Magnet Oil plug
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnet Oil plug

Where can I get one of those Magnet Oil Drain Plugs? Anyone know where to buy one?
    2010 TW - Easton bars & clamps, cyclerack (black), jimbo shield, acerbis steel gaurds, atv seat pad, custom skid plat, more upgrades soon

I have not purchased one [yet] but Ebay item number 150652207857 appears to be what you're looking for.

Or, you can make one yourself.............instructions on this forum somewhere.

If the magnets are not of 'some special' material. The high oil temps kill them. We had a forum member that made some very nice units. After my next oil change the magnet had lost most of its hold. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    We currently do not carry this size drain plug

due to its HIGH cost.

They also don't respond to emails about their prototype. High cost? Really? Might as well tell the truth. It is due to low demand and what they can actually make money off of.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Sorry. I got one of their freebies and assumed they were in production by now.

My bad.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Is there any evidence whatsoever that these actually prolong engine life, reduce wear, or have any real positive benefit?

And before someone goes into a long rant about how this is theoretically beneficial, I clearly understand that it should work (and why), I just want proof that it does work. I am really skeptical that other than being difficult to clean and nearly as dramatic as a Biore Skin Strip commercial, it really gives long term benefit.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

KJMagnetics has high temp magnets. Normal operating temps of the "sh" type is 302F. I bought some 1/2 inch I plan on drilling and seeing if I can get a good friction fit. Maybe heat the aluminum plug with a torch and put the magnet in and let the plug shrink and cool...JB weld would probably be fine I'd just prefer epoxy free if I can.

Edit: IIRC magnets are common in automatic transmission pans and some high end vehicles magnetic plugs are stock. That is enough for me.

I just did a web search for my own edification, and thought I'd share what I found. In general, there are innumerable statements made by consumers saying things like "it couldn't hurt" and "it seems like a good idea." Then there are the claims by the manufacturers/sellers: these range from misleading to ludicrous. In my humble opinion, in an engine with an oil filter, this gadget is not likely to pay for itself over the life of the vehicle, nor is it likely to improve engine life or performance. If there was any proof they worked, someone, somewhere would show it. I cannot think of a single vehicle or engine renowned for its durability and reliability that owed its long life to an oil magnet.

This is a gimmick, on par with those ridiculous magnets people wear on their wrists.

That being said, I will be the first in line if anyone can provide proof that I should buy one.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links