• 3 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By SportsterDoc
  • 1 Post By Tweaker
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By SportsterDoc

Thread: Water in air filter box

Water in air filter box

First I really wanna say you guys are awesome! I have really loved reading so much about the TW and all of your wisdom has been so helpful! I have recently purchased my 2nd TW but this one is to fix up and sell. It has a lot of surface rust & I am trying to do a restoration & save this bike. Its a 2014 with 5K miles. A kid had the bike and was trying to transform it into a very sloppy bob style bike. he ran out of money and left the bike outside for "a while" I purchased the bike and when removing the air filter to do some routine maintenance I had a lot of water in the air box. I have not tried to start the bike at this time but was told it ran good before my purchase. The seat was off of the bike and i suspect rain had filled the box. There is no rust on the screen. I am obviously no mechanic however I do love working on the bike and learning about this machine.
    my question is what if anything should I do to this bike before trying to start it since so much water was inside the air box?
    Thank you for all your help in advance!!
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

Theres a short plastic drain pipe at the bottom of the box – make sure it’s clear – other than that, new foam filter, and don’t forget to oil it ……..
    Badgerflorida, Fred and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I'd drain and replace engine oil, check/replace spark plug, check combustion chamber thru spark plug hole, before starting

Before going any distance, suggest

a. removing both ends of both battery cables, clean and reinstall
    b. service chain
    c. check condition of tires
    d. lube clutch and throttle cables
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 02-19-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Ken likes this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Drain and replace gas too.
    Ken likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

While all the above is good general maintenance advice the simple answer to the OP's stated question : "my question is what if anything should I do to this bike before trying to start it since so much water was inside the air box?" is simply remove as much water from the airbox and filter as convenient and then try to start it.
    Sure, you can and should eventually do all the above, but lacking changing the oil, servicing the chain, lubing cables or installing a new air filter will have no affect on startinghis bike after water was noted in the airbox. People try to be overly helpful here sometimes at the expense of addressing the specific question asked.
    Good luck.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Well, if you’re going to take it to extremes, we first need to look at “why” all that water has got into the air box – and just what the consequences of this can be

Firstly, let me explain where I’m coming from – I used to have a Suzy GT550 triple two stroke – and all was well until I stuck a Piper three into one exhaust system on it. Because the expansion box on that particular pipe was under the engine, this meant the removal of the centre stand. No room for both, so I simply rolled with the side stand only – no biggie – or so I thought

But having the bike parked up for just over a year at an angle (with no cover), had somehow allowed water to get into the air filter, and subsequently, the carbs (all three of them)

Being in my early twenties at the time, I found it mildly amusing to try to start it on the electric at first, but accepted that I’d eventually have to kick it over. At which point, the cylinder head would lift, she’d spew the water out from between the head gaskets, and grumble into life – albeit on two cylinders at first, but after a couple of hundred yards she’d be up on all three

The GT550 triple was a brutal engine – both by nature and by design …….

Eventually, I dropped the engine, replaced the rings and the small ends – but that was about it

But she suffered from the odd glitch after that, when she’d drop back down to two – and I’d go chasing the HT trying to find it (three sets of points, three condensers, you know the routine)

After about 6 months of this, I gave up and chucked it at the shop – they cleaned out all the gunk from the carbs, and she was fine after that. Funny old game …..

The point of all this, is that Fred is largely right – if your bike has been left in the rain for long enough, all of the above applies

If you want to take it to extremes, drop and change the oil, the air filter, clean the carb, squirt some oil down the plug hole before attempting to turn the engine over – and yes, still clear that air filter drain pipe – then run it through with sea foam

Reading back over what I have just written – it makes a lot of sense – or you risk only doing half a job – just like I did when I was young ………
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Why was there water in airbox you ask. No seat and left out in the rain "for awhile" seems a good clue.
    No reason for the new buyer not to try turning engine over for the first time before significant improvements are implemented as part of initial evaluation of the restoration needed. This assumes oil level and quality (no water) has been inspected. After all if engine is seized or otherwise needs dissassembly having changed the oil as a first step will not do any good. Remember, this is the beginning of the owners state restoration process.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Why was there water in airbox you ask. No seat and left out in the rain "for awhile" seems a good clue.
    No reason for the new buyer not to try turning engine over for the first time before significant improvements are implemented as part of initial evaluation of the restoration needed. This assumes oil level and quality (no water) has been inspected. After all if engine is seized or otherwise needs dissassembly having changed the oil as a first step will not do any good. Remember, this is the beginning of the owners state restoration process.
    OK, then change this advice from "I'd drain and replace engine oil, check/replace spark plug, check combustion chamber thru spark plug hole, before starting"
    ...to:
    1. Pull spark plug and look for fluids in the combustion chamber
    2. With spark plug grounded, crank engine to determine if it freely rotates
    3. Check engine oil for contaminants/water
    4. If spark plug fired during #2, and if oil is ugly, change it before firing
    5. And, as Teaker suggested, use fresh fuel.

What if "parked in the rain, seat off" really was drowned in a river?
    Fred likes this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

You guys are awesome and I cannot thank you enough for being so helpful!!! I will be looking through the clues that you provided tomorrow and let you know what the bike does. Again ....... thank you so much!!!

Sponosred Links