Anyone know what vintage tanks might easily fit on a tw?
Close

I've seen two pics so far of TWs with vintage tanks floating around the Internet. The brown one with "flakes" written on the tank and the aqua green one that's owned by Jeff Kelas and while they state what tanks they use no one talks about how much work it took to make the tanks fit on the tw. Anyone know of any specific vintage tanks that might fit without a lot of welding and or fabing of stuff?

Well I know what your talking about. Its a 1978-1979 YZ 80 gas tank. Another one you can look at is a 1975 DT400. I got this 181 page TW custom book when I went home for Christmas. It had it in there but I bet they still modified the flakes one. Its not hard to modify though. You can take your stock TW tank and get a vintage tank. Take it to a metal shop. They will cut some 2inch pipe and weld it on the tank and your done. Get it painted. Post some pictures of what your aiming for. I got lots of ideas and if you have any questions I can tell you what I did to mine. I have one of those "hollow" bikes. They call it a naked bike in Japan cause you strip it down to the bear minimal like a girl.

Was thinking of maybe a vintage aluminum tank cause I can leave most of it bare aside from some pinstriping on it and not worry about rust.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

vintage aluminum tanks are usually expensive in good condition. The cheap ones need alot of work. Dents and chip paint everywhere. Check out ebay

len
    I'm also interested in knowing what other tanks may fit with little modification. I looked at the YZ80 and DT400 but it seemed as though the mounting ears are different on those tanks.

Does anyone else have any experience mounting a tank with more of a "street" look?

1986 TW will fit.

I'm messing around with the idea of putting an old harley fatboy tank on my TW.

z
    Full custom 2008 TW200/250 build pics of my bike... I call her TW (short for "Twice Wicked" for her almost doubled HP Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Newest member of the herd... 1987 Honda CBX250... this bike will become a board tracker this summer

Hidden Content

Bought another bike last fall (2012) ... 1982 Kawasaki KZ305 it's a "mostly done" bobber project I got for practically nothing

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links