Bought a spare 09 TW engine to build a TW250 drop in. Next project !!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Bought a spare 09 TW engine to build a TW250 drop in. Next project !!

Got a complete bottom end and cylinder head combination off the same low mile 09 TW. Thus far i am thinking I will build the 58mm crank kit and the yfm250 cylinder sleeved per. Sebastians list with the 74mm LA-Sleeve and the oem Yamaha 9.5 to 1 piston. Final bore still subject to change. I kind of like the 9.5 to 1 idea for not making it as fuel sensitive. Coach me on the best logic here based on experience.
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-11-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Nice project! Have you considered adding a 6 speed transmission from a ttr225?
    For the ultimate TW250!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 TW200 - replaced almost everything!

You should consider a high compression Wiseco piston (10.25 to 1). My 226 is not noticeably more difficult to start and runs fine on regular gas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Likely will since I would really like that 250 less rpm when on the road.
    littletommy, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

The 6 speed conversion would suit you better, and beef up the clutch while you’re at it

This should give you a bike (correctly geared) that will be capable of around 80mph — with brakes that can’t stop it from 65mph, and frame geometry that becomes unstable at 70 (on knobblies)

Talk to Joemama about extended swing-arms (which sorts out the frame) - the braking situation is a little more complicated …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post

This should give you a bike (correctly geared) that will be capable of around 80mph — with brakes that can’t stop it from 65mph, and frame geometry that becomes unstable at 70 (on knobblies)

That made me chuckle

Well put, fortunately I don't want to go that fast any more so it should work out perfect. Little more lower gear for crawling around and a little more grunt coming up to speed and a little less effort when going 55-60 with my fat ass on top of it. Already done the stretched swing arm, hoping to install it Sunday.
    Tweaker, jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

I am finding small shops boring cylinders all over the place still but nobody in the area yet that can or wants to deal with removing the old sleeve and replacing it. Kind of perplexed, a lot of the good old engine shops around my area are gone these days as we move into a crate motor era. Talked to a slick old engine guy that has been a friend for decades, he built a few drag race engine back in the day for me but retired now. He give me some old timers tricks for extracting the old sleeve in my shop with the things I have to work with. I think I will head that direction and see if I can present one of the local boring shops with an empty aluminum cylinder and a sleeve and piston kit to work with instead. Wish me luck.

I may be way off here. Was thinking of some folks having the leak around the base of the cylinder. Putting the bigger jug on and add the high compression piston might be a bit much. Still I am excited to hear how it goes with the 250 changeout, costs and such. Wouldn't mind doing this to one of mine, I have run out of power a couple times and just had enough to get me over the hill.
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    I may be way off here. Was thinking of some folks having the leak around the base of the cylinder. Putting the bigger jug on and add the high compression piston might be a bit much. Still I am excited to hear how it goes with the 250 change out, costs and such. Wouldn't mind doing this to one of mine, I have run out of power a couple times and just had enough to get me over the hill.
    My first choice is to go with the OEM yamaha 9.5 to 1 74mm piston combination that Sebastian has listed, if not I will stop with a 71mm readily available through wiseco since Brian says his is not fuel sensitive, I was concerned about that prior.

If there is a known issue sealing up this biggest bore option that is already known I really would like to hear about it before heading down this road. I was thinking the 9.5 to 1 74mm might be the less problematic of the 2 options -vs- the 71mm at higher compression at 10.25 to 1.
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-10-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links