TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Shinko 241 vs 244 ....

44K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  Till Death Dual Us Sport™ 
#1 ·
Shinko 241 vs 244

I understand the basic difference, which is primarily weight – slight compound change etc – but if you had a bike with the 244 fitted, is it worth changing for the 241 ?

My rider weight is 180, with all the gear – does rider weight even come into this – is it a matter of preference – or trail conditions – riding style – or even height (6ft) – so many variables

To those of you who have changed one for the other – why – and what are your experiences of both tires ?

I suspect this has been covered before – but perhaps it time to “update” the discussion

Any and all comments welcome ……

#2 ·
Well I have a the larger of the two sizes of 244 now and find when it's close to or below freezing I loose traction due to the hard rubber compound. Otherwise it is a great tire in most conditions. Now the 241 has such a softer rubber that I think it will perform better in colder weather. The tread pattern looks like it will grip even better since the lug to space ratio is 50/50. Plus the slits in the lugs make then extra flexible. I plan to put it on next weekend if all goes well but I'm not sure if I want to brave the cold/snow/ice out and there. I plan to stud the stock tire for real winter driving eventually.

#4 ·
Trials tire all the way, even in sand. I have only had the golden boy and for my riding style (aggressive), I could not get that tire to stick. Now the MT43 (trials), I have had no issues with. Mud, snow, sand, rocks, loom, roots (wet and dry) this item does it all!

#6 ·
244 vs. 241

Used both. Equal on the road except 244 sounded louder.

Off-Road. 244, used both 4.60 & 5.10. Like the 4.60 better but honestly pretty close and I never noticed the weight difference...in the tires...me is a different matter.

Off-road 241. Currently using 241 on both TW's. Love it in all conditions off-road. I think it's better than the 244 in/on gravel, hardpack dirt, sand, rock, mud, snow, moon dust (aka baby powder) but all tires suck in this stuff anyway.

I'd still buy another 244 but prefer the 241.

#13 ·
That’s funny Brian...thanks for my first laugh of the morning. :D. I’ve beat the 244 horse to death. I’m with Dryden... “ if I see one more thread on front tires I’m going to scream”.
This forum has lost a lots of it appeal since we can’t beat each other up over politics.
How’s that?

Go Trump

#9 · (Edited)
Shinko 241 vs 244

I understand the basic difference, which is primarily weight — slight compound change etc — but if you had a bike with the 244 fitted, is it worth changing for the 241 ?

My rider weight is 180, with all the gear — does rider weight even come into this — is it a matter of preference — or trail conditions — riding style — or even height (6ft) — so many variables

To those of you who have changed one for the other — why — and what are your experiences of both tires ?

I suspect this has been covered before — but perhaps it time to “update” the discussion

I went with the 241 4.0 tire last summer. all I can say is WOW so much more fun to ride now. Did not know what I was missing waiting so long. My Maxxis 6006 was totally gone and needed changed out in a bad way. So glad I went with the 241.

ps: wife's bike has the 244 on it and my son has the kenda, (same tire) 241 is much better. I may be changing hers this summer. Son is still considering selling his bike.

#11 · (Edited)
Which Is the Safer, OFF-Road Front Tire--Wider or Narrower?

I went with the 241 4.0 tire last summer. all I can say is WOW so much more fun to ride now. Did not know what I was missing waiting so long. My Maxxis 6006 was totally gone and needed changed out in a bad way. So glad I went with the 241.

ps: wife's bike has the 244 on it and my son has the kenda, (same tire) 241 is much better. I may be changing hers this summer. Son is still considering selling his bike.
goldenhtr,

When you say "I went with the 241 4.0 tire last summer..." are you actually referring to a 4" wide front tire?

If so, can you (and others) explain why some members prefer narrower, 4.60" and (now, apparently) a 4.0"-wide front tire, when the TW200 comes with a 5.10" wide front tire?

And I should explain that, while "fun" for an experienced, solo rider like yourself is awesome, my tire-choice priorities are driven by the best width/brand/model for the SAFEST, TWO-UP, OFF-road riding. (My 60 y.o. wife has been through a rough, four years of illnesses and injuries, and we just want to ride "Low and Slow," and try to get some normalcy back in our lives.)

I'm 160+lbs, wife is 120lbs.

So GENTLE, TWO-UP, OFF-ROAD, "NYS-woodsy," SAFETY FIRST riding are my priorities in choosing the best front tire.

Opinions on the best WIDTH, for TWO-UP, OFF-road riding, in NYS's mix of muddy/grassy tractor-roads through hay fields, some gravel roads, a gravel quarry, (rare) beach sand, corn fields and logging roads, would be most appreciated!

Lastly, which is preferred, the 241 vs. the 244, for TWO-UP riding in the NYS-style, off-road conditions described above?

Thanks, much!

TS185

#17 ·
Jeez, thanks Purple :) Just when I'd spent hours combing thru all the tire threads and decided on the 241!
It’s always good to do your own research to narrow down the best choices available according to your riding area — otherwise you don’t know what’s out there to choose from in the first place

My reasons for asking this “specific” question, is because I have a bike wearing a 244, but I had heard of many on here switching to the 241. Opinions change over time, and as such, we have drifted from the 244 to the 241

The “front tire choices” thread that has been running since 2012, does an excellent job — but perhaps it doesn’t address directly the comparison of the 244 / 241 — so I had hoped to condense that comparison into one thread — and by your responses, it seems to be succeeding

This board serves as an information resource, but only if we continue to ask questions, and update the answers as necessary …… ;)

#12 · (Edited)
TS185,

A 4.00x18 is the only 18" size Shinko SR241 available for our TW's. Without getting into all the size charts, the SR241 is very close to the same width of the stock tire.

An option which many TW riders used instead of the stock tire and before the SR241 was discovered by forum members was the Shinko SR244. This tire came in two sizes, 5.10x18 and 4.60x18 which fit our TW's. Reasons vary to width and weight differences between the two sizes as to which one to buy. Some people were wary and scared away from what was proposed as a heavier front tire and slower turning response and migrated to the 4.60. Some could not tell the difference and some could but everyone agreed that this tire in either size was better than the stock tire. Then came the SR241.
(I should note that a Kenda 270 has a very similar tread pattern to the SR244 but most went with the SR244 because it cost less-we're cheap).

I would suggest you get a SR241 but by your riding description, you'd be just fine with the SR244. However, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, you'll also find the SR244 will be noisier than the SR241 on pavement, especially when wear patters develop. And by louder I mean it has a loud high pitch whine. Additionally, if you were to choose the SR244, you'd be fine with either size.

P.S. I wish and hope to weigh less than you & your wife put together someday soon. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
TS185,

A 4.00x18 is the only available 18" size Shinko SR241 available for our TW's. Without getting into all the size charts, the SR241 is very close to the same width of the stock tire.

An option which many TW riders used instead of the stock tire and before the SR241 was discovered by forum members was the Shinko SR244. This tire came in two sizes, 5.10x18 and 4.60x18 to fit our TW's. Reasons vary to width and weight of this tire between the two sizes as to which one to buy. Some people were wary and scared away from what was proposed as a heavier front tire and slower turning response and migrated to the 4.60. Some could not tell the difference and some could not but everyone agreed that this tire in either size was better than the stock tire. Then came the SR241.
(I should note that a Kenda 270 has a very similar tread pattern to the SR244 but most went with the SR244 because it cost less-we're cheap).

I would suggest you get a SR241 but by your riding description, you'd be just fine with the SR244. However, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, you'll also find the SR244 will be noisier than the SR241 on pavement, especially when wear patters develop. Additionally, if you were to choose the SR244, you'd be fine with either size.

P.S. I wish and hope to weigh less than you & your wife put together someday soon.
:rolleyes:
admiral,

Wow--thank you for your excellent "Cliff Notes" review of what looked to be a ton of tire reading before me!

And thanks for the SR241 recommendation--I was kind of leaning that way from what I'd read so far, but I'm a noob, so the more info, the better. :D

I do have a question--when you say this...

"Without getting into all the size charts, the SR241 is very close to the same width of the stock tire."

...does that mean that the SR241 is almost the same width as the stock, 5.10"-wide front tire?

I (think I) want a wider tire, for off-road stability's sake, so do you know if the SR241 is actually a little wider, or a little narrower, than the stock "Death Wing"'s 5.10" width?

And because I'm OCD, would you be able to "ballpark" the difference, in inches, for us metrically-challenged, '70's-children?

And re: the weight-thing?
I truly appreciate your sharing, as I was afraid someone was going to tell me that our combined 300lbs. (with boots/gear, etc...) might be too much for safe, SLOW off-roading.

Re: Rubber-"Softness": the SR241 vs the SR244:

I thought I read the SR241 is made of a softer compound. If so, this too, appeals to me, as when riding solo, I'd like to do a little "rock crawling" (we have some shale--I'm hoping to find some more solid rock to ride on) and the softer compound would be a plus, there.

Re: Mud-Clearing Ability Between the SR241 vs SR244:
I thought I read the SR241's lugs are closer together, and they could "turn into a slick" sooner than the SR244. IF I've got that right, is that only re: clay and/or "river-muck," or does that refer to general "field-mud," say from the tractor-paths around a corn field? Because it sounds like it's not considered a big deal, based on your recommendation of the SR241.

Re: the Kenda 270 option:
I'm part Scottish, so "cheap" is in my DNA. :p. (My father grew up in The Great Depression--he's 93 soon, and a WWII vet, but I think I'm now "tighter" than he is! LOL)
That said, IS the Kenda 270 better, in any way? Because I don't mind spending the extra dollars, if there's any perceivable safety increases to be had, OFF-road, with the Kenda 270, given that I'll have my wife on board. (I won't be taking her with me, IF I venture out onto pavement, unless I wake up as John Surtees, some day--May he R.I.P.)

FULL-DISCLOSURE re: the "Weight-thing":
Not so long ago, I weighed 185 (like my screen name--HA!), and only recently dropped down to the low 160's. TBH, I do fluctuate up to 170, but that's better than a couple of months ago, when it was up to 175+. Being injured, myself, I'm not able to exercise, so (other than cutting down on the Peanut M&M's) I don't know how I lost it, other than depression, which I don't recommend. But I do think a T-Dub will help with depression! :D

My point is:
I have every confidence you will attain your goal, soon, and we're wishing you, and all the Members, a Happy, HEALTHY, Peaceful, Prosperous and SAFE New Year!

Reactions: jbfla
#14 ·
Is there a difference in aspect ratio and does that make a difference. The reason that I ask is that I just recently put a Pirelli MT-43 on the font of my TW. The difference over the stock tire was significant enough to require re-adjusting the mirrors. I think it raised the bars by a full inch. This was a bonus for me since I already have the Powermadd risers and would still like the bars a little higher. It might not be a bonus for someone looking to lower the TW. Raising the bars one inch obviously does not raise the seat a full inch but does make a slight difference, enough for anyone to care, I'm not sure.

#15 ·
Hey, I want to join in with a question about the 244 vs the 241...
Does one have a stiffer sidewall than the other? I use Ride On in my tires, but just in case it doesn't perform as touted, I'd like the peace of mind of having a heavy ply to provide some stiffness in case of a flat.

I know the original deathwing was floppy when I took it off, and for a short period of time I've mistakenly run the 244 on pavement with a "0" registering on my digital air gauge when I checked it.

#16 ·
This is my testimony not under oath. The 244 sidewalls may be stiff enough but after a mile or two running flat it may break the bead. So, I wouldn't count on sidewall thinkness to keep you going down the trail when the SR244 is gasping for air! I wouldn't count on the SR241 being any better in this situation.
This was taken this past fall. If we (me and ejfranz) collectively would have all the tools with us, I wouldn't have had to ride his TW 30 miles and drive my jeep & trailer (w/his TW :) 30 miles back to pick up my out of breath TW. This may prompt the blah blah blah ride-on crowd to pipe up and inject there seriousness of the product but if you don't have it, you don't have it and that was that. It could have been much worse. We could have had to ride two-up to get the jeep & trailer...er I mean I could have had to walk to get it.:p

#21 ·
Just yesterday, I received a Shinko 241 4.00 x 18 to replace my Shinko 244 5.1 x 18.

View attachment 154601
TW-Brian,

Wow--that's a nice, beefy-lookin' hoop--thanks for posting!

Any chance you can show us a "full frontal" pic of it, side-by-side, next to your Shinko 244 5.1 x 18? (I only ask because I'm still confused as to how a 4.00 x 18" tire can be even close to the same width as a 5.1 x 18".)

I'd also like to see the differences in the size and placement of the lugs, especially since you've got BOTH of the top Shinko choices on hand. (I believe I read that the Shinko 244 has more aggressive lugs on the sidewalls--is that true?)

And may I ask what made you switch tire models? (And if you could include a brief description of the type of riding you do, that will help noobs like me benefit from your choices/experience.)

Thanks in advance,

TS185

Reactions: Ken
#23 ·
I'm curious to know how the 244/241 compare on-road, both to each other, and to the stock TW31. Mine still has what I presume to be its original 2009 vintage tires, and the front still has the little stringers/nipples on the edges of the sidewall. Most of my riding will be 75% or so on-road, with the remaining 25% being a roughly even mix of field/trail/gravel. I'm about 6'3" 250lbs, and will be riding solo 99% of the time, in anything from 40°F to 110°F wet and dry weather. I don't mind the expense of short longevity for the benefit of safety.

#27 ·
I'm curious to know how the 244/241 compare on-road, both to each other, and to the stock TW31. Mine still has what I presume to be its original 2009 vintage tires, and the front still has the little stringers/nipples on the edges of the sidewall. Most of my riding will be 75% or so on-road, with the remaining 25% being a roughly even mix of field/trail/gravel. I'm about 6'3" 250lbs, and will be riding solo 99% of the time, in anything from 40°F to 110°F wet and dry weather. I don't mind the expense of short longevity for the benefit of safety.
So 25% of the time you are taking a chance on the front tire washing out on you. If you can deal with that fine. Not me. For $50 bucks it's a worthwhile change. Changing the front tire to me is no different then any bicycle tire i've have ever changed.

#24 ·
The stock TW31 is fine on road surfaces, but it has a habit of luring you into a false sense of security, then presenting your teeth to the pavement without warning. If you are happy to take the risk, then go for it — but the moment you go off road, you are taking your dental work in your hands — and I mean that literally

The Shinko 244 has been said to be “the homicidal ring of death” — search term — site tw200forum.com homicidal ring of death

But given many of the comments on this thread, this could be perhaps regarded as an exaggeration, though possibly not by much

If you look closely at the clues, the first thing you’ll notice is the term “Death Wing” — does what it says on the tin. Doesn’t matter if it gets you today, tomorrow, next week, or next year — but it will get you

The next thing to consider is the description “homicidal ring of death” — same deal — there you go, minding your own business, all “back of the bus” — right up to the point when reality hits you in the mush

Don’t know about you, but I choose both my car tires, and especially my bike tires, by their ability to let you know when you’re close to the edge, but to still have the tire hang on in there

The TW31 gives no warning, and will laugh in what’s left of your face — the 244 will let you know from the outset that you have made a bad choice in tire for the TW — after that, it’s your own fault

The difference in price between all these tires is probably 20 bucks — which is ridiculous when you think about what your body is going to go through — and sooner or later, it will

Never skimp on your tires — they are the only thing between you, a rock, and a hard place …….. ;)

#25 ·
I've had the 244 on my dual purpose bikes and like it, never used the 241 yet. May give it a try someday. I thought the 244 in 4.60 was 4ply and the 5.10 was 6ply, don't quote me on this and that the 5.10 was heavier. I went with the 4.60 for the front, on my past bikes used the 5.10 on the rear. Whatever tire you get, order a new rim strip if the bike is a few years old, and a heavy duty thick inner tube. May help with flats. Maybe add a 12v socket and get a small pump when off road, lower tire pressure. Seems to help.

#31 ·
Shinko 241 vs 244

I understand the basic difference, which is primarily weight — slight compound change etc — but if you had a bike with the 244 fitted, is it worth changing for the 241 ?

My rider weight is 180, with all the gear — does rider weight even come into this — is it a matter of preference — or trail conditions — riding style — or even height (6ft) — so many variables

To those of you who have changed one for the other — why — and what are your experiences of both tires ?

I suspect this has been covered before — but perhaps it time to “update” the discussion

I've answered some others' questions above, now I'll give the OP my opinion and some further explanation. Purple, yes, the 241 is such a great tire, a near perfect pairing with the rear TW34, that if $ wasn't the deciding factor, then it without a doubt is worth changing a 244 to the 241. Reading the above comments of veteran riders, riders better than me, like ejfranz and admiral, proves it to me, and it should prove it to you.

Who am I, and what is my experience? When I was looking to change my original tires after purchasing my TW in 2012, I too, hit the forum to find out what I should be getting. At the time the 244 Goldenboy was the tire of choice, so I bought one. However, a post by lizrdbrth (RIP) talking about the 241 got me excited about that one. Comparing the two in my hands was enough to know. The 241 got mounted, the 244 got sold. I'm going to consider myself one of the 241 pioneers. I tried it. I loved it, and I've been pushing it ever since my first review about it here... http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/3635-front-tire-choices-9.html#post71748

That was 5 years and 7,500 miles ago, and I stand by my original review. Bottom line, I believe the Shinko 241 (or the Pirelli MT43, a very similar tire) is the best all-around tire you can put on the front of a TW. Again, I think it pairs beautifully with the rear TW34. Now, I said best all-around tire...for most users. If someone has a particular need then I'm sure there will be a different tire for you. Street based tire...you can find one. More aggressive tire for mud...you can find one.

I'm on my second 241. Changed the first after 3 years, 6,000 miles. Not because it was too worn, but because I wanted the most bite I could get, and that is always with a new one. Many of you know me and how I ride, but if you don't, my YouTube channel link is in my signature. On every ride on the TW, there is a 241 on the front.

#34 ·
To my old eyes ,,, even though he 400 241 looks narrower, than either the wider 5.1 244 or Death Wing for that matter, It seems to have more tread wrapping around onto the side wall.... that in iitself looked better to me and just 2-3 days ago I went that route and am liking that choice very much.

More rideing to come, will I'm sure, confirm that choice due to what others here on the forum report and reccommend.

excalibur

#35 · (Edited)
To my old eyes ,,, even though he 400 241 looks narrower, than either the wider 5.1 244 or Death Wing for that matter, It seems to have more tread wrapping around onto the side wall.... that in iitself looked better to me and just 2-3 days ago I went that route and am liking that choice very much.

More rideing to come, will I'm sure, confirm that choice due to what others here on the forum report and reccommend.

excalibur
Having all three of these tires I can confirm that seeing them side by side is helpful but also slightly misleading as the comparison changes a little once they're all inflated on rims. The 241 will be a little wider on the rim then it looks here. At which point the side treads aren't as far off to the side as they appear they'll be. The real performance difference here is the even spacing, soft rubber, and smaller solid rubber sections for more flex.

#37 ·
Has anyone run the 241 on the road enough to say how many miles in it before it needs rotated around to keep wear in line. Also do you have any idea where the mt43 falls in there in soft -vs- hardness.

#38 · (Edited)
I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but I was asked about it in person earlier today, and I've got a direct comparison.

I have two TWs, one with a 5.1 244, and the other with a 4.0 241.

There's a gravel/chipped asphalt road that runs the perimeter of my local airport. I ride both bikes around this road (about a two mile loop) fairly regularly, and I've got to say, the 241 tire is WAY more stable than the 244 under these conditions!

I'm not surprised... the best trail 90 tires were always trials-type tires.

I wish we could get a rear TW200 tire that looked just like the 241!

The 244 looks cool though... very knobby! :cool:

#39 ·
I knew I should have bought a 241 and had been looking at them for some time, but the going rage on the forum at the time was the 244. My next tire would have been a 241. (if I had a TW) :crybaby2:

:D

Reactions: TW-Brian
#40 ·
What would the dream REAR tire be for a TW200, I am friends with the owner of one of the largest ATV aftermarket parts manufacturers and importers in the country and he even develops his own offroad tires in china, all atv based right now but just saying it might on a long shot be possible considering they have built 31 years of these bikes and there is on other options for the stock wheel. Or are those of you that run ATV on stock wheels getting good enough at pulling that off that there is no market. If so please share best techniques.

Reactions: Mattwings
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.