My bike is more comfortable now
Close

Just when I thought I was done with all the customizing on my TW, I found more to do. Does it ever end?

Background to this upgrade:

I rarely ever rode my TW this season. I purchased a cruiser in January, and since the purchase, I got more used to the cruiser and ignored the TW. This riding season, I put 3,700 miles on the cruiser, and 300 miles on the TW. After getting used to the cruiser, the TW stopped being a comfortable bike. Even with risers, the handlebars felt lower than I liked them, and even with the mirror risers/extenders, the mirrors just weren't in the right place. I had planned on selling the bike in the Spring because I felt bad that I didn't ride it very much.

So, I was at the dealership to get something unrelated, and saw a single set of Marshall aluminum high ATV bars for only $35. Also, a couple of weeks before I purchased the bars, I ordered hand guards to deflect the wind a bit while I ride in colder weather.

So today, I installed the bars and guards, and it really made a huge difference. The bike feels totally different. The bars are so much higher than the old ones with the risers and feel so much more comfortable. I left the mirror risers/extenders on, and they are perfect. I took it on a few miles ride, and the vibration in the grips is much less than it was. Also, I really don't slide down on the seat any longer. Must be something with my improved posture on the bike. I tell you, the bike feels great, and now, I think I'm keeping it. Here are pictures of the bike as of this afternoon.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Good info!....at times it is hard to make a bike comfy....I'm having issues with my Honda RS shadow,so I can relate to what you are saying. What cruiser did you purchase?.

I don't find the bars too high, but less vibration would be welcome!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So, I was at the dealership to get something unrelated, and saw a single set of Marshall aluminum high ATV bars for only $35. Also, a couple of weeks before I purchased the bars, I ordered hand guards to deflect the wind a bit while I ride in colder weather.

So today, I installed the bars and guards, and it really made a huge difference. The bike feels totally different. The bars are so much higher than the old ones with the risers and feel so much more comfortable. I left the mirror risers/extenders on, and they are perfect. I took it on a few miles ride, and the vibration in the grips is much less than it was. Also, I really don't slide down on the seat any longer. Must be something with my improved posture on the bike. I tell you, the bike feels great, and now, I think I'm keeping it. Here are pictures of the bike as of this afternoon.

Dan

[/quote]

Hey Dan,

Dumb question? Are these bars solid or hollow? Which ATV are they bent for?

Thanks,

Larry

Dan,

I know it gets just a tad brisk in the winter back yonder and if you plan to ride your TW or crusier for that matter, you may want to add some atv hand warmer mittens. I put the ones shown in the photo on last winter and they are a great addition to rider comfort. Matter of fact, on the ride in this photo, I didn't even wear gloves my hands were so warm. I did modify the mittens slightly by cutting them to slip past the mirrors, then used zipties to secure them. I don't have handguards like you do, but am quite sure they would fit over them no problem.

I was a little concerned about getting my hands out and off the handlebars with the mittens on, but this ended up being a non-issue. Just a thought for you to consider.

Take care,

Kris
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Frog13: I purchased a 1996 Yamaha Virago 1100. I upgraded the seat to a Mustang seat, and it's a great bike. I'm really glad I purchased it.

Kwizard: The bars are hollow. The walls on them are a lot thicker than they are on the stock bars. Being aluminum though, I was able to drill the holes needed to mount the controls that needed the holes. The naked aluminum bars are almost the same color as the stock steel bars, so it not an immediately noticeable; it fits right in. I don't know what ATV the bars are for. The guys at the Yamaha dealership couldn't tell me either. The tag on the bars just noted that they were high bend ATV bars, no other information though. The bars are maybe a total of 1/2" narrower than stock, but with the added height, I don't really notice the spread of my hands being any different.

Admiral: Thanks for the information. I put the hand guards on mine to deflect the wind, but after the ride I took after installing them, though it was much less, I still felt the wind, so what you have on your bike may be the next thing I pick up for mine. WEll, that and a larger windshield since the Jimbo shield won't deflect much wind. The spitfire seems like it would work, and I wouldn't even have to remove the Jimbo shield.

Thanks all,

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoenisch View Post
    Just when I thought I was done with all the customizing on my TW, I found more to do. Does it ever end?

Dan

Customizing, like house remodeling, is never done - one day you just decide to quit.

Sponosred Links