OEM Front Tire
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: OEM Front Tire

OEM Front Tire

Iíve read almost every thread on this forum in the two weeks since I bought my first TW200. Iíve learned a great deal and appreciate the experience that the longtime owners are willing to share.

I am still unsure of the dangers involved with the original front tire.

At the risk of being flamed for being lazy, could someone explain exactly what the problem is with the OEM tire without using colorful words like death wing, teeth crusher, widow-maker, etc.

Thanx...
    Ken likes this.

Basically, it has the wrong knobby style on it to keep traction under a wide variety of conditions. It will just suddenly slide out from under you. This only pertains to the front tire. 60 bucks on a new tire and it's all solved.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Welcome Tjmay! Yes, what littletommy says above. Although, danger is a strong word. On the street, it is a fine tire. It is off-road where it is not great. Once we've discovered tires that were so much better, we started making fun of the tire. Many have run them successfully for years. It's weaknesses are that it tracks funny and leaves an uneasy feeling on simple gravel roads, and it can wash-out, or loose traction in many other off-road situations. Some of us ride the TW so much harder than I'm sure was intended as a simple dual-sport, so we demand more than what the OEM tire can provide. I believe the Shinko 241 is the near perfect tire to put on the front to match the TW34 rear tire, and the $55 investment is well worth it if you're planning to spend any significant amount of time off-road. To each their own, rider's choice. Happy riding!
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ken
    The stock knobby on the street only lasted me about 3,000 miles. I thought that was pretty quick wear. I never had an issue on the street. I thought my falls off road were my fault but it is possible the tire was partially to blame as everyone says.

I have been riding off road for a few years on Bridgestone 203/204 "street tires" and had no issue. Bought a newer TW with the stock tires and took it off road. The front end slid out at least 4 times on the first day. On the street it is a great tire.
    TS185 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjmay View Post
    Iíve read almost every thread on this forum in the two weeks since I bought my first TW200. Iíve learned a great deal and appreciate the experience that the longtime owners are willing to share.

I am still unsure of the dangers involved with the original front tire.

At the risk of being flamed for being lazy, could someone explain exactly what the problem is with the OEM tire without using colorful words like death wing, teeth crusher, widow-maker, etc.

Thanx...
    Off road in any kind of loose gravel it wants to slide at any speed over a slow speed! Put on a 241 and its a different bike. You won't believe the difference, however on road i don't have much time with either but i believe the stock tire is fine.
    littletommy and retmotor like this.

Thanks to all for my better understanding of the issues with the stock front tire.
    littletommy and retmotor like this.

The OEM tire isn't really any different than any OEM tire installed on 99% of the cars rolling out of showrooms. They're black, they're round, and they are perfectly adequate for 'normal use' in 'normal conditions'.
    If someone bought a new car and was going to be driving for their job, and possibly in snowy or muddy conditions, they would likely think about upgrading to a better tire, more suited to the slightly more demanding conditions that they will be subjecting it to.
    There are much better tires if you're doing more off-pavement riding...and there are better tires if you're doing nearly 100% pavement riding. If you think about it, the stock tire really isn't that bad....as an OEM basic tire. I don't think it's unreasonable to have to swap it out for something more task-suited if you're heading out into the mud, desert, etc.... Some people happily run it for years, and it's fine for them... I'd likely have been the perfect candidate for running a death wing. Older rider, new rider, quite content to chug along, well inside the limits of the OEM tire. I did all my dumb stuff when I was young, so when I took up biking at 47, I went with the attitude that I was made of glass, and to ride accordingly.
    That said, as a new rider, I didn't like the feeling that the death wing gave me....like it was on the verge of slipping out a lot...it never tossed me, but there were a lot of times I thought, "Hmm...I have a feeling that the front should feel more planted than it does...." For the price, it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade to a 241. For my riding and conditions, the 241 was a much better fit... Could I have kept using the OEM and not exploded in a ball of fire, killing all those in a 10-mile radius? Probably...

A friend has an old laptop that's missing a couple keys, is slow as hell, the battery only lasts about 15 minutes...but he's the type that doesn't care because he goes on, checks facebook, checks the weather, and puts it away. It does what he needs it to do and he's fine with that. I like to fart around with games, some editing and stuff and I like something that does exactly what I want it to, when I ask it to....so I have a business class workstation with thick aluminum sides on it that would make any TW200 skidplate feel inadequate, 24GB of ram and a Xeon processor. Mine can check facebook and the weather too...and a lot of other stuff. But I want to do the other stuff...he doesn't. For what he does, his 'good enough' laptop (OEM tire) is just that; good enough.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 02-02-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Great explanation.

Thanx, Fishguy...
    littletommy likes this.

As mentioned, you can get about 3000 miles out of it from road and/or mostly road use. In loose gravel, I had several front end washouts which now realize were from a lack of lateral traction. If you're going to spend time in the loose stuff -- knobbies. Oh, and if you're going to spend time in the loose stuff -- knobbies.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links