Which atv tire should I choose?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So here are a few options I have been considering along with the sti black diamond. The vipr I had been considering would be too large at 27x9r14.

26x9r14

Maxxis Ceros - (Closer treads for street riding)http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...ros-Front.aspx $109.99 from rockymountainatvmc.com

Maxxis Bighorn - (Used by many already) http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/...ial-Front.aspx

STI Black Diamond - (1 1/8" lug depth) http://www.stitireandwheel.com/2011/06/black-diamond/

ITP Terracross - http://www.itptires.com/utilityatv/terracross.html

26x8r14

Duro Power Grip - http://www.durotire.com/ProductDetails.aspx $87.99 from rockymountainatvmc.com

**I am leaning towards either the duro power grip or the maxxis ceros. It looks like these two will need little to no modification and hold up well on the streets while still giving good performance on/off-road**

This is an image teewee placed in his ceros thread. TerraCross / Ceros / Duro / TW34 (stock) / Bighorn /Zilla

To be continued...
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

My vote. Stick with the stock back tire. On the east coast I can't see the need. I honestly don't think those atv ties are going to get you anywhere the stock tire won't, and if they do you probably shouldn't be there on a Tdub. :-)

With the trouble people have been having getting them on, I feel it's just a matter of time before someone looses a digit or worse. And for what? An extra inch of rubber? I know they look bad ass though.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Zilla.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

The newer Duro clearly isn't the same carcass that it useta be. Something has changed.

The Duro has ALWAYS been the most difficult and dangerous to mount.

Retrofit's recent experience would indicate that it might be time to eliminate it from the list.

Just my .02.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    My vote. Stick with the stock back tire. On the east coast I can't see the need. ...
    I agree. Unless you just like the looks.

I have a Cerros sitting in the garage, never tried to mount it. Drive over to Murphy, NC, and it's yours.

For the kind of riding I do (Forest Service roads), the stock tire is fine. When my original stock tire needed to be replaced, I decided to replace it with the same type of tire instead of the Cerros.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Hmmm... I have not had any problems with the stock rear(TW34) until I had to run it through some mud and wet clay and it would not grip at all. I would say that 95% of the time ot is a decent tire but those other 5, horrible. I know that there is no do-all tire but I thought that maybe the ceros would be a little better all around.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I know it's not really on topic for the thread and I know if a fellow is thinking about putting an ATV tire on the rear, on-road lean is probably not his highest concern, but I'm curious -- those that have the ATV rear tire, how does it lean in a curve/turn? Or at least how is it compared to the OEM tire?
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Handling is "different", depending on how squared off the tread face is.

Slower to lean, but quicker to turn as it climbs its edges due to the quick change in trail.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    My vote. Stick with the stock back tire. On the east coast I can't see the need. I honestly don't think those atv ties are going to get you anywhere the stock tire won't, and if they do you probably shouldn't be there on a Tdub. :-)

With the trouble people have been having getting them on, I feel it's just a matter of time before someone looses a digit or worse. And for what? An extra inch of rubber? I know they look bad ass though.

I have used many tires on many bike since 1959. I have concluded that the original stock tire is excellent for most terrain. If there is a problem with deep mud, I just avoid it. I am out for a ride not a race so I have time to pick and choose my route.

I actually picked up another stock rear tire for when I wear this one down. I don't think that will be any time soon.

I have changed my front tire to one with much more aggresive tread; it really sticks to the ground in the corners.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links