led spot flood lights
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I want to put a couple of led spot flood lights on above the headlight on either side. Want to be able switch headlight off and leds on and not have both on together. The lights are 27w each,and will be off a relay, will this be asking for trouble as far as balance and wattage?
    Island-Tduber

where did you get the lights ?

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by emillio View Post
    where did you get the lights ?

[email protected]
    I got them off ebay there are a number of different sellers.
    Island-Tduber

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't see an issue. The stocker is 65W, 52 is close enough.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Actually, the stocker is 55w on low, 60w on high. I'd wire a double throw switch into the hot wire leading to the dimmer switch. Flip one way, headlight works normally. Flip the other way, LEDs come one. In the middle, all off for a hotter engine crank when starting.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    I don't see an issue. The stocker is 65W, 52 is close enough.
    Thanks for confirming its doable.

Ron

Island-Tduber

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Actually, the stocker is 55w on low, 60w on high. I'd wire a double throw switch into the hot wire leading to the dimmer switch. Flip one way, headlight works normally. Flip the other way, LEDs come one. In the middle, all off for a hotter engine crank when starting.
    qwerty thats what I had in mind only better with switching both off for starting, thanks for the instruction.

Ron

Island-Tduber

With a double throw switch there are 3 positions: circuit 1--off--circuit 2.The turn signal switch is of this type.

More specifically, you want what is called a Single Pole Double throw switch. There will be three contacts on the back, usually two of one color and the 3rd a different color. Connect the hot wire to the odd color. Connect each of the light circuits to one of the terminals of the shared color. Off will be in the middle.

Autocraft Part No. 85919/85919 goes for about $5. No panel, wires or waterproofing included.

For ease of mounting and a reasonably weatherproof installation, I'd hunt around for a universal motorcycle headlight switch with off, low bean, and high beam positions. These mount with a screw or two on any 7/8-inch pipe, say, like the handlebars. Maybe hunt around the dualsport light kits for dirt bikes. You can get these switches combined with other switches in the same housing for controlling multiple accessories. I've used the K&S Technologies Part Number 12-0051 on p[rojects before. Cost about $35, and money well spent for the convenience and weatherproofing. It's only rated for 2 amps so you'll want to wire relays with 14 gauge on the switched ciruits.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    With a double throw switch there are 3 positions: circuit 1--off--circuit 2.The turn signal switch is of this type.

More specifically, you want what is called a Single Pole Double throw switch. There will be three contacts on the back, usually two of one color and the 3rd a different color. Connect the hot wire to the odd color. Connect each of the light circuits to one of the terminals of the shared color. Off will be in the middle.

Autocraft Part No. 85919/85919 goes for about $5. No panel, wires or waterproofing included.

For ease of mounting and a reasonably weatherproof installation, I'd hunt around for a universal motorcycle headlight switch with off, low bean, and high beam positions. These mount with a screw or two on any 7/8-inch pipe, say, like the handlebars. Maybe hunt around the dualsport light kits for dirt bikes. You can get these switches combined with other switches in the same housing for controlling multiple accessories. I've used the K&S Technologies Part Number 12-0051 on p[rojects before. Cost about $35, and money well spent for the convenience and weatherproofing. It's only rated for 2 amps so you'll want to wire relays with 14 gauge on the switched ciruits.
    This will make it easier thanks for the info.

Ron
    Island-Tduber

len
    Island, I have the same set of LEDs on order that I was hoping to replace the stock headlight with. Have you had the lights plugged in yet? Would you be able to comment if the lights are bright enough to replace the stocker? Any beamshots you could share?

Let us know, thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links