Cheap Hand guards...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Cheap Hand guards...

Cheap Hand guards...

So I couldn't bring myself to pay the prices d-flex or acerbis ask for theirs and I gambled on some no name knock offs. My friends have had luck and no issues with them so I thought I take a gamble on some. Mostly happy with them and all appears to be well made except one somewhat important detail..
    1ddd5464e6d6cc266f20431079511f27--dual-sport-motorcycles-hands.jpg

The bar end inserts have thin rubber tubes, and the metal is too soft to provide any pressure against the bar aside from where the nut is. The nut bottoms out at the base of the slot and leaves the inserts sloppy, loose, and easy to pull out. Aside from this they fit great with no modification aside from snipping the stock zip ties.

The only options I'm aware of are
    1 - find a thicker rubber tubing
    2- order a new insert assembly
    3- spend more money then I want an buy the expensive brand name ones.

Right now I'm between the first two options...any suggestions?

Otherwise just wanted to share my experience....if this is helpful at all I won't mind if you "like it" lol.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 01-13-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    TW-Brian, LuvNot, Ken and 3 others like this.

I had these same cheap knock off hand guards on my BW200.

Use some automotive fuel line instead of the original rubber & switch up to bigger bolts/nuts if needed. This should allow it to compress properly and get some good grip.

You may need to grind the nut shoulders down smooth to make it able to fit inside the handle bar ... and aftermarket aluminum bars may need to be drilled deeper to give room for the hardware.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Trail Woman, Ken, Lyterx and 5 others like this.

Thanks

That's reassuring to hear. I considered some fuel line but I haven't got anything on hand the right size..I guess I have take the insert to some shops and see what I can find.

Funny thing is the ebay listing says "Indexed steel bar-end insert mounts solid and will not allow guard to rotate in a crash"..not so much. I asked them to remove that line from their listing.

If the metal was harder it might not get bent back so easy by the inner wall of the tube...maybe a longer nut would give more surface area....if I can get one rigged up to pin in the sleeve slot and draw up the bold.

If ya want it done right you either got to do it yourself or pay a lot of money...
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 01-13-2018 at 07:19 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Heli-Mech View Post

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    I like that!
    1991 TW200

Hey neighbour. Those appear to be the same ones I helped a friend put on her little CRF150. They come with the spreader piece, and a piece of plastic tubing to fill in the space for our 7/8" bars?
    If so, electrical tape is what I used... Snug up the tapered nut, slide the piece of tubing over it, then wrap the length of the tubing with electrical tape until it just fits inside the bars. Taking up all that space first lets it start gripping as soon as it starts to tighten. Not the optimal set-up, but it works and they ended up being nice and solid.
    If you want an awesome set of cheap guards, have a look here:
    Handguards...Saved my $$ and my balls. - www.DRRiders.com
    You should be able to see details, and the seller in my thread there.

Am I allowed to link to an eBay ad? If not, please let me know and I'll remove the link.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorful-Br...Q7imi7mTl8s1Yw

They look like they have a thin piece of aluminum in the pictures but it's thick and it's strong, but soft enough to be able to bend for fitment without it cracking. And the large wind deflectors are strong, and block a pile of wind off your hands on chilly days.

Skinwalker initially posted a link to them as part of his build thread. I bought a set, they were awesome. I faceplanted going down a washout and it went down hard enough to bend the bars..the left handguard took all the force and held up fine except from a big scratch on the plastic.
    I sold the TW, and bought a DR650..everybody pays big money for the big name guards for the DR because the long levers won't clear most of the cheaper guards. I took a chance and ordered another pair from the same seller, and after installing 2 washers as shims, they fit perfectly.

They have solid clamps. I tend to go 'gorilla tight', and never stripped a fastener on them, even after my crash and removing them and swapping over to my new ATV-hi bars. The spreader has a slotted aluminum tube that slides over it rather than rubber, and the spreader bolts are good quality and have an allen head rather than phillips like some of the cheap ones. Like any multi-fit guard, they require a bit of bending to get everything linking up perfectly, but it's not hard. With the tube for 7/8" bars they're still a tiny bit loose (as are any) so I put a few wraps of electrical tape to take up that slack (out at the solid end of the spacer tube) and they were SOLID...repeated the same process with the set I put on the DR650, just as solid. For the price, they cannot be beat.

<Edit> And I still have a box of TW parts that nobody snatched up. If you're up this way and want to give them a new home, I won't even charge you the case of beer mentioned in the original post. https://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-cl...nb-canada.html

2 Pics

Attachment 150922

Guards2.jpg
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 01-14-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    Ken, admiral, littletommy and 2 others like this.

Nice and timely endorsement Fishguy as I just ordered a set of Skinwalker's recommended hand guards last night for my second TW.
    Bike came equipped with cheap hand guards like those in the first post only they were entirely plastic without the aluminum core. One broke when bike fell over in the garage. I repaired the fracture but never trusted the repair.
    Other bike had installed a set identical to post #1 and the aluminum core broke first time bike fell over as well as breaking the clutch lever. This was not fun as it occurred deep in a technical Moab trail where use of the clutch was desirable.
    So lesson I learned was the replacement D-flex are significantly better for the rough and tumble trails I sometimes get into.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I also have the D-Flex and depending on style seem to hover just below or over $50.00 for a complete kit. I felt that was pretty cheap compared to a lot others for the build and quality.
    Bike has taken one really hard fall on pavement with full-force directly on the right side hand guard. Other than some rough scratches to the plastic, the guard itself did not move, bend or break. Your hand will appreciate that.
    There are much better and more expensive one out there but for $50 bucks that's exactly what I paid for.
    They are also very easy to install on a TW.

Are the BWs street legal or can they be made street legal in either US or Canada? Pretty sure I’ll never find one, but dang they are cool. Are those the stock rims? Cheers and great thread
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Are the BWs street legal or can they be made street legal in either US or Canada? Pretty sure I’ll never find one, but dang they are cool. Are those the stock rims? Cheers and great thread
    The BW was a trail only bike .... depending on your state/province you might be able to get it on the road and legal .... but DOT approved tire options might not exist.

Everything on mine was stock except for the exhaust system/pegs and bars. They are great bikes and my BW project was what led me to the TW project I have on the go now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    So I couldn't bring myself to pay the prices d-flex or acerbis ask for theirs and I gambled on some no name knock offs. My friends have had luck and no issues with them so I thought I take a gamble on some. Mostly happy with them and all appears to be well made except one somewhat important detail..
    1ddd5464e6d6cc266f20431079511f27--dual-sport-motorcycles-hands.jpg

The bar end inserts have thin rubber tubes, and the metal is too soft to provide any pressure against the bar aside from where the nut is. The nut bottoms out at the base of the slot and leaves the inserts sloppy, loose, and easy to pull out. Aside from this they fit great with no modification aside from snipping the stock zip ties.

The only options I'm aware of are
    1 - find a thicker rubber tubing
    2- order a new insert assembly
    3- spend more money then I want an buy the expensive brand name ones.

Right now I'm between the first two options...any suggestions?

Otherwise just wanted to share my experience....if this is helpful at all I won't mind if you "like it" lol.
    I have cheap set like that on my tw with limited success. I still break a lever as the guards rotate in a tip over on rough terrain. I have a honda xr as well and those i use the aluminum ones as the protection is way more than the other ones.
    Trail Woman, Fred and Ken like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links