Protaper bars?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Protaper bars?

Protaper bars?

I see much written that is very positive about the Protaper bars ... specfically concerning th use of the "High ATV" specific bar. My question is are there other Protaper models that members here also like ?

I'm also wondering if my standard factory cables can be used with these bars or will I need to purchase and install longer throttle, front brake, clutch and or speedo. cables ?

Thanks
    Gene
    littletommy, Ken and putt-putt like this.
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

I was able to use the Protaper ATV High bars with the stock length cables and brake line. It did require some rerouting and cutting/removing of cable ties, etc., to free up some extra length for the cables and brake line. I also filed off the nub on the inside of the throttle clamp. I found this to be easier than locating and drilling a corresponding hole in the Protaper bar.

It appears from your motorcycle picture, if those are the pro-taper bars shown, that the new bars are taller and more rearward than the stock bars. Is this correct? Are there other positives?
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade Rider View Post
    It appears from your motorcycle picture, if those are the pro-taper bars shown, that the new bars are taller and more rearward than the stock bars. Is this correct? Are there other positives?
    The bars in my avatar pic are actually the stock bars. Here are a couple of pics with the Protaper ATV Hi Bars mounted.

100_3391.JPG

100_3394.JPG

Yes, these Protaper bars are taller, longer and are angled rearward more than the stock bars. They are also made of thick walled aluminum tubing vs the thin walled steel of the Yamaha Bend-O-Matic stock bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I put the ATV High ProTapers on my '89 TW. It made for a much more comfortable riding position and made standing up on my pegs to stretch my legs a lot more manageable. I did cut off about an inch to 1.5 inches on both ends of the bars to make it easier to slide on all the stock cabled controls. Used a pipe cutter to do this but as TWBrian said the handlebars are thick so I had to twirl that pipe cutter about a million times before it cut all the through the handlebar.
    littletommy and Ken like this.

I bought the Protaper Medium bars which are exactly 1 3/4” higher then stock. I had to cut them off one mark to allow the Bark busters to fit properly.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I used the med. atv bar on the wife’s bike but used the ”Windham” model on my TW.
    It has nice height but less sweep than the atv bar. The flatter bar is really noticeable when you swap bikes.
    I was able to reroute cables on both bikes w/out problems

I am thinking of protaper bars but I am not sure which ones...... When you say go with the Protaper High ATV or Medium ATV I am assuming that they are the 7/8 bars so that the cables will fit........
    Is my assumption correct?
    Thanks, I only want to do this once and use the existing cables.......
    Cascade Rider and Ken like this.
    putt-putt

Either will fit (I went with the highest ones) 7/8's is the correct size.
    Quote Originally Posted by putt-putt View Post
    I am thinking of protaper bars but I am not sure which ones...... When you say go with the Protaper High ATV or Medium ATV I am assuming that they are the 7/8 bars so that the cables will fit........
    Is my assumption correct?
    Thanks, I only want to do this once and use the existing cables.......
    putt-putt and Ken like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks for all of the great info. I ended up getting the High ATV bars an cutting them back 2 marks on each side in my horizontal oil bath band saw. Worked excellent and it was suprising to see how thick the wall thickness is on these. I found by cutting off two marks on each end that they were still just slightly wider than stock and that the cables and front brake line mounted properly with little if any moving or re-routing of anything to get a good fit.

After installing the bars, I followed up with new set of Protaper grips and a cheap set of Chinese SRT handguards ( I was impressed with what I took as quality ? as they appear solid to me, they mounted up solid, allow sufficient lever movement without touching the levers, and look to protect my hand and levers to some degree.... but the best part was they were on "closeout" for $20 with all mounting hardware... { I'm thinking time and a couple tip overs will determine how good they actually are } Has anyone here used these an care to comment on them ?

Anyway, thanks again for all of the Bar advise. These " feel " and seem to work great, allowing me a more comfortable riding position and possibly a bit of increased control. I do know for sure that they feel considerably stronger than the stock bars.

Gene aka: excalibur
    littletommy, putt-putt and Ken like this.
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links