Compression Release on a TW 200
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By elime
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By littletommy

Thread: Compression Release on a TW 200

Compression Release on a TW 200

One of the spare heads I have has a valve cover with a compression release gizmo on it. Today was the day I figured I would install it and see how it worked.

P7070042 (4).JPG

After I buttoned it all up and gave it a kick I realized the exhaust valve was open to much. There was no compression. So I changed it to the off position and there was still no compression. The exhaust valve was open all the time. Something was wrong.

I took the valve cover off and held it next to the head I took it from. All seemed OK.

P7080049.JPGP7080047.JPG

When the valve cover is on the end of the rocker arm goes in the flat notch on the shaft. With the shaft in this position the exhaust valve is closed all the way. Turn the shaft and the rocker arm is prevented from closing all the way. The exhaust valve is held open a teeny tiny bit. That is NOT what was happening on my TW.

I compared the end of the rocker arm on the spare head and the rocker arm on my TW. The end of the rocker arm on the spare head has been milled down to about half thickness. The one on the TW has no milling. Clearly this was the problem and the reason the exhaust valve was held open no matter what I did with the compression release.

P7080054.JPGP7080049a.jpg

Conclusion is unless the head came with a compression release the rocker arm will have to be fitted to the compression release shaft, or maybe swap the rocker arms but I don't like that idea -- the belief is that it is bad for the camshaft to swap rocker arms.
    littletommy and Cornelis like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Too bad your experiment did not work out.
    As a novice I enjoyed the compression release I had fitted to my first motorcycle's second spark plug hole, really helped on descending long steep hills. I used it more as a Jake brake rather than as a starting assist device.That Montessa 250 had tall gearing and grabby breaks so was a handfull for me before I knew much.
    littletommy and Cornelis like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Certainly a worthy experiment anyway. I've wondered about this and now I know. Thanks Tony.
    Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    One of the spare heads I have has a valve cover with a compression release gizmo on it. Today was the day I figured I would install it and see how it worked.

P7070042 (4).JPG

After I buttoned it all up and gave it a kick I realized the exhaust valve was open to much. There was no compression. So I changed it to the off position and there was still no compression. The exhaust valve was open all the time. Something was wrong.

I took the valve cover off and held it next to the head I took it from. All seemed OK.

P7080049.JPGP7080047.JPG

When the valve cover is on the end of the rocker arm goes in the flat notch on the shaft. With the shaft in this position the exhaust valve is closed all the way. Turn the shaft and the rocker arm is prevented from closing all the way. The exhaust valve is held open a teeny tiny bit. That is NOT what was happening on my TW.

I compared the end of the rocker arm on the spare head and the rocker arm on my TW. The end of the rocker arm on the spare head has been milled down to about half thickness. The one on the TW has no milling. Clearly this was the problem and the reason the exhaust valve was held open no matter what I did with the compression release.

P7080054.JPGP7080049a.jpg

Conclusion is unless the head came with a compression release the rocker arm will have to be fitted to the compression release shaft, or maybe swap the rocker arms but I don't like that idea -- the belief is that it is bad for the camshaft to swap rocker arms.
    Cornelis likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sponosred Links