Doing my swing arm stretch, decided on 2" for now.
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Doing my swing arm stretch, decided on 2" for now.

Doing my swing arm stretch, decided on 2" for now.

I know I am not forging any new ground here but maybe it has been a while since anybody done one and took a few pictures along the way.

After a few short rides I decided to do a swing arm stretch. I think I have fairly capable hands and a well suited shop after 20+ years of building drag cars and Jeep type stuff. Just finishing a paramotor trike project as another summer toy and it was time to cut something else up and modify it

I am in hopes of.....

#1: More wheel base giving a little better straight line tracking, less twitchy that comes from a small short wheel base bike.
    #2: lower seat height, I am an old guy and not jumping over things often and lower is more important to me that travel, I can always go to the stiffer spring or add a shim to get ride height back if needed,.... I think.
    #3: Hate to admit it but.... looks, there I said it, i hate the way the rear tire looks stuffed up underneath the seat.
    #4: More clearance for atv tire following the next mod which will be a hub modification for a suitable atv tire install.

I ordered a used but pretty clean looking swing arm from ebay a few days ago so I could keep all of my original parts. I put it in the cleaning tank for a while and then washed it down and I think it is a good used arm.

Here is a couple pictures of it marked up with cut guides, and then cut and just mocked up for the 2" stretch. Needed to do this much to see inside to determine what my sleeve material is going to be. I ended up ordering a length of 1" x 1.750" chrome mold rectangle and I will have to split it long ways and mend it bank together to hit the mark as close as I can get on fitting the interior for a sleeve.

Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-02-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    Nice to have a well equipped shop.... And of course the skills to use it..... I don't think you will have any trouble changing ride height if you desire.

A few inches would be nice. Though a few inches longer will add a little height unless you shorten your rear suspension a little.

Why a second swing arm if you're using a coupling material? In case complications arise or you want to have a stock back up?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    A few inches would be nice. Though a few inches longer will add a little height unless you shorten your rear suspension a little.

Why a second swing arm if you're using a coupling material? In case complications arise or you want to have a stock back up?
    I was thinking that the longer arm would have more leverage over the stock spring and i could expect a slight lowering of seat height ?? I really was just guessing. Be nice to get some feedback on this from someone that has done it before ??

I got the second arm cheap enough I could easily justify keeping my original parts, that's really the only reason. I would of been comfortable either way had I not had such a new bike and wanted to keep the stock arm.
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-02-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Yeah it sounds like you'll want a shorter and stiffer rear shock since the swing arm will add height and leverage. It's difficult to tell how that will work out for you until you have a chance to test it.

It's nice to know you have a good stock on hand and you can always go back if you hit a complication
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

"I was thinking that the longer arm would have more leverage over the stock spring and i could expect a slight lowering of seat height ?? I really was just guessing. Be nice to get some feedback on this from someone that has done it before ??"

Hey Doug, you are exactly right in your thinking!

I believe that many of us with extended swingarms have ended up replacing the rear shock spring with a beefier one like the Red one from Procycle.

I envy your tools and talent !

While you have the swing arm off you might want to drill some holes to lower it a couple inches later if you decide. I'm 170 lbs and have never bottomed the rear suspension out with the 2-3" drop.Attachment 154810

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    "I was thinking that the longer arm would have more leverage over the stock spring and i could expect a slight lowering of seat height ?? I really was just guessing. Be nice to get some feedback on this from someone that has done it before ??"

Hey Doug, you are exactly right in your thinking!

I believe that many of us with extended swingarms have ended up replacing the rear shock spring with a beefier one like the Red one from Procycle.

I envy your tools and talent !
    Brian... could you add a couple pictures into this thread of you trailer hitch mounted rear shock compressor / spring installer tool.

Here is the last project, waiting on spring to test run it on the ground before painting and putting on the safety net. Plan to haul the TW in the paramotor/camper with me when I go to flyin's.

Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-02-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    TW-Brian, Heli-Mech, Fred and 3 others like this.

I tried to just write the word WOW but got a message that said my Quick Reply was too short.

WOW
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    Brian... could you add a couple pictures into this thread of you trailer hitch mounted rear shock compressor / spring installer tool.
    Sure, here you go.

100_3945.JPG

100_4732.JPG

100_4733.JPG

100_4734.JPG

When Joemama built my extended swingarm, I asked him to weld on a couple of nuts so I could use a spool type of swingarm stand. These really make it quick and easy to lift the rear of the bike for removing the rear wheel, cleaning/lubing the chain, etc.

I just thought I'd suggest it since you will be doing some welding back there.

100_4610.JPG

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links