TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Header Pipe

7K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Vishwa Kau 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It served you well. :D

#13 ·
Stainless 316 and above, can be used in cooling towers with anti-oxidant, and on exhaust systems, simply because it doesn’t corrode like mild steel – once corrosion sets in (on mild steel), it allows increased deterioration, leading to perforation

Exhaust gasses inherently have a high moisture content, which lends itself to corrosion in mild steel – “wrapping” the exhaust only serves to attack mild steel both from the outside, and the inside as well

Given that a minimum thickness of steel is advisable for weight issues, it comes as no surprise that the TW exhaust is particularly vulnerable

With stainless (316), the thickness is often less, resulting in more noise from the internal pipe itself (not from the end of the pipe)

A few years ago, I had a quote for a new exhaust system for my car, in mild steel as per the manufacturer – I found someone who could do the exhaust in stainless, for exactly the same price. The difference was in how long it would last for, and in the case of mild steel it was around 40k miles, whereas in the stainless example, it came with a lifetime guarantee – no contest

What I can’t get my head around, is why on earth anyone would want to “wrap” their exhaust in the first place, except to possibly make it look like it needs a bandage because there was something wrong with it to begin with ……

#19 ·
pretty sure all xt225 headers are stainless.

i've had one on mine for 5+ years now and it still looks great, no signs of rust.

#22 ·
If the repair paste is what I think it is the it may have a tendency to get brittle and spall off with time and vibration. If so adding some tensile strength via a homemade composite structure of the paste bedded in a fiberglass wrap might be more lasting. Visit any shop doing fiberglass work and try to beg or buy a meter of selvage tape ( ~10cm wide fiberglass cloth with hemmed edges).
I have had good luck with laminates of hi temperature RTV silicone and selvage tape to seal up rusty mufflers after similar commercial brittle pastes fail, crumble and fall off.
Good luck with the existing repair, not criticizing, just offering an alternative should first repair not hold up.

#26 ·
Nice and quite head pipe repair. Looks good too.
Now we can hear those valves very well. :p Funny how some videos can make the valve seem louder or quieter than in real life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.