out bits and pieces that make it confusing to ID a model year.
    all that and it's still a good looking bike.

mine has been 'upgraded' to a 226 6 spd and i can say it was worth the effort for the gains. the extra ummpht is nice when on a hill and that 2nd-3rd was never just right... now i can hit it in 3rd and have the pull to keep going. a 55 tooth sprocket might have cheaper and easier, but then not as happy at 55mph going home.

take lots of pics and enjoy!
    littletommy, grewen and Drapes like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

the pic I have provided is of the 1989 wearing the 1991's clothing :P The smurf blue plastics that came with the 1989 are very tired. I sorta like the blue and grey scheme but I think I'll be painting the frame black, to better match the grey plastics with the hot pink electric on the side covers :P

As for budget, I don't mind shelling out a few hundred in parts. I'd like to come in under 2000, factoring in the initial cost of purchase. Here in Canukistan, or at least out west... you can't find a TW for less than 2500 bucks. I had to take two ferries and drive for 3 hours to get the '89 for 1000. I wanted a project... and I got one

Stay tuned

littletommy, Xaman and joeband like this.
    1989 Tw200
    1991 Tw200
    2008 WR250R

Keep us posted as things progress.
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Looking at the picture of your bike tells me that bike wasn't beat on. Unless it was run with no air filter or oil that bike will run a long time . If any you need to have assurance buy a new CDI to have on hand when the 89 CDI starts causing fits.

Does it blow smoke or make noises? These little piggys are pretty darn reliable in their mild tune.
    Last edited by Maxpower; 10-14-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    87 TW

I restored my 88 over the winter fortunately my frame and motor was in good condition. Lots of gremlins but I enjoyed it. Good luck and enjoy.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...ack-widow.html
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Pictures can lie.... :P When I bought the bike, the carb intake boot was hard and detached from the carb. The plastics were showing many falls and scrapes. The front tire was extremely worn down... almost bald. Speedo cable didn't spin... brake pads fell off the shoes in the drum... exhaust was rusted through... it was parked after a hard low side and sat for probably 10 years under a tarp.

The top of the valves appear to be slightly concaved as well, and one of them isn't flat... it's sorta sloping. It's a bit noisier than my 2010 or 2011 were (going by memory). It also likes to sorta die when it gets hot. I don't know if that is valve related or jetting... but after running for a while I need to turn up the idle a bit to keep it from stalling. I'm sure it would run for alot longer with no more attention that valve checks and oil changes, but I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks now instead of when the weather is nice!

All that aside, it's still a hoot to ride. Especially after selling my newer TW's, getting faster bigger bikes and then going back to a dirty old TW. I really appreciate the seat height and bottom end torque on the trail. Patiently waiting for KTM's and WRR's to catch up is always satisfying

The big motivator for rebuild is the experience, and the peace of mind come Spring that I have a reliable bike for my girlfriend to learn on. At this point I don't even know the mileage of the bike. Judging by the wear on the front tire I'm guessing at least 20000km....
    littletommy likes this.
    1989 Tw200
    1991 Tw200
    2008 WR250R

Sponosred Links