Triple clamp swaps?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So, I'm thinking about fitting a 21inch front wheel and tyre and brake combo... Im liking the vx250 virago front end. I've measured the forks they are both 33mm dia but our TW triple clamps are almost 7.5 inches wide and the virago ones are much narrower...

What I'd like to know is... What other triple clamps fit on TW's?

Few front ends will be as wide as a TW's.

Not an issue as long as there is tank clearance. Bigger things to consider are steering stem length, bearing availability, rake and trail, fork stops, braking, offset and handlebar placement.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Other triple clamps from a view bikes will fit.

The steering head bearings are a indicator for fitment.

Just search for a front end, which you like and than you can search for a fitting steering head bearing set. Maybe you have to combine 2 different sets for your front end conversion.

Regards, Sebastian

Germany

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If they're both 33mm forks then what is the issue? Just use your triple with the Virago forks then all you'll need is to figure out the front axle.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jake- View Post
    If they're both 33mm forks then what is the issue? Just use your triple with the Virago forks then all you'll need is to figure out the front axle.
    this reply makes sense to me... What ya'all think???

Problems if you change just the forks:

- making spacers for centering the front wheel

- brake disk and caliper

->>> you have to make a adapter for the brake caliper or for the brake disk or for both.

You will not have these problems, if you change the complete front end (triple clamps, forks, brake, hub or complete wheel)

Lots more work than it's worth. Even if the stem length doesn't call for a bearing spacer (which usually looks like hell) or having a new stem made and pressed in the triples, the disc will be a minimum of 1" inboard of the caliper mount. The axle hole will be different and you'll need custom axle spacers. The above issues would be easier to deal with if you started with a TW hub, but then you'd still need to lace it to a 21 to get the look he was after in the first place. $$$$$

The quickest route is to lace a 21 to the TW wheel and call it done. Next is to do some very serious homework regarding stem lengths and bearings and directly swap the forks, triples, wheels and brakes as a complete assembly from a single front end. If you can't lace wheels yourself this can actually work out cheaper in the long run, but only if you do your homework.

Swapping front ends ain't rocket science, but there are a lot of things to consider or the project can pretty quickly get out of hand.

As Mackbig suggested one good indicator of possible candidates are bearing sizes. If it were me I'd spend a long night on the 'net perusing all the Yamaha models which share the same bearings as the TW. The AllBalls applications list might get you started.

Your little Virago could very well be a good candidate. Check the bearing and race sizes and compare them with th TW. If the stem of the Virago is larger or smaller in diameter than the TW look to see if there is an existing bearing and race which will accomodate both.Then the tiebreaker will be the length of the stem. That info will not be as easy to obtain, so you'll have to get your hands on one to measure.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

He is wanting a 21" wheel.

Here is what I would attempt:

Find a 21" wheel that has same ID bearing size as a TW200 (that way you could use the tw200 axle)

I'd swap over the brake parts from the Virago (reservoir, line, caliper)

I think finding a brake disk the same size as a virago that will also bolt to your hub could be tough.

It will probably require making your own axle spacers but that isn't a big deal.

Lrzbrth is on to the easiest route. If you use the TW hub, no worrying about triple swaps, adapting calipers, axle spacers, speedometer drives or anything.

A rim and spoke set and you'd be set. Lacing wheels isn't hard at all. Once you get the pattern in your head, you could do one in half an hour.

Zackly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links