Upside Down Forks
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Upside Down Forks

Upside Down Forks

Have read some info on reversing forks to enable better handling and stopping. Would like to hear any comments to support or deny these claims.
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.

I have done multiple "upside down forks, USD, inverted" style forks swaps and they typically have a night & day feels to each other.

That said you need have to take a lot of different things into consideration to achieve this conversion and most of the stock/factory front end parts need to be changed out.

Read this ......

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...inverted-forks
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Heli-Mech View Post
    I have done multiple "upside down forks, USD, inverted" style forks swaps and they typically have a night & day feels to each other.

That said you need have to take a lot of different things into consideration to achieve this conversion and most of the stock/factory front end parts need to be changed out.

Read this ......

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...inverted-forks
    have you done the swap on your tudub?
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you would be willing to give up the TW's fat tire/wide front end, then an inverted fork/front wheel swap would be pretty straightforward. Otherwise you would be looking at getting some custom made upper and lower triple clamps to accommodate the significantly larger diameter upper fork tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    have you done the swap on your tudub?
    Yes I have. I finished it up this spring in my build thread ..... but the photobucket BS kinda ruined the threads content. I hope to have the time to go back through and individually update each image eventually.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ld-thread.html

Here is my 1991 TW200 with a WR400 front forks/triples/wheel/brake setup. I had to machine a upper steering stem adapter, modify the steering stop on the frame and use a combo of TW200 and WR400 steering stem bearings to make it all work. The 21" wheel and long travel forks allow me to run trails at much higher speeds then before and it rides/behaves excellent.

20170630_195319.jpg
    Last edited by Heli-Mech; 11-21-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Looks like a fun bike to ride, but there is not much of the TW200 left in that build.
    Ken, grewen, littletommy and 1 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Looks like a fun bike to ride, but there is not much of the TW200 left in that build.
    Got to agree with you. Its kind of a TW/XT/WR hybrid now!

Okay, it's time to set the record straight. All TWs came with upside down forks, as did almost all bikes made in the late fifties or newer.
    In the early days of hydraulic forks, nearly all bikes were manufactured with the small diameter tube in the bottom position with the cylinder part above.
    This was because before hydraulic forks came along they were with the smaller diameter at the bottom. I don't know why, they just were.
    When it was discovered that doing them with the hydraulic cylinder at the bottom allowed less leakage, they began making them the way they now are.
    Hence for decades we have been riding on upside down forks until we all forgot how they were in years gone by. Before that they were springer forks and girder forks
    And some weird designs that were tried.
    So don't call the new types upsidown. They are not. They are a return to he original style with better seals and hydraulics.
    Phelonius

Off Topic-But There is a Photobucket Embedded Image Fix for Google Chrome created by a rider over at ADV. It's an add on and it works. PM me for the link, or alternatively-with permission from the mods, I can post it here. It's free.

Go ahead and post the fix please.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRandy View Post
    Off Topic-But There is a Photobucket Embedded Image Fix for Google Chrome created by a rider over at ADV. It's an add on and it works. PM me for the link, or alternatively-with permission from the mods, I can post it here. It's free.
    Dryden-Tdub and Badgerflorida like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links