Whatja using for a trunk?
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Whatja using for a trunk?

The used scooter trunk a friend gave me was a bargain - free, but... the cheap Chinese construction was no match for the vibration of trail riding and the bottom of the trunk is all cracked out now and it's about to fall apart all together.

I like the design though and the truck fits nicely on my Cycle Rack, has plenty of storage, and I like the fact it locks. I've considered this JC Whitney model as a replacement -

JC Whitney Trunk

... but wonder if the plastic will be any better? The hard brittle plastic just doesn't take to the vibration. I've though about the ActionPacker some folks are using, but I think it's really way too big for what I want. (Too bad they don't have a smaller version). The kind of plastic the ActionPackers are made of is much different and can handle a beating.

I want a "top box style", I'm not a fan of the panniers some people are using as that's overkill for what I want - don't plan any expeditions soon. I have also seen a few folks using Pelican cases - that might be an idea, though they are kinda spendy.

Any other good solutions? Whatdya using?? - Thanks...!

I fabbed some brackets & bolted on a RubberMaid Action Packer.

Held up nice through the winter. Really thick & sturdy plastic.

Some people have had problems with the latches getting loose after a lot of use.

With a bungie cord across the top it's not a problem for me yet.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I used a Halliburton camera case / attache / tool case. Aluminum, waterproof, lockable, and fairly resistant to damage. I found mine at a yard sale and mounted it with u-bolts to my stock rack with a bit of foam between the rack and case to reduce abrasion and vibration. Its been in place a couple of years without incident. I have second one and have considered moving it to the saddlebag position (ala BMW style), but doubt that it will happen. I do find that a heavy piece of carpet inside reduced vibrations for stuff carried.

Alternatively, when I needed more space for a camping trip, I mounted a airport roller bag (using the frame on the handle-side of the bag as the attachment point to the rack and fortified the inside of the bag with a thin sheet of plywood. If you depended on the rivets through the canvas/cardboard inner liner your stuff would end up on the ground.

The roller bag worked well by increasing space available without increasing either weight or threats to my spinal integrity. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My linkhttp://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Sport-Tail-Bag-p-148_31.html

not a trunk, but i have and love this cortech sport tail bag. the sides zip out and it expands. i can haul plenty in it.

Wheelie Nelson,

Now that looks like a pretty neat trunk bag. Maybe not as large as some would like, but it has the advantage of being quickly detachable and can carry it with you. Has a few color choices as well. I like it! Thanks for posting this one. Its going into my favorites folder on my email account.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Action Packer mounted with u-bolts to a Cyclerack

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Wheelie Nelson,

Now that looks like a pretty neat trunk bag. Maybe not as large as some would like, but it has the advantage of being quickly detachable and can carry it with you. Has a few color choices as well. I like it! Thanks for posting this one. Its going into my favorites folder on my email account.

i'll take some pictures of it expanded and post them tomorrow.

Given that I am a Thrift store shopper, I can come up with some odd stuff. Here is my 'trunk' it is a DeWalt multi-set case. Likely, a drill and flashlite combo. I had to cut out the molded inset and reinforce the rim with an aluminium strip. I would bet against it being water-tight but it meets my needs nicely and can be padlocked (low security).

$3.00 plus a bit of cutting with the Dremel. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Given that I am a Thrift store shopper, I can come up with some odd stuff. Here is my 'trunk' it is a DeWalt multi-set case. Likely, a drill and flashlite combo. I had to cut out the molded inset and reinforce the rim with an aluminium strip. I would bet against it being water-tight but it meets my needs nicely and can be padlocked (low security).

$3.00 plus a bit of cutting with the Dremel. Gerry

And true to form, what's in that case but... more gizmos! Looks like maybe a CB radio? Just curious...maybe you could post a full list of the gizmos and gadgets you've put on your TW? I'm sure it would be quite impressive.

I carry so much stuff, I have turned a 252lb bike into to a "much harder to lift" 310lb (I guess) Trail Snail. It is hard to remember what I have, and then I need to figure out where I packed it. However, if you were trailside with problems, I would be the guy you hoped happens by.

My trunk now has a 2 meter ham radio that can punch out 35 watts should it be needed (and if the engine is running). I also have a 3 watt cell phone amp. The extra power carries a call much further to hit a tower, but seldom use it anymore because the Spot is even more reliable.

The cover has forest service maps, a two foot foldable straight edge for transfering GPS numbers onto a map. A 6" ruler with zillions of holes so I can index my map for plotting. Magnifing glasses so I can see the map, a mechanical pencil, and a couple of led lights so I can find my maps in the dark.

The bottom has (in addition to the electronics) a folding poop shovel, binoculars, first-aid kit, a small Sham-Wow towel, a 911 cell phone that is not set up for any service, but can always be used in an emergency (by law). Extra AA batteries for my other devices. Lots of small stuff like extra zip ties, fuses, 10" section of fuel line, and likely other things I have forgotten. Gerry
    Fred likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links