If $ were no object: upgrades? Why?
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: If $ were no object: upgrades? Why?

Hello everyone! New to posting on this forum but, have monitored it for a long while. I finally pulled the trigger on a new 2018 TW today and figured it was time to actually participate😜. So after reading an exhausting amount about tires, exhaust and jetting, spings, etc. I thought I’d throw out the following question: If money were no object what upgrades would you do to your TW and why? I really want to do the atv tire rear but am overwhelmed by the information on here and unsure which one will bead without sanding etc. BTW I have the pro taper handlebars ordered already and am considering which footpegs and shifter to get. Anyway, looking forward to participating in the forum and possibly meeting up this year with some WA riders( I’m in Oroville).

Welcome to the forum!!
    BearScat and fj62chy like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Seat Concepts foam and gripper cover. If I could only keep one thing, this would be it. LED headlight next.
    littletommy likes this.
    1991 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Lyterx View Post
    Seat Concepts foam and gripper cover. If I could only keep one thing, this would be it. LED headlight next.
    That’s interesting, hadn’t considered the seat. Thanks for the tip. LED headlight for cosmetics or function? Any particular light you like best?

littletommy likes this.

Welcome BearScat, good question!

As someone who has made nearly all of the mods known to this forum, here is my perspective on this subject. The TW really is a pretty simple bike to work on, except for the electrical stuff and carbs (neither of which I understand). Everything else just requires some mechanical ability, some basic tools (plus the ability to acquire more, as needed), and a willingness to tackle tasks that you may have never done before. The good thing is there is plenty of good information on this forum for doing just about everything you can to a TW. The bad thing is there is so much information here (along with some misinformation, many thread hijacks, and some inside jokes that probably makes no sense to most readers) that it makes it difficult to wade through it all. Don't hesitate to ask questions but please make at least some effort to do some searching on your own first (some of us oldtimers get a little weary of new members asking questions that have already been asked and answered many times over).

Most of the popular mods can be made without spending big bucks. One of the best things about the TW is that there have been very few significant changes over its 30+ year history. This means that it is relatively easy and inexpensive to find used parts, rather than buying new (although there don't seem to the bargains out there like there were a few years ago). Craigslist is your friend.

One of the first, and best, mods that I made was to install a kickstarter. This requires removal of the right hand engine cover, removal of the clutch, installation of the internal kicker parts, followed by replacement of the clutch, side cover gasket, and side cover. This was intimidating to me the first time, but after you have done it once, you are now an expert. Many TW mods are like this - they may seem intimidating at first, but most are not that difficult.

Which mods you want to make will depend upon how you intend to use your bike. Admittedly, my bike was a bit of a garage queen for the first year or so that I had it. It wasn't until I joined in on a couple of group rides, dumped it more than a few times, and got a few scratches (on both me and the bike), that I really started to appreciate the TW's capabilities and also met a lot of new friends. This led me to hosting a number of Wrench & Rides, which led to more mods on my bikes, and helping others with their mods on their bikes. This resulted in ATV tires, extended swingarms, oil coolers, trailer wheels, way too many sprockets, Clarke tanks, TW226 6-speeds, etc., etc., etc.

I hope this helps and welcome to the addiction,

Brian
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 01-27-2018 at 11:43 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Welcome BearScat, good question?

As someone who has made nearly all of the mods known to this forum, here is my perspective on this subject. The TW really is a pretty simple bike to work on, except for the electrical stuff and carbs (neither of which I understand). Everything else just requires some mechanical ability, some basic tools (plus the ability to acquire more, as needed), and a willingness to tackle tasks that you may have never done before. The good thing is there is plenty of good information on this forum for doing just about everything you can to a TW. The bad thing is there is so much information here (along with some misinformation, many thread hijacks, and some inside jokes that probably makes no sense to most readers) that it makes it difficult to wade through it all. Don't hesitate to ask questions but please make at least some effort to do some searching on your own first (some of us oldtimers get a little weary of new members asking questions that have already been asked and answered many times over).

Most of the popular mods can be made without spending big bucks. One of the best things about the TW is that there have been very few significant changes over its 30+ year history. This means that it is relatively easy and inexpensive to find used parts, rather than buying new (although there don't seem to the bargains out there like there were a few years ago). Craigslist is your friend.

One of the first, and best, mods that I made was to install a kickstarter. This requires removal of the right hand engine cover, removal of the clutch, installation of the internal kicker parts, followed by replacement of the clutch, side cover gasket, and side cover. This was intimidating to me the first time, but after you have done it once, you are now an expert. Many TW mods are like this - they may seem intimidating at first, but most are not that difficult.

Which mods you want to make will depend upon how you intend to use your bike. Admittedly, my bike was a bit of a garage queen for the first year or so that I had it. It wasn't until I joined in on a couple of group rides, dumped it more than a few times, and got a few scratches (on both me and the bike), that I really started to appreciate the TW's capabilities and also met a lot of new friends. This led me to hosting a number of Wrench & Rides, which led to more mods on my bikes, and helping others with their mods on their bikes. This resulted in ATV tires, extended swingarms, oil coolers, trailer wheels, way too many sprockets, Clarke tanks, TW226 6-speeds, etc., etc., etc.

I hope this helps and welcome to the addiction,

Brian
    Thanks Brian, I was leery of asking the question for just those reasons but like you eluded to, this forum is somewhat like google. .03 seconds and 40,000 hits lol. Not only that but a lot of them are old posts. I was hoping for some 2017/18 answers. Trust me, for the past week I have logged many hours reading through the posts on here and often am still left scratching my head. Perhaps I’m just old and slow.

I love the kickstarter idea and was mad that they don’t offer it. When looking through here, the last I remember reading was that there isn’t a package setup for it but rather having to piece them together....is that still the case? Or did I misread something? I am anything but lazy and rely a lot on research however being new to TW’s and dirt bikes in general, I am overwhelmed/ intimidated to try and piece mill things or “shave” tires to make them fit. Especially on a brand new bike.

The other thing to note is “if money were no object” a lot of what I read is “I like it because its cheap” or “carry extra fuel in coke bottles or dish soap bottles because they’re free”...all great tips but, if you could afford anything, what upgrades would you do...and yes I believe you’d still be riding the TW because it is a blast!

I look forward to getting better aquatinted with everyone and hopefully will someday also be a knowledgeable voice on the forum for “noobs”.

Last edited by BearScat; 01-28-2018 at 12:50 AM.

TCI Skid Plate if you can find it. Black Jimbo windscreen (looks good and visibility is not a prob), USB port mounted on the handle bars, RAM mount on the handle bars (get the large size to hold an big phone and load the Gaia app [$20] on it for cheap satellite navigation), Shinko 141 front tire, lithium ion battery upgrade, seat concepts, cushy hand grips, handle bar brush guards, LED headlight, mini turn signals, LED brake light, handle bar brush guards, over sized foot pegs, IMS shifter lever, Wolfman small tank bag, two medium Rollie bags, two sets of the shortest Rok straps, Wolfman bottle holsters, 1 liter fuel bottles, happy trails light duty rack, o-ring chain, Allen bolt replacement kit (ebay), aux LED lights and mounts, kick starter kit.

Now I see where all my money and time have gone. I feel like I’m forgetting something, but I’ll probably remember right after I hit POST QUICK REPLY.

A lot of these things are available here:
    https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html

Wow! Thanks Rockit, this is what I’m talking about. Now I’m gonna have to set up a “gofundme” account because my money isn’t unlimited lol.

Last edited by BearScat; 01-28-2018 at 02:08 AM.

hey ursine feces,

love the name!

tw brian is one of the best guys around and is modest with his knowledge and skills. he does have, or has tried, just about every mod on his collection of bikes. a few of my first mods included a new front tire (for off road the front tire is universally despised), bigger foot pegs, and a bigger tank.

check out my signature for a few threads that show a bunch of mods and ideas to lighten your wallet.

ride on!

joe band
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links