Front/Rear Tire Plus Sizing: What Sizes are NOT Too Big??
Close
††††
††††
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By WI Wood
  • 3 Post By Trail Woman
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By neckless
  • 3 Post By Fred

Thread: Front/Rear Tire Plus Sizing: What Sizes are NOT Too Big??

Front/Rear Tire Plus Sizing: What Sizes are NOT Too Big??

Iím interested in what bigger (wider, not taller) sized tires a person can fit on the STOCK fork tubes and wheels of the TW, both front and rear. I love the idea of ATV tires and have read the threads on that here, however, I donít want to push it to the point where Iím needing to cut rubber around the bead to get it to go on the wheel, or replacing the front end with that of a BW, or wreck the tire. So- without the risk of ruining the tire or the wheel in getting the tire to go on, and using the stock parts, and getting as close to you can without rubbing on anything, what is the biggest (meaning widest) SIZE and BRAND/MODEL of front and rear tire that will fit? Are there ATV tires that will work? What size? How about off road-oriented (but DOT approved) knobby motorcycle tires, what brands or sizes would work? Letís here it! I want to stud it up and run in the snow and on the lake!

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...need-know.html

The shinko sr244 5.10 is pretty wide on the front stock rim but hard rubber that' not so good in the cold.

I've been looking into something similar for rear tire and the terracross looks like one of the better choices for atv tires. I've rad about people installing them with no mods and possible less effort then the duro power grip or bighorn...though I doubt you can run a atv tire on a motorcycle and still have it DOT approved.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 12-27-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    admiral, UncleRandy and Peterb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WI Wood View Post
    Iím interested in what bigger (wider, not taller) sized tires a person can fit on the STOCK fork tubes and wheels of the TW, both front and rear. I love the idea of ATV tires and have read the threads on that here, however, I donít want to push it to the point where Iím needing to cut rubber around the bead to get it to go on the wheel, or replacing the front end with that of a BW, or wreck the tire. So- without the risk of ruining the tire or the wheel in getting the tire to go on, and using the stock parts, and getting as close to you can without rubbing on anything, what is the biggest (meaning widest) SIZE and BRAND/MODEL of front and rear tire that will fit? Are there ATV tires that will work? What size? How about off road-oriented (but DOT approved) knobby motorcycle tires, what brands or sizes would work? Letís here it! I want to stud it up and run in the snow and on the lake!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...need-know.html

The shinko sr244 5.10 is pretty wide on the front stock rim but hard rubber that' not so good in the cold.

I've been looking into something similar for rear tire and the terracross looks like one of the better choices for atv tires. I've rad about people installing them with no mods and possible less effort then the duro power grip or bighorn...though I doubt you can run a atv tire on a motorcycle and still have it DOT approved.

You can get a Maxxis Ceros mounted on the stock TW Rim without trimming the tire bead. It is still hard to get the bead to seat like the Duro at very high PSI 80-90 psi. Unfortunately, with the Ceros you can only get the 26x14x9 which is tall and wide. You have to have it set more rearward in the swing arm which takes up some of the available adjusting or extend your swing arm.

The better way to go is with the trailer wheel mod. It cost's more but once you have a TW rear hub converted or have a hub machined (both are available here on the forum) and buy/modify all the other stuff needed you are good to go. You have a better choice of what brand and size of ATV tire.

When it comes to DOT approval, some ATV tires are and some aren't. I don't worry about it here and it's never been an issue with the cop's but you'd have to be the judge.

Traction, however, is most excellent with an ATV rear tire.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

big heavy tire on front does change steering and driveablity ....
    Mattwings likes this.

You mean they tend to steer off to the side on some narrow trails?

mtn goat on cliff.jpg
    Mattwings, Ebbanflood and troll like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. ďMr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Iíld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links