A few small modifications so far to a three week old 2017 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: A few small modifications so far to a three week old 2017 TW200

A few small modifications so far to a three week old 2017 TW200

Been enjoying riding the TW200 both on and off road for a bit over 500 miles over the past few weeks. I'm fortunate to have a 10,000 acre OHV area 15 minutes up a winding canyon road in the southern California mountains. I work nights, so I can ride most days too. It's been 30 years since I owned a motorcycle, and it's just a thrill every day, and the TW200 is just fantastic stomping through the mountain trails and buzzing around town.

So far I've added the OEM Rear Fender Rack, some fat foot pegs and a longer gear shift for a YZ250 so my boots fit properly. Also ordered the RoxSpeedFX 2" Handlebar Risers with the vibration suppression which I'll be putting on next week when they arrive. Hoping that helps for a little more comfortable street ride. I've considered going with a 47T rear sprocket, but I don't find the 50-55mph speeds I hit around town overly hard on the engine, and I really enjoy the torque going up some steep rocky hillsides. I'm 6'1" 220lbs, and the TW200 moves me around just fine, and I think less teeth on the sprocket might not move me when I want to move through something tough off road. Any experienced opinions there are welcome.

I'm also thinking about the Seat Concepts seat modification, although the stock seat has not really bothered me yet, I am one who enjoys comfort. Last thing I'm thinking right now is more cosmetic, but I am not sure if I like the white plastic, and might prefer replacing with black plastic parts, blacking them out or painting. But then other times I look at the bike and love it like it is.

Here's a few pictures which I'll add to as I add the handlebar risers etc. Any suggestions on mods or advise about the TW200 is welcome.

image1.JPG

rocks-tw200.jpg

image3.JPG

image4.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nick-Digs-Cali; 11-02-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Rotated photo

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Digs-Cali View Post
    Been enjoying riding the TW200 both on and off road for a bit over 500 miles over the past few weeks. I'm fortunate to have a 10,000 acre OHV area 15 minutes up a winding canyon road in the southern California mountains. I work nights, so I can ride most days too. It's been 30 years since I owned a motorcycle, and it's just a thrill every day, and the TW200 is just fantastic stomping through the mountain trails and buzzing around town.

So far I've added the OEM Rear Fender Rack, some fat foot pegs and a longer gear shift for a YZ250 so my boots fit properly. Also ordered the RoxSpeedFX 2" Handlebar Risers with the vibration suppression which I'll be putting on next week when they arrive. Hoping that helps for a little more comfortable street ride. I've considered going with a 47T rear sprocket, but I don't find the 50-55mph speeds I hit around town overly hard on the engine, and I really enjoy the torque going up some steep rocky hillsides. I'm 220lbs, and the TW200 moves me around just fine, and I think less teeth on the sprocket might not move me when I want to move through something tough off road. Any experienced opinions there are welcome.

I'm also thinking about the Seat Concepts seat modification, although the stock seat has not really bothered me yet, I am one who enjoys comfort. Last thing I'm thinking right now is more cosmetic, but I am not sure if I like the white plastic, and might prefer replacing with black plastic parts, blacking them out or painting. But then other times I look at the bike and love it like it is.

Here's a few pictures which I'll add to as I add the handlebar risers etc. Any suggestions on mods or advise about the TW200 is welcome.

image1.JPG

rocks-tw200.jpg

image3.JPG

image4.JPG
    Nice T-dub! Welcome from across the pond

Welcome. Lose the front tire ASAP. If you do a lot of off roading I can’t recommend going higher on the gearing. The guys I bought my bikes from tried 47 tooth rear sprockets and they came on our bikes. I quickly changed them to 50 and now much prefer 55 T for off road driving. Yes the street speed is lower but for me the compromise is worth it vs the off roadability.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!
    I'll 2nd Tweaker's front tire recommendation.
    Hand guards are always a must if you are doing off road riding.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Welcome to the forum, Nick!

Brian

I have done easy off-road stuff with 14-45. But on the last Fred ride (with tougher sections); I had run 15-50 (which is equal to 14-47) and would NOT recommend going higher than stock for anything but fairly easy off-roading. The "14-47" was definitely POOR on steeper loose rocky stuff (especially if you need to start out from a stop).
    Last edited by old w/??; 11-03-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Thank you all for the great feedback. You settled my mind on sticking with the stock gearing for now. As I said it gets me around town and up the side of a mountain, so what more could I want.

Interesting feedback on the front tire. I had not heard this before, but did read through the excellent tire thread. What are the issues folks have with the stock front tire? Bad off-road traction? Vibration on road? These would be my guesses. And recommendation for a replacement?

Thanks for the hand guard tip. I have not researched those yet. Definitely something I'll be needing.

I had mentioned the seat kit above. Are there any other seat options that work with the stock tank etc?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Nice bike and mods.
    The stock seat is adequate. But compared to the Seat Concepts kit it's pathetic.
    I did add 1 inch risers (I'm 6'2") at the same time I introduced the SC seat. Not much more to say about riding in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-Digs-Cali View Post
    What are the issues folks have with the stock front tire? Bad off-road traction? Vibration on road? These would be my guesses. And recommendation for a replacement?

Welcome to the forum. The stock Bridgestone front tire does not have good traction off-pavement. The knobs are not very tall and don't grip the soil very well plus they wear out rather quickly. If you are a good off-road rider you can make it work but you will notice from time-to-time it will washout going around turns/corners. Not really any good in sand either.

It's fine on pavement.

Some of the popular replacements are: For off-road: Pirelli MT43 Trials tire; Shinko SR241 Trail tire (also a trials looking tire); SR244 (5.10x18 or 4.60x18). There are many others which are and have been used but not in the numbers of the tires I mentioned above.

For more of a street oriented tire, some will switch to the Bridgestone TW203 (front); TW204 (rear) tires.
    Purple, Tweaker, ejfranz and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Welcome. All good mods so far. Agree with recommendations on changing the front tire. The two trials options Admiral notes are good options and work well here.
    1987 TW200
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250s
    2012 Honda CRF250x
    2019 Beta 200 RR

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links