Seat Pad difference between older/newer TW200?
Close

Two part question here. I sat on a new 2012 TW200 at a local dealer and thought maybe the seat felt softer (or it could very well have been my imagination!). Does anyone know if Yamaha has changed its seats or the foam used from older to newer models? I have a 2000 TW200 and was wondering if their newest OEM seat would fit on my bike? Also, if it would fit, do you think the seat cover on my 2000 would fit over the new one? My seat cover (blue) is in perfect condition and don't necessarily need to replace it with a black one.

I looked on a few Yamaha parts sites and part numbers are different for the different years, but not sure if the size changed in any way.

Mucho thanks.

Wurd, that's going to be a tough question for anyone here to answer with authority unless they happen to be associated with a Yamaha dealership or own both a new and older bike. My 'guess' would be that the seats would interchange. I would doubt putting your seat cover over the already covered seat (if that was your question) would work (well). You could certainly remove the cover on the new seat and replace it with yours. I would say given the hassle and expense you are contemplating, a trip to a good upholstery shop would make more sense (to me). Good luck. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

OK, thanks. I just couldn't tell if they use the same size seat on the new TW's as the old (it felt about the same I think). I'm sure maybe the foam used might be different now as from years past. I guess I'll try and get some info from Yamaha. Cheers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Try a measuring tape. That will answer all your questions.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurd View Post
    OK, thanks. I just couldn't tell if they use the same size seat on the new TW's as the old (it felt about the same I think). I'm sure maybe the foam used might be different now as from years past. I guess I'll try and get some info from Yamaha. Cheers.

Foam has a tendency to lose its rebound as it stiffens with age - much like MOST of our parts do. Even if you keep your machine in great condition, the chemicals responsible for elasticity in the foam outgas with the passage of time, weather exposure, and use and the foam's cell walls become more brittle, becoming more plastic and less elastic - retaining more of its butt-compressed form when you get off. What you might be feeling with your 12-13 year old bike is a closer relationship between your tush and the seat pan that didn't exist when the bike was new.

As for compatibility, the assembly should work as the attaching parts and drawings are identical and your seat cover should slip right on - I will defer to those who might have contrary experience, of course. $106.73 at http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...es/257947-seat.

Good luck.

The 07 o have feels alot firmer than the 98 i just sold but it could be the age and more time on the seat.

My 04 is softer than my 01, but they do interchange.

Sponosred Links