Jetting for 10k feet
Close

Plan on going elk hunting to Colorado in October. Currently my 2000 TW is 100% stock and runs good here at 900 ft above sea level. We took my dad's 200 cc 4 wheeler a couple of years ago and it wouldn't run good enough to pull a hill with you on it. I want to avoid that with the t-dub. So I assume I only need to change the main jet but to what size? thanks!

There is only one way to find out and that is to try your bike at those elavations with different jets. The higher you go the leaner you need to go on the jets. There is a product called dial-a- jet which is an adjustable (jet) that adds more fuel when required. If you run your bike at 10,000 feet you would put in a lean main jet that runs good at that elavation and when at lower elavations you adjust the dial-a- jet to richen the mix. I haven't used one because I don't see those kind of elavation changes but the idea seems to make sense. Here is the link . http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

Not interested in spending that much coin. I could buy 2 jets of every size for that price! lol, thanks though. I think I'll probably just pack several different sizes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I never looked up the price but you're right, they are expensive. I guess if you were riding from sea level to 10,000 feet on a weekly basis it might be worth

it. There are some folks on the forum that suggeted drilling holes in the air box and plugging them by some means until you reach higher elavations. By

removing the plugs there is more air available to lean out the mix. The higher you go the more plugs you remove. Haven't tried this either but it also makes sense. Good luck on the Elk hunting trip.

Mine's a stock '96. I live at 5,000 ft. and have had it, so far, as high as 8,500 ft. and it's run fine. Next trip I should be going higher and I'll report back how it does. Of course, yours may do different, so I wouldn't hesitate to carry some jets along.

On a side note, where are you hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by kgriff View Post
    Mine's a stock '96. I live at 5,000 ft. and have had it, so far, as high as 8,500 ft. and it's run fine. Next trip I should be going higher and I'll report back how it does. Of course, yours may do different, so I wouldn't hesitate to carry some jets along.

On a side note, where are you hunting?

Thanks, let us know! We will be hunting near Gunnison. We will probably go as high as 12k feet unless there is a lot of snow.

You hunting up by crested butte? My 98 has the same carb your does and it made it over 13,100'"imogene pass" but it sputtered past 9,500. Might go a few sizes smaller. I

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post
    You hunting up by crested butte? My 98 has the same carb your does and it made it over 13,100'"imogene pass" but it sputtered past 9,500. Might go a few sizes smaller. I

Cannibal Plateau

Sponosred Links