Back Tires
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Back Tires

Back Tires

Hallo TW-community. I am living in Africa and need new tires soon. Two options seem to be available: Bridgestone Trailwing 203/204 or Dunlop K 180. Any experiences about traction and how many kilometers/miles they run on tarmac? Are there big differences? Safe journeys always!
    Elvesus and Ken like this.

I don't know much about the Dunlops but I've been running the 203/204 combo for some time now. First for pavement use they give a smoother ride and more traction than the stock tires. For hard pack dirt roads they do ok but they are not well suited for sand or lots of mud. Also wet grass feels like riding on a slip and slide.

The 203/204 combination is good for the road, and can cope with “gentle” trails – but take it easy on loose surfaces

The Dunlop K180 (the same tire that is stock on the rear of the vanvan) is about the same – 80% road based

The problem of your choices starts with the tread pattern – you would be well advised (in my experience) to match the tread pattern of both front and rear

The issue is that the 203/204 are matching road tires – the odd one out here in the K180, which is semi-knobbly, and shares a tread pattern with the stock front TW31 (which is death on a stick)

I’d go for the TW203/204 combo myself – just take it easy in the sand ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hans_Hanssen View Post
    Hallo TW-community. I am living in Africa and need new tires soon. Two options seem to be available: Bridgestone Trailwing 203/204 or Dunlop K 180. Any experiences about traction and how many kilometers/miles they run on tarmac? Are there big differences? Safe journeys always!
    Adventurous continent you picked.

May I ask where you ride?
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

I love the 203 204s and they are good for at least 20,000 kms
    Hans_Hanssen, Ken and littletommy like this.

Sure, I use the bike mainly in Kampala, the capital, and Jinja, a town 50 miles east, where I live. Because of the traffic jam only a bike makes sense if you regularly cover long distances. WIth a car the average speed would be 10miles/h! Sometimes I also use the bike for the "back yard", with murram roads, paths, etc. Very ideal to have a TW here... It is small, light weight, strong enough and has a low seat, as you know.
    littletommy, Ken, Peterb and 1 others like this.

Thanks for the number! SInce I have to import every single part, this is a very strong argument for buying the 203/204!
    Ken, littletommy and Peterb like this.

Attachment 160729DSCF4047.JPGDSCF4046.JPGIMG1180.jpg
    I love the Maxxis Ceros, best thing I have done to the bike so far. So far this tire has taken everything I have ran it over, just one small problem with snow (but we don't talk about that anymore). Not sure how your riding is over there, but here on the coast of Canada we have lots of gravel, rocks, mud, water, slime and moss on the trails. The Maxxis compound of rubber must be 50% glue as it sticks to everything (except snow) and the only negative to the larger than stock diameter is that you will require a gearing change to swing this tire. The tread throws out the mud unlike the stock that packed up and it was like running on an inner tube, this ability to clear the tread makes it very aggressive on the trail (not so much on snow) and has allowed us to ride to places the stock tire would never have gone. This tire was truly a pain to mount and adapt to the TW but if you want to have a fun time on the trails this tire will do that and more (no snow!) Denice says it has made trail riding more enjoyable for her as the bike stays straight and upright more (just not on snow) and she is more relaxed as a passenger knowing we have the grip to get where we want to go......long as its not deep snow!!!
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 02-24-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    Fred, Kevinophoto, admiral and 1 others like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Adaptations

[QUOTE=wrench-puller;855233]Attachment 160729DSCF4047.JPGDSCF4046.JPGIMG1180.jpg
    ...This tire was truly a pain to mount and adapt to the TW but if you want to have a fun time on the trails this tire will do that and more (no snow!) ...

THanks for the infos, very helpful. Now, if I manage to import a tire from US (I doubt whether I get this type in EU) what changes are necessary? For me here, in the middle of nowhere it might be dificult to make changes e.g. on the swing arms, etc. ...
    littletommy likes this.

I like that that Maxxis Ceros has a nice round profile. How much taller is it? Do you use it on the road? Whats it like on pavemant? I see they have a 25x10-14 , 26x9-14 and 26x11-14. Which size do you have on yours? Ceros | Maxxis Canada
    Last edited by Peterb; 02-25-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    littletommy and Kevinophoto like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links