My First TW - Build Thread
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: My First TW - Build Thread

Red face My First TW - Build Thread

Hi Everyone,

My previous bikes have been a 250 Rebel, FZR 600, a few Ruckus 50's, and a Big Ruckus 250. A couple of my scooter buddies got trail bikes and I wanted to join them in the fun. I'm not very technically savvy, so will be asking a lot of questions and doing a lot of reading through this site for help.

I ended up with a 94 that's pretty beat up for $1800 and pr'ly needs a new battery as it didn't start from the electric button, but kicked right away and sounded good. I really wanted/preferred the more recent one from Goldenhtr, but found a deal many hours closer and ready to pick up so I pulled the trigger. I was without transpo since my most recent bike was rear-ended by an uninsured motorist and I just couldn't get it to start after that, no matter what we tried.

I'll post a pic later today and hope I can get some good constructive comments on things that may need to be replaced right away.

My initial concern is reconciling the stories told by the seller, where he said it's been a great reliable bike and he's taken it all over the place...yet the title is dated 9/7/17 and has someone else's name on it. It appears he bought it a few months ago & never changed the title over. Sadly, it was dark and freezing by the time we got there & I had to be up for work at 3.3a the next morning so I wasn't being as careful/scrutinizing as I should have been. He was a really nice guy. I'm hoping I don't get destroyed by penalties or have any issues at the DMV when registering this thing.

Thanks to excalibur for pointing me to the sale!

I'm staying positive & hoping I'll have a reliable bike.
    I've started combing the site for battery recommendations and it looks like the battery tender one is commonly suggested. Is there a thread with general specs of the bike or an online Service Manual I could download?

I'm happy to be joining the community! Hi everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by BloodAngl View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My previous bikes have been a 250 Rebel, FZR 600, a few Ruckus 50's, and a Big Ruckus 250. A couple of my scooter buddies got trail bikes and I wanted to join them in the fun. I'm not very technically savvy, so will be asking a lot of questions and doing a lot of reading through this site for help.

I ended up with a 94 that's pretty beat up for $1800 and pr'ly needs a new battery as it didn't start from the electric button, but kicked right away and sounded good. I really wanted/preferred the more recent one from Goldenhtr, but found a deal many hours closer and ready to pick up so I pulled the trigger. I was without transpo since my most recent bike was rear-ended by an uninsured motorist and I just couldn't get it to start after that, no matter what we tried.

I'll post a pic later today and hope I can get some good constructive comments on things that may need to be replaced right away.

My initial concern is reconciling the stories told by the seller, where he said it's been a great reliable bike and he's taken it all over the place...yet the title is dated 9/7/17 and has someone else's name on it. It appears he bought it a few months ago & never changed the title over. Sadly, it was dark and freezing by the time we got there & I had to be up for work at 3.3a the next morning so I wasn't being as careful/scrutinizing as I should have been. He was a really nice guy. I'm hoping I don't get destroyed by penalties or have any issues at the DMV when registering this thing.

Thanks to excalibur for pointing me to the sale!

I'm staying positive & hoping I'll have a reliable bike.
    I've started combing the site for battery recommendations and it looks like the battery tender one is commonly suggested. Is there a thread with general specs of the bike or an online Service Manual I could download?

I'm happy to be joining the community! Hi everyone!
    If DMV gives you any hassle, you can always register it in Vermont via mail. Since TWs are under 300cc, VT doesn't require a title for registration.
    Actually, being over 15 years old it still wouldn't require a title even if it were over 300cc.
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

Welcome! You picked a good year!

These bikes can be pretty reliable. The kick start sure does add points to reliability. I have replaced a good deal of parts on mine due to the age. Some of those parts probably would have been fine to ride on, but I felt better replacing them because I wanted to minimize the possibility of breakdowns.

Here's a general list of stuff I did:
    - Clean petcock screens (inside fuel tank)
    - Add inline fuel filter between petcock and carb
    - Fork service (replace seals and put fresh oil in)
    - Oil seals: shift shaft seal, inner and outer drive shaft seals
    - Oil: clean off filter, make sure you have the correct filter, replace oil, verify oil pressure at galley bolt before riding
    - Timing chain adjust (mine was probably never adjusted)
    - Valve clearance adjust
    - New tires and tubes: cheap insurance and not worth the risk of ridding on old rubber
    - Mix Seafoam in the gas to help clean out the carb

Stuff I did that I probably didn't have to do (made me feel better though):
    - Wheel bearings and seals (front and rear tires)
    - Front and rear sprockets and chain (replaced with O-Ring chain)

Reliability stuff for off road (if you plan to ride trails):
    - Hand guards
    - Better skid plate (I should have replaced mine much earlier than I did)
    - RideOn in the tubes

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm gald you found the bike, but also surprised about the questionable time period he owned it and the amount of riding he actually may have ridden on it ? I too was led to believe thru conversation with him, that he had owned and used it for some time.

As I told you, had I not thought of you, I would be picking that one up come Jan 1st. for the wife and one of two grandsons to ride with me. (BTW, I did get his son to come down to $1600 cash :-) but I think you still got a decent deal considering the 2 newer tires and the CR rear rack.

I put Pro-taper bars, Handguards ( SRT's on "close out" for $20 ) and new grips on my 2010 yesterday. With a new set of DMO specific TW footpegs and a somewaht larger and better designed 1/4 " thick annodized aluminum skid plate coming after the Christmas package rush is over thru the mail.

I have a trailer that will hold a few bikes or a smaller one that will hold 2.... and know how to access the Pacific Crest Trail up between Eagle Cliff and Carson Wa. if you would like to join up for some riding in the spring ( snowed in up there now ).

Let me know,
    Gene Carroll aka: excalibur
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

Welcome. Relax about the battery - you’ve got a kicker. And a runner for $1800. Even if you have to do some work or replace components, I think you’ll be happy. What trail bikes do your buds ride? Maybe don’t plan on running circles around them, but I’d be surprised if you can’t go wherever they do. Cheers.
    littletommy and BloodAngl like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)

Here's some pics to start:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the great list of action items! That'll be a tremendous help towards making me feel more trusting of the bike.

My buddies both have 250cc bikes, a Suzuki something and Honda CRF-L. I'll be the slowest of the group but we won't be racing. All three of us are new to trail riding and very excited to start our adventures! Are there sites for PNW trail MAPS anyone would recommend?
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodAngl View Post
    Here's some pics to start:
    That's a nice looking Rainbow Warrior!

That Rainbow Warrior looks to be in better shape than mine. I love the yellow rack!
    littletommy likes this.

It does look nice. The yellow rack adds to the "Rainbowness".

littletommy, JagLite and GCRAD1 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links