TW200 enduro mods?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: TW200 enduro mods?

TW200 enduro mods?

The past few years I haven't been driving as far and have been more interested in hard enduro style driving. Too many dependents, work, and not enough camping....

I plan to:
    - remove the racks
    - get a shinko sr241 front tire
    - smaller headlight
    - install handguards

And I'm considering a smaller front tire, longer forks, swing arm extender, smaller battery. These changes are more dramatic and pricey so I'm going to do more research and contemplation before I waste time and money on serious mods. I know it will never be a race level bike, but I'd like to ride more technical terrain. I've been looking all over youtube and most TW references to enduro are far from hard enduro and don't appear to be harder then any riding I've done.

Any big enduro riders? Thoughts?

Oh yeah and a smaller/lighter gas tank..

Edit...
    Anyone considering similar mods see https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ady-tw200.html
    and
    https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html#sumo-fender
    To get ya started
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 12-27-2017 at 07:06 PM.

This thread from TW196 discusses getting the TW200 qualified for AMA events. He probably would be a good person to start with. Cheers

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...?highlight=Ama
    littletommy, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Trail Woman you have us all running scared here. We don't know how to reply to this. Were not "big enduro riders". We putt putt on TW200s. Heck some of us probably don't even own a motorcycle. Oh crap I just bumped you back to the top.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I doubt I'll ever enter a race but I want to develop my riding skills. Looks like a good read though..thanks,

Ok I was just kidding above. I have been to Nova Scotia and it looks like Ontario. Are you just wanting to do tougher trails? Are there lots of open trails to ride there?

Mr.Gizmo at creek.jpgI purchased the Mr.Gizmo bike from forum member Gerry who equipped it with longer travel suspensions both front and rear that are significantly more compliant than stock. Not hard enduro rated but certainly much better at traversing the nasties at speed without spitting you off. Try-Z forks up front are set up for about 9 inches of travel and a blaster shock gives about 2 more inches of post-sag compression travel. Look for his build posts for inspiration at the affordable end of the spectrum..
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Fred ...that bike has a great stance with the added suspension below the axle.

PeterB....I haven't been to any open trails for bikes, just the one we groomed in our backwoods, forestry roads, and atv trails. A good variety of terrain and I'd like to set up some natural obstacles on our trail closer to home. Save the 30 min+ rides to get to somewhere challenging. I've been doing some difficult riding but it gets tiring quick.

I wouldn't go for a smaller fuel tank. Just run with less fuel and put the fuel foam in to stop it from sloshing around.
    The lack of ground clearance on the TW is what is going to hold you back on the trails that are rutted out or you have to do a tree crossing.
    An ATV tire goes along way in providing traction on the loose step trails and gearing the bike down will allow you to go almost any where.

It will never be a hard enduro machine.
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

My thinking with the tank is (merely consideration at this point) I can drive as far as I used to back in the forestry roads twice on one tank so a 1 gallon plastic tank would cut a lot of top weight. Like a TTR110 tank...Otherwise I can bring extra gas when needed or switch back to stock tank later if I need to.

I've managed rutting by picking my line carefully. And have cleared 2 foot+ high fallen trees as long as they're thick. But I have bent my brake lever on a stump so I can appreciate a little more height.

I know it's not a competition level machine but I think it can be an even more capable one then sock. The bucking and bottoming out suspension could use much improvement. Bar risers helped set my weight back on the seat for better shock response, but then I have to slide forward to get more front traction at times. Good thing it has a long seat. lol
    ejfranz, Tweaker and Ken like this.

I'm fairly new at riding dirt bikes but I think is a lot of fun pushing the limits of this little beast. If I wanted to do a little more aggressive riding and still have a little dual sport bike, the easiest thing would be to trade it for a XT250. More power, six gears, more travel and front/rear disc brakes.
    Badgerflorida, Ken and goldenhtr like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links