Cycleracks in Baja
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Cycleracks in Baja

Cycleracks in Baja

Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Cycleracks. I've bought at least 6 of them. But it's becoming increasingly difficult to stay on board.
    I've had a few problems over the years. Broken most of them.
    We just got back from a ride down into Baja. While packing up my bike in Catavina, I noticed the rack was broken on my bike. I used some zipties to stabilize it, and we rode Mex Route 1 down to Guerrero Negro.

Guerrero Negro is just past the border of Baja California Sur. Very sandy over the whole area.

It was late Saturday afternoon, but I found a welder who was willing to help me out.

I took the broken parts off the bike while he finished up another job.

Over on his workbench... you can see the break:

Broke in the usual place.

They really should use a gusset or something to strengthen that spot. The bikes in parts and waiting.

He welded it up and got me on my way. The only wrench I had that would fit the 13mm bolt on the footpeg bracket was a crescent wrench...he lent me a socket that fit.

He asked me for 200 pesos.... about 10 bucks. Hell, it's 5:00pm on Saturday, he's saving me from hanging around till Monday...so I gave him 300 pesos. We stayed in a hotel nearby.
    Hardly anyone there... maybe a couple cars by morning.

Packed up and ready to go in the morning.

Oh yeah... it was the "Cowboy" Hotel.

We rode down to San Ignacio.... you'll have to read the ride report for riding pictures.... where we stayed at the Hotel de la Huerta. A little while after we checked in, a couple of vans with trailers of dirtbikes pulled in. It was a tour group led by Chris Haines. Chris Haines Motorcycle Adventure Company
    Looked pretty cool and I think those guys were having fun.

A bunch of bikes to keep our little piggies company.

Funny watching the guides round them up and move 'em out in the morning...

Also staying at the hotel was Henri from the Netherlands... he's been travelling for over 2 and a half years now.

While we were talking, I told him about the broken rack and stopping in Guerrero Negro. He said, "Oh yeah, I saw that"
    "Saw that? I had it fixed!" I said. "No, no, no...I saw the broken one" he said. We walked over and looked at the bikes. On Mrs. Trip's:

I treated him to a few choice American curse words. "You have gotta be kidding me!"

We rode around looking for a welding shop. Stopped in an auto parts store... they gave me directions. South, out of town. The guy said sure, he'd fix it. Same deal, I took off the rack.

A close-up.

It was tough getting it back into place. We both tried pulling on it....no way. He used a small bottle jack to get the pipe lined up. Then welded it.

Then we loaded back up. We hung around San Ignacio for another night...It was too late in the day by the time we got things fixed.

While there were a few other mishaps along the way... lost bolt on my license plate...fixed with a ziptie. Lost the nut on the side of the Clarke tank...found a replacement. Finally severed my left hand mirror in a minor "incident" involving a bottomless pit of dust... limped it back to Tucson with some tape, zipties, and some plastic steel... we had a pretty low incidence of problems.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

My original cycle rack from 2005 has broken twice in the same sot as yours. The weld repair held but the bracket now broke below the weld. I’ve been using the one I got from you since it arrived. Smaller but good enough for my use. We don’t need to pack like you two do.

Looks like another great tw adventure venture by the Rhodetrips.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Bummer about the Cycleracks, but looks like an awesome trip. If only VanillaGorilla had more time for fabricating, he could probably put Cycleracks out of business, at least on the TW products.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Baja! what a beautiful place with people that have always been friendly to us. where did you stay in catavińa?
    littletommy and TopPredator like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I love Baja. More envy. I wish I could get my wife to go down there with me. Another cool Rhodetrip.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Hey road trip we need to keep in touch I travel ball a lot.

ronnydogAttachment 156042

Sorry to hear of your breakage issues but really enjoyed your post with all of the pics.....yes I am envious!
    littletommy and Rhodetrip like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Apparently you have found (several times you say) the real weight limit for the cyclerack. Do you think it's more about what you are hanging on the sides or on top with the vibrations?
    You really don't look crazily loaded. Not like the around-the-world guy. Off-hand what do you think that is?

Man, that is such a great looking adventure/trip. Ride safe and have fun.
    littletommy and Rhodetrip like this.

Thanks for sharing your trip...love those hotels.
    I bought a CycleRack a couple years ago from a local guy. I’ve heard they break a lot but it was a deal so I bought it.
    I just installed it for the first time for our Devils Nose ride. I figured I’ll have around 60 pounds loaded so hopefully it holds up.
    All my other racks anchor onto the subframe. I wonder if it would help to weld another bracket from the rack to the subframe (turn signals)
    Rhodetrip, littletommy and Lyterx like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Thanks for sharing your trip...love those hotels.
    I bought a CycleRack a couple years ago from a local guy. I’ve heard they break a lot but it was a deal so I bought it.
    I just installed it for the first time for our Devils Nose ride. I figured I’ll have around 60 pounds loaded so hopefully it holds up.
    All my other racks anchor onto the subframe. I wonder if it would help to weld another bracket from the rack to the subframe (turn signals)
    Top, I think some of the problem is the flex in the rear due to many factors some of which I can't think of (weight, flex from weight, stress point etc).

Forum member old w/too many something or other came up with a good solution. I think he modified a hockey puck and placed/secured it between the middle of the rack and the pad on the fender to help support it from flexing. You could probably use something other than a hockey puck but I think you'll be able to visualize what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure my rack broke because of the flexing and I haven't even put that much weight on the rack as does the Rhodetrips. Well, I did carry a 30 lbs. dog on the back for many years but the rack didn't fail until Georgie couldn't ride anymore.

I had forgot about Freds wire shelving as a support. I'm gonna have to adapt my racks like he has when I want to carry stuff for more than a day.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links