Reversed rear axle bolt.
Close

Today I decided to swap rear sprocket from my 44T that I use when riding back and forth to work, with the 50T I use for trail riding. I hate having to pull the axle bolt all the way out. The chain tension snails are specific to axle ends. I restamped with some metal stamp punches. I did notice that the cams are flatter on the side that was originally next to the swingarm. Any reason why this won't work?
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

This post makes no sense. Please clarify what you are asking.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Yeah, I can't make heads or tails out of it either.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If I made any sense of that, you're good to go. In light of the post below me, I retract that.

He wants to pull the axle/bolt out from the right, not the left; and put the axle nut on the sprocket side. That way he doesn't need to pull the axle/bolt all the way out to replace the sprocket. Since one of the snails is welded to the axle/bolt (whoops, they aren't welded...thinking of a different bike! sorry), it would need to be flipped if it was installed from the right instead of the left. The snail apparently isn't smooth on the tick-mark side. You could grind it off, flip it, and weld it back on (or use a replacement snail on a new bolt). I'd insure the bolt head sits flat against the snail and the snail flat against swingarm, though, and that may require knocking down the high points of the snail with a file.

But, even if you did all that, wouldn't the axle spacers still be in the way to prevent the sprocket from being removed? Aren't they nesting inside of the swingarm? Or can you finagle it enough to remove the spacere, then remove the sprocket?
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

On mine the snails are not welded and can easily be reversed. But then the numbers would be against the swingarm. It seems like it would take less time to just pop the wheel off and do it but to each his own.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Sorry for the confusion. It was OK for me, but then I wrote it.

The snail under the bolt head isn't welded on mine. The main axle diameter is larger than the threads for the nut. The edges seem more rounded and the face doesn't seem to be dead flat. Probably due to being a stamped part. If I'd have just reversed them the ear that you tap on to adjust chain tension would have ended up hanging down where they might hit on rocks, ect. and inadvertnetnly tighten the chain. I can now remove chain, axle nut, slide axle out a couple inches and slide brake side forward and remove spacer and sprocket.

Hope it's clear this time.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Had to think about that a minute...

I believe that the only problem with putting them on opposite sides would be you can't read the numbers. There'd be no risk with riding it.

My first reaction was why do the snails need to be swapped when you stick the axle through the other way? Do they have different size holes for the axle?

When I swapped sprockets I didn't look at the axle close enough to remember if it's diameter is stepped.

The next thing that comes to mind is... if the snails are different diameters, are the slots in the swing arm different?

Why does one side cost 84 cents more than the other at Bike Bandit?

Why am I trying to be rational before my first coffee?

I'll stop typing now.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

On my 2001 they are different sizes

Sponosred Links