USB mount charger
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: USB mount charger

USB mount charger

Hello fellow TWers,

For those who live up north where it snows in the winter you will understand. The summer months are arriving soon and getting my bike ready for the summer, as a project I want to add a USB changer mount so I can mount my cell phone on my handle bars and charge it as well. Anyone have good reliable set ups? pictures are always great! See the link below on what I have found so far on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CHIC-Motorcy...1ZlB6a&vxp=mtr

also anyone know a good map apps I can download for GPS, Right now I have the Google maps Apps, works great, but is there any thing better...?
    littletommy and Ken like this.

I use this RAM mount but make sure you use the rubber doohickey to secure your phone. I had my iPhone blow off the mount at 70 mph
    littletommy, Ken, Rockit and 1 others like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I’m not a fan of permanent mounted USB jacks due to corrosion. I mounted a waterproof 12v jack and I use a small USB charger.

7C669789-539E-4F21-825A-A2CBCFDD4119.jpeg

A1BE9724-BC82-427A-A840-E98A0339D985.jpeg
    Last edited by TopPredator; 02-25-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    littletommy, ejfranz, Ken and 3 others like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check out Avenza maps. It is a free app. Some maps are free, some you need to buy. The app has a tracking feature and I found it worked well in Quartzsite using the area's off road map. Accuracy on my inexpensive android phone was amazing.
    Ken, littletommy and KC5H like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I use the Ram Mount "X-Grip" on all by bikes. Move it to other vehicles when needed. I'm not familiar with this Chinese Copy but it does have the power included. For liability purposes Ram Mount does not do that.

If you go to "Sellers Other Items for sale" in the upper right hand corner on eBay this seems to be just a distributor for a bunch of Chinese junk that mostly doesn't have anything to do with motorcycles or anything automotive like fake beards, costume crowns, penis extenders, etc.
    Pretty funny stuff.

I use SW-Motech on 2 of my bikes for accessory power. You can find their products on Twisted Throttle.
    The TW has accessory power via Battery Tender's receptacle. When I'm not riding the bike the same pigtail is for the actual tender.
    ejfranz, Ken, Rockit and 2 others like this.

I opted for a dual usb with a weather proof cover:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cliff-Top-Mot...lebar+clifftop

A usb dust plug (since I usually only use one usb plug) and headphone jack plug for my phone:
    https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Universal...=usb+dust+plug

Decided to get short iPhone charging cables:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H67RXV...&pd_rd_w=SF8LG

I use a Ram mount X-grip (the large one) to hold my iPhone 6S Plus. Not the cheapest route but reall happy wiith the setup. I do plan to permanently connect the USB battery pig tail to the USB dual plug lead and then install an in-line switch so I can easily turn the usb power on and off without having to unplug these two leads. I do not want to forget to do that and have the usb slowly drain my battery when it sits in the garage.

One other thing, the usb pig tail comes with a 3.5 amp in-line fuse to protect low-draw electronics like a phone. The compact air pump I carry with me in the field will blow this fuse so I carry spare 3.5 amp and a couple of high capacity fuses to handle the air pump draw.
    Ken and littletommy like this.

The reminder to power down the USB is a good one. Otherwise parasitic transformer losses in the USB will slowly discharge your battery while in storage.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Tw200quebec View Post
    Hello fellow TWers,

For those who live up north where it snows in the winter you will understand. The summer months are arriving soon and getting my bike ready for the summer, as a project I want to add a USB changer mount so I can mount my cell phone on my handle bars and charge it as well. Anyone have good reliable set ups? pictures are always great! See the link below on what I have found so far on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CHIC-Motorcy...1ZlB6a&vxp=mtr

also anyone know a good map apps I can download for GPS, Right now I have the Google maps Apps, works great, but is there any thing better...?
    I didn’t realize the GD Chinese had stolen another patent from the United States of American. I try my best not to buy stolen knockoffs. I hope our new administration stops this unfair practice.
    Just saying
    Ken likes this.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The reminder to power down the USB is a good one. Otherwise parasitic transformer losses in the USB will slowly discharge your battery while in storage.
    +1.
    I wired mine to a relay to make sure I never ever forget to turn it off.
    littletommy and DougDotyTW200 like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I didn’t realize the GD Chinese had stolen another patent from the United States of American. I try my best not to buy stolen knockoffs. I hope our new administration stops this unfair practice.
    Just saying
    You mean the penis extender?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links